Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Throttle Body Clean up Honda Civic 2001 EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Av3Fenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Throttle Body Clean up Honda Civic 2001 EX

Hi, I'm cleaning my TB & IACV right now, and I was wondering if I could get any tips...

Am cleaning them with Brake cleaner, toothbrush, and special paper towels. The reason I'm doing it is because my car would stall as soon as I would come to a stop with my car, the RPM would drop very low, and the car would stop (Honda Civic 2001 EX 1.7), but as soon as I took the TB off I didn't notice much to clean (my first time doing this).

Basically a friend of mine used a scanner today and told me it gave him a P0505 code, and searching on the net, everything pointed to a bad IACV, now I'm not wild about buying a new one for now (200$ approx.), so I'm cleaning it, and I'd like to ask for any tips, and any other things I should look for on my car.

Here's some pics:

Sorry, but I have no knowledge in car maintenance whatsoever, this is my first time doing this actually, and every info I know I found in the last few hours reading forums online, thus, I ended up here. I'm also learning how to change the oil, and do a basic tune up as I'm writing this right now.
Old 07-15-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Throttle Body Clean up Honda Civic 2001 EX

spray all over with carb/tb cleaner. into those rectangle ports of the iac valve and all over the tb inside. and clean up the coolant ports. that crust is nasty and i think your cooling system is messed if its causing so much corrosion. may want to look at getting it flushed. did you use honda coolant?
Old 07-15-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
spray all over with carb/tb cleaner. into those rectangle ports of the iac valve and all over the tb inside. and clean up the coolant ports. that crust is nasty and i think your cooling system is messed if its causing so much corrosion. may want to look at getting it flushed. did you use honda coolant?
Thank you for reading, and by "coolant", do you mean that Antifreeze for the radiator? If so, then no, so far I've used water, and antifreeze a few months ago.

How would I flush my cooling system? I have a full gallon of 50/50 Antifreeze/coolant at hand, should i just pour it all into my radiator?
Old 07-15-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Carb cleaner ftw!

I got a TB in a box somewhere thats pretty clean w/o and of that nasty crust. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 07-15-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Carb cleaner ftw!

I got a TB in a box somewhere thats pretty clean w/o and of that nasty crust. Shoot me a PM if interested.
You are selling it? I was hoping for opinions and help from people that would know more, and this forum seemed serious, so I asked. If you're selling it, then thanks for the offer, but no thanks.
Old 07-15-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I could sell it, only if you needed it. That crust on the coolant passages looks like its reacting with the metal and eating it, otherwise it wouldnt be brown- aka, after you clean it up with carb cleaner, you might need to replace it. And if you do, you know someone on the forum that could hook you up. Good luck.