Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NewDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

A short while ago I had a problem where the orange Malfunction Indicator Lamp decided to stay on.

I went into the dealership and one of the sales people told me to play around with the gas-cap first, since a lot of people tend to get this as a glitch. However, after doing that I've had no luck.

I made an appointment, but that gets me irate is that I have to pay 100$ just to have them hook up some wires to see what is wrong, and that is only to see what may be wrong, and doesn't even include all the other costs.

I'm just wondering what others may know about this problem, if it is just a glitch that I could fix before then, or what not.

Thanks in advance, I'm very new to this stuff.
Old 12-23-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

Can you get the code your car is throwing? That little tidbit of info would be invaluable.
Old 12-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NewDriver is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't aware there was a code. It is just the orange symbol for the lamp which stays on when ignition is turned.
Old 12-27-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

buy a $40 OBDII code reader off ebay. plug it in the connecter near the gas pedal, it will give you a number code. then you look up what the code is from the 'engine codes' thread on this forum and it tells you exactly what the problem is. mine has paid for itself 5 times already.