Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough
Maintenance Question

I got a '97 Civic Coupe Ex- Manual Trans. SOHC- about 155k miles, should be all stock under the hood. I'm wanting to know if someone could let me know what to do maintenance wise. A maintenance checklist or something for 155k miles would be nice.

-Thanks
Old 12-28-2008
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough
Re: Maintenance Question

Haha what an idiot... missed the 100k maintenance checklist like 2 topics down. But I was wondering how often I would need to flush/change my fluids?
Old 12-29-2008
Registered!!

Keepitmovin is an unknown quantity at this point

www.ahm-ownerlink.com
Old 12-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

fluids are usually dependent on mileage, except brake fluid which is every 3 yrs. oil is every 5k/5months, coolant is every 3-5 yrs if you have the honda long life type2, power steering is pretty much when it turns dark, trans fluid every 30k.
Old 12-29-2008
Registered!!

Okay thanks
Old 12-31-2008
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Trans fluid every 30k? That seems really often.
Old 12-31-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i actually do mine every 10k. you are only draining out 1/3 of the fluid each time. 2.9 qts and the trans housing holds at least 9 qts.
Old 12-31-2008
Registered!!

how to clean headlamp lenses?
Old 12-31-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

Rtfm.
Old 01-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
i actually do mine every 10k. you are only draining out 1/3 of the fluid each time. 2.9 qts and the trans housing holds at least 9 qts.
Doesnt the manual say like every 100k or something crazy like that? I am not trying to argue just gather information, cuz I havent changed mine since I bought the car used and I have no prior knowledge of what went on. You use honda fluid gearbox?
Old 01-01-2009
Premium Member

no it says 30k in the service manual. i always use honda fluid (atfz1).
Old 11-05-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

How would one go about changing the power steering fluid correctly?
I found this guide at eHow

http://www.ehow.com/how_4962809_chan...nda-civic.html

Just wanted to make sure this is the correct procedure
Old 11-05-2009
Premium Member

yeah that seems right, its more of a pain than anything. its easier to turn the wheel side to side if the front of the car is raised up. and youre almost guaranteed to spill something its not a single person job.
Old 11-06-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would sucking the fluid out with a pump work? Seems like it would be a bit cleaner, and a 1 man job

I'm assuming Honda Genuine is the fluid to use? I saw some PS fluid at Advance that was made by some off brand but apparently is made for Hondas. This stuff any good?
Old 11-06-2009
Premium Member

just use oem fluid. i think the point of having the car on is to get all the fluid out of the rack.
Old 11-06-2009
Premium Member

i just did it the easy way. disconnect the side hose, pour the reservoir fluid in a cup, then refill with new ps fluid. i put a towel underneath just in case, but i only spilled a few drops. use a disposable drinking cup that will fit in there. i will do it again once i drive the car around and the fluid mixes. that should get it clean enough, kinda like doing the trans fluid drain and refills. i was surprised the fluid was pretty dark, and the new stuff is almost clear.