Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

97 LX Transmission Problems - Change or Rebuild/Replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coderLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
97 LX Transmission Problems - Change or Rebuild/Replace

Hey all,

I've been lurking for awhile since I've started trying to do my own maintenance on my '97 Civic LX ~150K miles and figured I'd ask for some advice. Right now my transmission makes a grinding noise when going from park or reverse into drive. After driving it for awhile and the engine is fully warmed up I don't notice any sort of grinding noise. From what I've read flushing the transmission fluid at this point is a terrible idea. I've also read in a few places that even changing the fluid is a bad idea.

So I'm hoping to get some input on whether or not I should bother changing the ATF out at this point or just start preparing my wallet for some transmission work. Also, would there be any advantage to replacing my existing transmission versus having it rebuilt? also,

One final question: Looking at the DIY here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...tf-change.html when I fill the transmission back up with ATF fluid do I just fill it where the dipstick is located or is there a separate fill hole/bolt that needs to come out?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 LX Transmission Problems - Change or Rebuild/Replace

you fill thru the dipstick hole. and if the fluid is really old, changing it may make it worse. its worth a try, but just prepare yourself for a new transmission. rebuilding is usually more reliable than replacing, since you have everything in the trans looked at and changed with new parts if bad. may want to see if TCI makes a rebuild kit with upgraded clutches.
Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coderLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 LX Transmission Problems - Change or Rebuild/Replace

Thank you sir. I'll try a drain and fill this weekend and prepare for a potential disaster.

If I do end up having to do a rebuild I very likely would have to take it into a shop. Any estimates on what I'd be looking at paying for parts and labor? $1500-$2000?