Replace O2 sensor, now engine hesitates - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2010   #1
Registered!!

Scott in FL is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace O2 sensor, now engine hesitates

This is my first post, and I hope I have it in the correct forum. I couldn't find an answer to quite this exact problem.

My 2000 Honda Civic EX check engine light came on, Autozone read the code: O2 sensor circuit low voltage (bank 1, sensor 1). I replaced the forward sensor, before the catalytic converter with a Bosch universal oxygen sensor.

Cleared the check engine light by removing the backup fuse for 10 seconds.

The check engine light is now off, and the car runs fine except for the first 10 seconds or so. Every time I start out the car hesitates. I give it more gas, it hesitates once, maybe twice, and then it runs OK.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Scott in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #2
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replace O2 sensor, now engine hesitates

shouldve gotten the bosch OE type sensor that you plug in. the universals usually always cause issues.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #3
Registered!!

RonJ will become famous soon enough

Check you spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The bad O2 sensor may have fouled the spark plugs.
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #4
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
shouldve gotten the bosch OE type sensor that you plug in. the universals usually always cause issues.
+1 I replaced it with the Bosch OEM type and it works fine.

Try disconnecting the battery and see if that solve the problem.
Silver02EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #5
Registered!!

remmick69 will become famous soon enough

Its the universal 02 sensor... Same **** happened to me, just buy the ones that have the same connector as ur stock 02 sensor. I got both up and down stream from pepboys..
remmick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #6
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post

Just to clarify O2 sensor you screw in right, how does the universal differ from the OE style?
civicpapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #7
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ Its the same design, just not a specific part number that relates to the exact car its supposed to be in- probably has pig tails you need to splice into the existing wire instead of a honda type connector that just plugs in.
TRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #8
Registered!!

Scott in FL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of your help. Advance Auto said they would take the universal O2 sensor back, so I ordered an OE sensor from Honda and it works fine. No hesitation at all.
Scott in FL is offline   Reply With Quote