Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   OVERHEATING!!!argh help? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/346175-overheating-argh-help.html)

b20civicdx 01-06-2012 06:38 PM

OVERHEATING!!!argh help?

I have a 94 civic dx with a b20 ls swap I bought the car from my friend he took out the thermostat cuz it was overheating he thought that was bad yesterday I put on in brand new an now my car over heats I flushed the system and put in straight coolant idk if my heater core is bad cuz I don't smell anti freeze and there's no leaks in the car but I still have no heat I don't think its clogged either because when I took off the hoses on the fire wall fluid came out my fans good my rads good so idk what's wrong.

Is there amy way to like test the heater core or soothing? And also my friend told me if I just connect both tubes for the heater core that might eliminate my over heating problem? Will that also mean the heater core is bad if that works? If any one has any insight into this please help me.

floyd107 01-06-2012 09:27 PM

Re: OVERHEATING!!!argh help?

your water pump might be bad or you may have a blown head gasket(sometimes your oil will look kinda milky if you gasket is blown). And i dont think running straight coolent is good ether.id suggest mixing it 50-50 with water.

GolNat 01-06-2012 09:40 PM

Yea it's probably your water pump, and its not good to run straight antifreeze because the purpose of antifreeze is to keep the water from freezing. Straight water is the best for cooling but you mix it so that it does not freeze when it gets cold out.

b20civicdx 01-07-2012 09:19 AM

Is there santa way to tell for sure its my water pump?

floyd107 01-07-2012 12:53 PM

In most cases the water pump will leak water/coolent(so it may not be clear), sometimes you will hear a weird noise due to the bearing going bad.

socalsuncar 01-09-2012 10:37 AM

i think you may think about head gasket too. does it rough start and gurgle. water may be getting trapped in combustion chamber. then burning out as it warms. may not always find water in your oil.

puckman1325 01-11-2012 08:55 PM

did you properly bleed the coolant system? there may be air in it causing your heater to blow cold any other issues with idle or anything, ie white smoke, engine running bad?

Leesautoworks 03-19-2012 09:34 PM

If your car's temperature is at hot and is having trouble cooling down, you can do one of the following to solve the problem:

1) Check the tension on the serpentine belt and adjust the tensioner if needed.

Choose this option if the serpentine belt is too loose resulting in water pump not receiving the proper amount of rotation to pump coolant

2) Check for coolant leaks at the coolant lines, radiator and reserve tank. Replace defective part.

Choose this option if the coolant lines, radiator or reserve tank is leaking so that not enough coolant returns back to the engine

3) Close or replace reserve tank cap or radiator cap

Choose this option if the reserve tank cap or radiator cap is loose or open so that hot coolant is vaporized into the atmosphere so that not enough coolant returns back to the engine

4) Plug in fan if the plug has become loose. Replace defective fan.

Choose this option if the fan is not spinning.

5) Replace defective thermostat.

Choose this option if the thermostat is siezed and is blocking the hot coolant from circulating back to the radiator to cool down before returning back to the engine

6) Top up or replace old coolant.

Choose this option if the coolant level is lower than the minimum suggested level or if it has been a while since you've last replaced the coolant

7) Perform an engine flush and replace engine oil to the proper level using proper motor viscosity grade oil.

8) Replace defective oil pump.

Check out http://www.drive-more-fix-less.com/t...reproblem.html