Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Using any short ram intake off of Ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using any short ram intake off of Ebay...

i have been using a cold air intake for 3 years, been fine all along
Old 05-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

as anyone just stuck a filter right where the TB is?
Old 05-16-2007
Registered!!

jcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you really gain from the sri, that is news to me. the my experiences with the b/h series motors have been completely different. i had a sri on my 7th gen when i owned one a few years ago, but have since sold it for a '00 si. car had an ebay sri when i bought it, and was considerably slower than a buddys stock si. those h22 dyno sheets were a surprise to me, so i felt i should post, but i guess your d17s don't respond the same way as the b/h series motors like i figured they would.
Old 05-16-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no they dont. the most anyone here gets out of i/h/e is maybe 5whp with some low end loss. its a very unresponsive motor that seems to be tuned well from the factory. at one point i had i/h/e, cam gear, pnp head, vafcII all tuned on the dyno and i barely made +10whp until a year later when the gasket gave out.
Old 05-16-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcivic01
just curious, is the k&n cold air or short ram?
they make both for 7th gen.
Old 05-16-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcivic01
but i guess your d17s don't respond the same way as the b/h series motors like i figured they would.
no they don't. they just plain don't respond to anything! they're turds without heavy mods and a tune.
Old 05-16-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

heres my weapon-r secret intake. i mainly like the oiled foam filter cause i live in a very dusty place with farm and pollens and it catches everything. also sounds much quieter than normal, and makes some cool noises when shifting. not annoying at all and i usually cant hear it over the exhaust.

Old 05-16-2007
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

do you get heat soak gearbox? I have an injen cai but right now i'm using it as a short ram. summer is coming up and i am wondering if i should put on the 2nd piece and run it as a cold air, but so lazy to make modifications to make it fit hhaha.
Old 05-16-2007
Premium Member

eh its not really noticable. after i drive it hard for a while it starts to get sluggish, but usually no problem. even when pipe gets hot it performs the same in normal driving.
Old 05-17-2007
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Just an FYI everyone, I've had an AEM short ram AND AEM cold air. BOTH cracked off on the mount and BOTH rubbed on the hood. Don't be fooled.

Buy it for looks, not performance.
Old 05-17-2007
Premium Member

if you want the best quality and fitment without hassle, go with K&N and just change the filter with something better. their typhoon/fipk intakes are the best in that area and will prolly outlast the car. they thought of the mounting better than aem too.
Old 05-17-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
if you want the best quality and fitment without hassle, go with K&N and just change the filter with something better. their typhoon/fipk intakes are the best in that area and will prolly outlast the car. they thought of the mounting better than aem too.
what's better than K&N? i've never had a problem with their filters and thought they were pretty good.
Old 05-17-2007
Premium Member

K&N only filters at 92% when new and 96% when dirty. this does not meet oem 98% filtration standards. reasons why dealer will now void warranty if you have their filter, and also why aem junked all their cotton gauze filters and solely sells dryflow paper cones for their intakes. but you asked what was better, well the dryflow is paper and doesnt use oil, that is a good choice. also the weapon-r SW1 foam filter is good, it has oil but its sticky not like the other stuff. they only make that one in two size, 3 and 4 inch. the dryflow has every size you could need.
Old 05-17-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

yea this is a late post of mine but abotu that h22...its not that i dont believe the drop or anything u said.. but our motors and the b/h seires motors were designed way differently...ares is just a toaster. hard ot make anything good out of it...only a handful of people have actually dominated the n/a super power class for our d17s.... i have an injen too and since im in the south i cant connecty the cold air part cuz water might get in n i dont have money for all that new stuff inside. hey...maybe this has been covered. but what does HEAT SOAK mean..is that literal ...liek it literally gets soaked with heat that it stops performing well or what?
Old 05-17-2007
Premium Member

it just means hot air getting sucked in the engine. the hotter the air, the less oxygen is available per unit area compared to colder air. less oxygen = less power basically.
Old 05-17-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

not that it would matter cause our cars dont have that much to begin with anyway
Old 05-18-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
K&N only filters at 92% when new and 96% when dirty. this does not meet oem 98% filtration standards. reasons why dealer will now void warranty if you have their filter, and also why aem junked all their cotton gauze filters and solely sells dryflow paper cones for their intakes. but you asked what was better, well the dryflow is paper and doesnt use oil, that is a good choice. also the weapon-r SW1 foam filter is good, it has oil but its sticky not like the other stuff. they only make that one in two size, 3 and 4 inch. the dryflow has every size you could need.
i may look into the dryflow then. i think my intake is around 3", but might be 2.5". thanks for the explaination!