Spark plug question... - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2006   #1
TAQUITOS!!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
Spark plug question...

So I've been trying to read up on which ones are best, but while searching, I'm coming up with spark plugs for those with turbo's or other mods.

My car is stock so I'm pretty much looking for a replacement to stock spark plugs. Would it be in my best interest to use the OEM spark plugs or pick up a different brand?

Also, what kind of socket should I get for the plugs? I'm seeing a bunch of different sizes. I only have a torque wrench for 1/2" drive.

Thanks for looking.
gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #2
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I know that NGK and Denso are pretty good, there has been debates of what types that would be good on our cars, copper, platinum or iridium. I believe stock plugs are platinum. Yesterday I was looking at some NGK iridium spark plugs pretty expensive, but I think I will still go with it and try it out.
DDragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #3
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Here is what I do... first of all the idea that you plugs can go 110k miles is BS. I go with an old school train of thought that I would rather change them more often with cheaper plugs than less often for plugs that cost 4-5 times more. So I go about 25-30k on cheap platinum. Yes there are cheap and expensive platinum, and the difference is the core. In the cheap ones you have a copper core where as the expensive ones you have a platinum core, you are looking around $2-3 versus $15-20 respectively. You will not get any better performance or anything like that out of them, the only reason for having a platinum core is to make the plug last longer, but not 5 times longer.

As for the turbo ones and all that, don't worry about that stuff. The only reason for that is because if you have some super powerful engine it may need more power to cause a proper spark, in which case you also need a strong ignition coil(s). You may also want to change the heat rating of the plug to prevent pre-ignition, but since you don't fall into this category, don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDragon7
I know that NGK and Denso are pretty good, there has been debates of what types that would be good on our cars, copper, platinum or iridium. I believe stock plugs are platinum. Yesterday I was looking at some NGK iridium spark plugs pretty expensive, but I think I will still go with it and try it out.

Stock plugs a platinum tip and core... quite costly as you mentioned.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 03-13-2006 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #4
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I would just go with OE
CuRiOuSfIsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #5
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
platinum runs too hot which is bad for turbo. For a regular civic, ngk v-power copper plugs will do just fine. $8 for 4 of em and they work just as good as iridium.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #6
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
when you get your spark plugs make shoure you gap them to 0.04
goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #7
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
how do you gap them? i've change spark plugs on my family van and my brother car, and my own honda prelude...i just tighten dem just enough usin the extention by hand, den turn it a half turn more with the umm...dunno wut its called...haha

o the socket wrench..

Last edited by CIVIC X3; 03-13-2006 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
CIVIC X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #8
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
gap is actually checking the space between ground electrode and center electrode. they sell gap tools like a disc that you slip inbetween and read how much gap there is. they are supposed to come pregapped but you never know. then when installing, yes you need to torque them to spec. that means tightening 13ft/lbs with a torque wrench.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #9
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
You aren't suppose to gap platinum plugs. The little tiny wire the is the electrode may get damaged in the gaping process.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #10
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
socket you get is a 5/8 spark plug socket. harbor freight (store only apparently as I can't find it online) has a 5/8 spark plug socket (with wobble joint) on what I think is like a 8-10 inch socket extension. or jsut go to autozone or something and ask for the basic 3/8 socket kit. it has a driver and a spark plug socket, with a rubber insert to hold onto the spark plug.

something tells me you've already found this info out, as I'm trying to respond to a 5 day old post.....
shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #11
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
85,000 miles on the oem denso plugs. ill be replacing them with the same, they have done their job well thusfar, no reason for me to change. and you should gap them .044
ctx66 is offline   Reply With Quote