Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Using any short ram intake off of Ebay... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/294768-using-any-short-ram-intake-off-ebay.html)

disflipkevc702 05-15-2007 04:57 PM

Using any short ram intake off of Ebay...

will buying any brand of short ram/cold air intake off of Ebay be ok to use in our cars? because i heard AEM is a really good intake and it requires oiling it and stuff, but the one i bought from ebay is some unknown brand and it doesn't need any oiling or whatever... is there any difference in quality? is it ok to use unknown brands of intakes from ebay??? thanx

filipinoguy05 05-15-2007 05:07 PM

Re: Using any short ram intake off of Ebay...

You get what you pay for. Nuff said.

jcivic01 05-15-2007 05:12 PM

i would stay away from the short rams. check out my post on clubsi

http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads....1398877/page/1

Rennen 05-15-2007 05:16 PM

i would stay away from ebay intakes. i had one, and it blew. the fitment sucked and the filter was awful. the pipe did not even clear my hood, so it got rub marks from scraping against the bottom of it. try to get a used injen short ram off this site. they're only about $60.

DsevenEm2 05-15-2007 07:42 PM

i had an ebay intake. its better for looks or for a temporary setup. something to base for ur next intake purchase...u got it for liek 30 bucks right?

electric130 05-15-2007 08:21 PM

considering our cars and most OBDII stuff doesn't really respond too much to changes like SRI's or CAI's (without a tune), they don't really do much except give you better filtration. that is as long as you have a good filter like K&N, AEM, Injen, etc. i have a K&N SRI and didn't notice any change after installing it except the engine was louder. as others said, you get what you pay for.

RHCP0801 05-15-2007 09:56 PM

yea i had one ebay intake and it cracked by the welding point and i bought another one and the fitment sucked ass

gearbox 05-15-2007 10:04 PM

new aem comes with paper filter that does not get oiled. ebay intake sucks for many reasons.

Alpha 5 05-15-2007 10:14 PM

Well, I think that answeres that...

disflipkevc702 05-16-2007 02:39 AM

oh i see , i see... but i guess its still better than our stock intake right? and yeah i did notice my engine is a little louder when i installed the SRI...

mrtrinh 05-16-2007 03:29 AM

an intake is an intake, it's a piece of pipe with a filter at the end. Only thing you have to worry about is the fitment and a good filter. it is a waste of money to buy an intake though because like someone said earlier there will be very minimumal gains. buy it if you want the sound but other than that save your money:tdown:

DsevenEm2 05-16-2007 12:34 PM

true life.

jcivic01 05-16-2007 01:15 PM

did you read that clubsi post? the car lost 19hp from an ebay short ram. aside from the difference in sound, the stock intake is much better than the ebay short ram, or even the aem short ram for that matter.

DaddyFatSacks 05-16-2007 01:31 PM

I like the AEM sri, dryflow filter, great fit, carb exept and just a well engineered intake.

X0DuZz 05-16-2007 01:36 PM

geez... intake is a intake for reals...the only thing that really does cause a problem is fitment.

disflipkevc702 05-16-2007 01:47 PM

they say that since the filter of a short ram is located basically in the middle of the engine where it takes in a lot of hot air then it did with the stock intake, resulting in a loss of horsepower, but that's not true because when the car is running, the hot air in the engine is being changed with cooler air... right??

gearbox 05-16-2007 02:06 PM

um yea lol air is moving through the bay as you are driving. i am picky about intakes but its purely based on sound. aem and K&N are much too loud and rice for me.

DsevenEm2 05-16-2007 02:10 PM

yea i agree with gearbox...strictly for sound and aem is really really loud. im getting a carbon charger intake from top zero soon so we'll see how that sounds.

Originally Posted by jcivic01 (Post 4189917)
did you read that clubsi post? the car lost 19hp from an ebay short ram. aside from the difference in sound, the stock intake is much better than the ebay short ram, or even the aem short ram for that matter.

i dont wana jump to conclusions, but um...using context clues, im guessing clubsi is not a 7th gen site. different cars respond wayyy differently to different mods. when the rsx first came out back in 01 or 02, the first AEM intake developed for its k-series made an increase of almost 12 hp. when they bolted up headers for the first time, it almost lost 9 hp. on our cars, i really doubt theyd lose anymore than 5 or 6 horses from an intake. wether it be from ebay or top name brand..

disflipkevc702 05-16-2007 02:15 PM

so, some ppl say that an ebay intake with an ebay header will actually decrease hp? and does anyone know how often to change those intake filters?

gearbox 05-16-2007 02:18 PM

yea we are talking 1-2hp changes tops and thats variable based on conditions. and about the intake tubes getting hot, that has almost nothing to do with the temp of the air coming in. it moves so fast the intake tube has almost no time to add extra heat. as for engine bay being hot, well thats how cars operate. its not any difference youre gonna feel anyway. i change my oiled foam filter every year. i have two now so i can swap a good one on and then take my time cleaning and drying the old one. i think every year is good for any filter. well not K&N, their filters plain suck. they should go in garbage and be replaced by something better.

jcivic01 05-16-2007 02:52 PM

the dyno sheets on clubsi were for a 99 predude sh with a jdm h22. i know the h22 isnt a d17, but similar results have been found with other engines. as for driving flushing the engine bay with cold air, on the dyno, there was a huge fan in front of the car and the hood was open. this would do a better job flushing the hot air than just driving down the road. these power losses were the result to heat soak, and since the intake was made from aluminum, and aluminum transfers heat very well, must aluminum short ram intakes, and many aluminum cold air intakes will lose power. it has more to do with the physics of the situation than the actual engine itself. if you dont care about the power loss, and want the sound, i'd say go for it. just trying to help inform you of some of the information that i have learned.

DsevenEm2 05-16-2007 03:27 PM

yea i agree for the most part i jus cant understand our engines ever losing that much hp from an intake..that kinda thing should be illegal lol. so bottomline...if u dont care about losing a little or gaining nothing, than an ebay intake should be fine. i had one first before i got my injen and used it for months. nothing ever broke, fitment suckd but it did look nice.. all shiny n chrome and the sound was cool. I wouldnt suggest it being a permanent intake system on your car. but just ot try it and for the price...why not?

gearbox 05-16-2007 04:29 PM

yea idk, my metal tube intake feels better than stock did, not much but its there, even with the tube super hot. if you study thermodynamics some more and take into account the velocity of air moving through the pipe, you will realize the pipe temp does not affect the air temp by much. even a throttle body with super hot coolant running through it will not heat the air by more than 1 degree C. i very much doubt the so called heat soak will rob more than a few hp on a hot day. if you are talking about actual heat from the engine bay, there is nothing you can do aside from taking off the hood. the stock intake will have the same problem. dont blame it on the intake tube just because its metal.

jcivic01 05-16-2007 05:21 PM

i'm just posting actual, yes actual dyno sheets that showed roughly a 9% loss in power. im sorry you find this hard to believe, but if you would rather trust your butt dyno over these numbers just to have the peace of mind that you didn't waste your money, go ahead. believe what you want. i just thought these numbers would help you make your mind. what someone on the site who has a 7th gen should do is test different intakes on a d17. that would settle the argument.

gearbox 05-16-2007 05:37 PM

i already did, a metal K&N typhoon intake made an extra 2whp over stock on the dyno. if you want the graph, i can try and dig through my backups. i really dont care, its not something that matters to me. it doesnt change the way the car drives. i use the weapon-r intake now because i love the looks and sound.

mrtrinh 05-16-2007 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4190045)
i already did, a metal K&N typhoon intake made an extra 2whp over stock on the dyno. if you want the graph, i can try and dig through my backups. i really dont care, its not something that matters to me. it doesnt change the way the car drives. i use the weapon-r intake now because i love the looks and sound.

don't doubt gearbox haha, this guy has gone through numerous intakes

jcivic01 05-16-2007 06:57 PM

i've heard good things about the weapon-r. just curious, is the k&n cold air or short ram?

RHCP0801 05-16-2007 07:06 PM

owned by gearbox

k&n is short ram

clue14 05-16-2007 07:38 PM

i built my own intake from the cold air pc of a AEM c/a intake piece from a lancer it works fine i made it fit and it didnt make anything louder?

im just wonderin if its safe?
i think it is but i also like to be shown things with apples

gearbox 05-16-2007 07:40 PM

K&N also makes a cold air typhoon, i would never use a cold air tho. i like my engine.