Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Sohc

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cRaZyTrOy48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sohc

I have a 1999 honda civic and i dont wanna spend anything above $500 for a new engine...yet....my question is will a SOHC (single over head cam) be good to work with or should i just work on my car with a stock motor till im ready to move on to a b16 or b20? PLEASE REPLY!!
Old 08-23-2009
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Sohc

seeing as im not in the mood to tell a noob to google this **** (since I at one point was also a noob) ill respond to this but only because of insomnia and EXTREME boredom. You really should have just typed www.google.com in the little address bar at the top of your page and searched.

If you want to make power without spending a lot of money. Turbo the D series. I have a friend evan with D16T that will jizz on the faces of many V8s.

If you want NA power then get a B series.

If you ask me what either one of those mean, I WILL have to kill you so hard you will die to death.
Old 08-23-2009
Registered!!

yeah ive seen those ***** pretty quick but im just starting to get into making my car quicker the only thing i have done so far is exhaust -_- but once i get a job ill start building my car head to toe
Old 08-23-2009
Registered!!

BIG RICH will become famous soon enough

3000 later and my sohc puts down 151 motor and 223 on the nitrous....

hope that helps make your decision.
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

01civictune is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about the d16 but they say that a d17 can only handle 220 bhp they are both d series but that can all be changed by changing the internals and some other things. Its all up to you if you want to turbo or swap. Still 220 bhp is enough for a car that weighs around 2500 pounds
Old 08-25-2009
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 01civictune
I don't know about the d16 but they say that a d17 can only handle 220 bhp they are both d series but that can all be changed by changing the internals and some other things. Its all up to you if you want to turbo or swap. Still 220 bhp is enough for a car that weighs around 2500 pounds
i've seen sohc d16s hold 350hp with good tuning and good parts but i wouldn't do it haha If I was looking for anything over 200brake then I'd look to invest in some internals. Honestly though, for 500 you can build a decent 5psi home made turbo and as long as your tuning is okay, you shouldn't have any probelms.
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

^best advice yet....by making my previous statement i was saying my build really isnt practical
Old 08-25-2009
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by BIG RICH
^best advice yet....by making my previous statement i was saying my build really isnt practical
Practical is subjective. If you spent 3 grand and your only putting down 155 whp ON spray, then of course it isn't practical. But my chino-friend Evan spent a grand and puts down 200 whp on a prepped D16 without spray and sports a Hondata. So I don't know how for 3 grand your making such low numbers.

In addition, 155 whp is more than what a B16 and a GSR get to the wheels. And 3 grand is less than what one of those swaps will cost you. Done right of course.

Looking back, turboing a D16 seems pretty cost effective to me....
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine

That wiki page can give you some info on what you're working with as far as what the engine can handle.

Just in MY OPINION, don't motor swap. You'll spend way more money and time than anyone should on a Honda (unless you plan on making money using the car via races or shows). Turbo or nitrous is the way to go if you must. If you want the good gas mileage, do the nitrous. If you want constant power and the sound of a blow off valve, do the turbo.

Money is most important to me when making decisions regarding my car, then time spent to maintain/chances problems will occur, etc. When it comes down to it i'd rather save the money i'd spend on big modifications and put it toward a car that has the power I want and a warranty.

But when my warranty is up and if i don't need to sell it i'm throwing a turbo on mine...
Old 08-25-2009
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by CoupedUp04
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine

That wiki page can give you some info on what you're working with as far as what the engine can handle.

Just in MY OPINION, don't motor swap. You'll spend way more money and time than anyone should on a Honda (unless you plan on making money using the car via races or shows). Turbo or nitrous is the way to go if you must. If you want the good gas mileage, do the nitrous. If you want constant power and the sound of a blow off valve, do the turbo.

Money is most important to me when making decisions regarding my car, then time spent to maintain/chances problems will occur, etc. When it comes down to it i'd rather save the money i'd spend on big modifications and put it toward a car that has the power I want and a warranty.

But when my warranty is up and if i don't need to sell it i'm throwing a turbo on mine...
most def. I swapped a B series into mine because I wanted a B series. I'm slowly building mine, when I had my b20/vtec i put down more torque then many turbo guys. But the turbo guys spent half of what I did.
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Running Riot
if you spent 3 grand and your only putting down 155 whp ON spray, then of course it isn't practical.So I don't know how for 3 grand your making such low numbers.

reading definately owns you.....i quoted myself below so you can read it again...

151 at the rollers, all motor.....223 on the gas

Old 08-25-2009
^Warranty voider

obviously clarification owns you sir.

Last edited by Running Riot; 08-25-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

from what i read from everyone i think im gonna keep working with the stock motor and then wenever the motor blows im gonna upgradee hows that?
Old 08-26-2009
Registered!!

obviously clarification owns you sir.
LMAO....how much clarification do you need? reading....its simple: left to right, top to bottom, group words into sentences and group sentences into paragraphs.....some people just make me laugh.

^nowhere did i say the 155 you quoted....nowhere did i say it was on the nitrous as you quoted. get it together man.....
Old 08-27-2009
^Warranty voider

LMAO....how much clarification do you need? reading....its simple: left to right, top to bottom, group words into sentences and group sentences into paragraphs.....some people just make me laugh.

^nowhere did i say the 155 you quoted....nowhere did i say it was on the nitrous as you quoted. get it together man.....
I was confused as to how someone could be so dumb but then I saw where your from and yeah, it explains a lot.

Let me hold your hand as we embark upon a magical journey called, proper sentence structure!

Usually, and this is the case with people that were educated in places OTHER than backwards hick towns off 95, when someone is making a point, they tie into the main idea somehow.

As you are the exception, coming from a backwards town off 95, you simply said (paraphrasing slightly) i spent 3 grand and made 155 all motor and 255 on nitrous, hope that helps you make your decision.

That doesn't make a point either way. Now if you had said something to the effect of, I spent 3 grand and I only make 155 to the wheels, with nitrous I make 255 (or 225 whatever), it would be more cost effective (remember that THIS is the point of the post) to run nitrous, or turbo or etc. Instead you make a ubiquitous (yes it is a word it's in this large book called a dic-shun-aree) statement and left it to be misconstrued (yes, that word is in the dic-shun-aree also).

Moving along..... as far as WHAT THE ORIGINAL POST IS ABOUT (you see how I am doing this? It is really quite easy once you use your brain) if you want hp numbers, keep the SOHC and boost it. If you want bling under the hood, swap in a B series.

Done.

See? Wasn't that simple? Hope you enjoyed your magical adventure. *******.
Old 08-27-2009
Registered!!

somehow i figured that someone smart enough to turn a computer on would have enough intelligence to read into what i was saying....my point was power doesnt come cheap in an all motor build with an sohc

you insisted on being condescending....

this is where i admitted what you were saying was correct...its called respect. you may know motors and horsepower but you know nothing about respect.

reading definately owns you.....i quoted myself below so you can read it again...

151 at the rollers, all motor.....223 on the gas
^i said nothing of 155 or 255....anywhere

I was confused as to how someone could be so dumb but then I saw where your from and yeah, it explains a lot. yes, i am a backwoods idiot....with an education from KSU

Let me hold your hand as we embark upon a magical journey called, proper sentence structure!

Usually, and this is the case with people that were educated in places OTHER than backwards hick towns off 95I85...its called a map, we are nowhere near 95... when someone is making a point, they tie into the main idea somehow.

As you are the exception, coming from a backwards town off 95, you simply said (paraphrasing slightly) i spent 3 grand and made 155 all motor and 255where did you come up with these numbers? on nitrous, hope that helps you make your decision.

That doesn't make a point either way. Now if you had said something to the effect of, I spent 3 grand and I only make 155 to the wheels, with nitrous I make 255 (or 225 whatever), it would be more cost effective (remember that THIS is the point of the post) to run nitrous, or turbo or etc. Instead you make a ubiquitous (yes it is a word it's in this large book called a dic-shun-aree) statement and left it to be misconstrued (yes, that word is in the dic-shun-aree also). once again, i felt that my statement could be interpreted correctly by someone intelligent enough to log on this forum and ask a question

Moving along..... as far as WHAT THE ORIGINAL POST IS ABOUT (you see how I am doing this? It is really quite easy once you use your brain) if you want hp numbers, keep the SOHC and boost it. If you want bling under the hood, swap in a B series.does being arrogant and condescending to individuals on a forum make you feel superior? does it make you forget about your inadequacies?

Done.

See? Wasn't that simple? Hope you enjoyed your magical adventure. *******.lmao....was all this worth namecalling?
Old 08-28-2009
^Warranty voider

See how simple that was?! round of applause for you sir. If you would have just been specific and clear from the get go this all would have been avoided, by just simply saying, power doesn't come cheap etc I would have said good point, I agree completely and we could have moved on with a constructive conversation. Simple.
Old 08-28-2009
Registered!!

See how simple that was?! round of applause for you sir. If you would have just been specific and clear from the get go this all would have been avoided, by just simply saying, power doesn't come cheap etc I would have said good point, I agree completely and we could have moved on with a constructive conversation. Simple.
lmao....are you like 12 years old?
Old 08-28-2009
Registered!!

dnice78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Big Rich & Running Riot, grab a beer and stop hating
Old 08-28-2009
^Warranty voider

yeah it ruins posts.

so to the thread starter, what I would do if I was you, get a drag manifold if you want to keep your a/c and find a t25 spool, something with an AR trim around 50. You may find t3/4 hybrids which will work as long as they aren't bigger than 57 trim.

You can use the internal wastegate found on most turbos, but i'd recommend an external if you plan to boost higher in the future.

Find a SMIC or a FMIC from a starion, eclipse or a 300z or something similar and a BOV valve of good quality. Don't skimp out on the wastegate or bov or you will be paying out the *** for a new engine/spool should the cheap ones fail.

FMUs aren't the greatest thing in the world but they work pretty well under 7 psi.

I'd begin at low boost, maybe 4 or 5 psi at first just to see how your engine reacts to it. Once you get more cash and you can start upgrading things go to 7lbs. Once you can afford a good tune turn it to 10-12 lbs.

General rule of thumb, 10hp/1psi so 4-5 lbs is 40-50hp. Don't get excited and push too much boost on a stock engine, when they were new yeah they could probably hold 200 whp but I imagine yours has some mileage on it so don't push it too hard unless you got the supporting mods to handle it
Old 08-28-2009
^Warranty voider

yeah it ruins posts.

so to the thread starter, what I would do if I was you, get a drag manifold if you want to keep your a/c and find a t25 spool, something with an AR trim around 50. You may find t3/4 hybrids which will work as long as they aren't bigger than 57 trim.

You can use the internal wastegate found on most turbos, but i'd recommend an external if you plan to boost higher in the future.

Find a SMIC or a FMIC from a starion, eclipse or a 300z or something similar and a BOV valve of good quality. Don't skimp out on the wastegate or bov or you will be paying out the *** for a new engine/spool should the cheap ones fail.

FMUs aren't the greatest thing in the world but they work pretty well under 7 psi.

I'd begin at low boost, maybe 4 or 5 psi at first just to see how your engine reacts to it. Once you get more cash and you can start upgrading things go to 7lbs. Once you can afford a good tune turn it to 10-12 lbs.

General rule of thumb, 10hp/1psi so 4-5 lbs is 40-50hp. Don't get excited and push too much boost on a stock engine, when they were new yeah they could probably hold 200 whp but I imagine yours has some mileage on it so don't push it too hard unless you got the supporting mods to handle it
Old 09-10-2009
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cRaZyTrOy48
from what i read from everyone i think im gonna keep working with the stock motor and then wenever the motor blows im gonna upgradee hows that?
that, sir, is a smart decision... just remember with everything you do that your main goal should be protecting your investment...
Old 09-11-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

depends how long your going to have the car for, turbos are a helluvalotta fun, but your car could be less reliable down the road, always a risk. N/A i mean upgrade to a stage 1 cam, if your driving a manual -- upgrade clutch and stage 1 L/W Flywheel, get a cold air intake (injen), full catback exhaust (thermal research), headers (preferably something name brand not like megan racing). As much as I love how a BOV sounds and how nice a turbo sounds spooling, dont waste your time with Spray, thats a gay way to get power (no offense just my opinion), plus put too much of a shot in and youll spend more than 500 for your engine
Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

StardustLily is an unknown quantity at this point

If he doesn't go over a 50 shot of nitrous, it shouldn't be THAT detrimental ne?

Turbo is usually the cheaper way because tuning for NA on D series engines is spendy (from what I have seen anyway). Just please do yourself a favour and read up VERY well and seek professional advice when doing a Turbo on a D series...I know of many horror stories of people having issues anywhere from idling issues to all out blow ups. And it is a very good idea to invest in a good EMS when doing this...