Maintenance Question - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2008   #1  
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough
Maintenance Question

I got a '97 Civic Coupe Ex- Manual Trans. SOHC- about 155k miles, should be all stock under the hood. I'm wanting to know if someone could let me know what to do maintenance wise. A maintenance checklist or something for 155k miles would be nice.

-Thanks
civicplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #2  
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough
Re: Maintenance Question

Haha what an idiot... missed the 100k maintenance checklist like 2 topics down. But I was wondering how often I would need to flush/change my fluids?
Old 12-29-2008   #3  
Registered!!

Keepitmovin is an unknown quantity at this point

Keepitmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #4  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

fluids are usually dependent on mileage, except brake fluid which is every 3 yrs. oil is every 5k/5months, coolant is every 3-5 yrs if you have the honda long life type2, power steering is pretty much when it turns dark, trans fluid every 30k.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #5  
Registered!!

Okay thanks
Old 12-31-2008   #6  
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Trans fluid every 30k? That seems really often.
04 Honda Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #7  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i actually do mine every 10k. you are only draining out 1/3 of the fluid each time. 2.9 qts and the trans housing holds at least 9 qts.
Old 12-31-2008   #8  
Registered!!

how to clean headlamp lenses?
Old 12-31-2008   #9  
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

Rtfm.
civicsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #10  
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
i actually do mine every 10k. you are only draining out 1/3 of the fluid each time. 2.9 qts and the trans housing holds at least 9 qts.
Doesnt the manual say like every 100k or something crazy like that? I am not trying to argue just gather information, cuz I havent changed mine since I bought the car used and I have no prior knowledge of what went on. You use honda fluid gearbox?
04 Honda Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #11  
Premium Member

no it says 30k in the service manual. i always use honda fluid (atfz1).
Old 11-05-2009   #12  
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

How would one go about changing the power steering fluid correctly?
I found this guide at eHow

http://www.ehow.com/how_4962809_chan...nda-civic.html

Just wanted to make sure this is the correct procedure
Mavrick272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #13  
Premium Member

yeah that seems right, its more of a pain than anything. its easier to turn the wheel side to side if the front of the car is raised up. and youre almost guaranteed to spill something its not a single person job.
Old 11-06-2009   #14  
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would sucking the fluid out with a pump work? Seems like it would be a bit cleaner, and a 1 man job

I'm assuming Honda Genuine is the fluid to use? I saw some PS fluid at Advance that was made by some off brand but apparently is made for Hondas. This stuff any good?
Mavrick272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #15  
Premium Member

just use oem fluid. i think the point of having the car on is to get all the fluid out of the rack.
Old 11-06-2009   #16  
Premium Member

i just did it the easy way. disconnect the side hose, pour the reservoir fluid in a cup, then refill with new ps fluid. i put a towel underneath just in case, but i only spilled a few drops. use a disposable drinking cup that will fit in there. i will do it again once i drive the car around and the fluid mixes. that should get it clean enough, kinda like doing the trans fluid drain and refills. i was surprised the fluid was pretty dark, and the new stuff is almost clear.