Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Spark plug question... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/251695-spark-plug-question.html)

gh0st 03-13-2006 03:46 PM

Spark plug question...

So I've been trying to read up on which ones are best, but while searching, I'm coming up with spark plugs for those with turbo's or other mods.

My car is stock so I'm pretty much looking for a replacement to stock spark plugs. Would it be in my best interest to use the OEM spark plugs or pick up a different brand?

Also, what kind of socket should I get for the plugs? I'm seeing a bunch of different sizes. I only have a torque wrench for 1/2" drive.

Thanks for looking.

DDragon7 03-13-2006 04:09 PM

I know that NGK and Denso are pretty good, there has been debates of what types that would be good on our cars, copper, platinum or iridium. I believe stock plugs are platinum. Yesterday I was looking at some NGK iridium spark plugs pretty expensive, but I think I will still go with it and try it out.

Jrfish007 03-13-2006 04:12 PM

Here is what I do... first of all the idea that you plugs can go 110k miles is BS. I go with an old school train of thought that I would rather change them more often with cheaper plugs than less often for plugs that cost 4-5 times more. So I go about 25-30k on cheap platinum. Yes there are cheap and expensive platinum, and the difference is the core. In the cheap ones you have a copper core where as the expensive ones you have a platinum core, you are looking around $2-3 versus $15-20 respectively. You will not get any better performance or anything like that out of them, the only reason for having a platinum core is to make the plug last longer, but not 5 times longer.

As for the turbo ones and all that, don't worry about that stuff. The only reason for that is because if you have some super powerful engine it may need more power to cause a proper spark, in which case you also need a strong ignition coil(s). You may also want to change the heat rating of the plug to prevent pre-ignition, but since you don't fall into this category, don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by DDragon7
I know that NGK and Denso are pretty good, there has been debates of what types that would be good on our cars, copper, platinum or iridium. I believe stock plugs are platinum. Yesterday I was looking at some NGK iridium spark plugs pretty expensive, but I think I will still go with it and try it out.

Stock plugs a platinum tip and core... quite costly as you mentioned.

CuRiOuSfIsH 03-13-2006 04:39 PM

I would just go with OE

gearbox 03-13-2006 04:40 PM

platinum runs too hot which is bad for turbo. For a regular civic, ngk v-power copper plugs will do just fine. $8 for 4 of em and they work just as good as iridium.

goodtimes 03-13-2006 09:43 PM

when you get your spark plugs make shoure you gap them to 0.04

CIVIC X3 03-13-2006 10:05 PM

how do you gap them? i've change spark plugs on my family van and my brother car, and my own honda prelude...i just tighten dem just enough usin the extention by hand, den turn it a half turn more with the umm...dunno wut its called...haha

o the socket wrench..

gearbox 03-13-2006 10:26 PM

gap is actually checking the space between ground electrode and center electrode. they sell gap tools like a disc that you slip inbetween and read how much gap there is. they are supposed to come pregapped but you never know. then when installing, yes you need to torque them to spec. that means tightening 13ft/lbs with a torque wrench.

Jrfish007 03-14-2006 07:26 AM

You aren't suppose to gap platinum plugs. The little tiny wire the is the electrode may get damaged in the gaping process.

shroomster 03-19-2006 07:54 AM

socket you get is a 5/8 spark plug socket. harbor freight (store only apparently as I can't find it online) has a 5/8 spark plug socket (with wobble joint) on what I think is like a 8-10 inch socket extension. or jsut go to autozone or something and ask for the basic 3/8 socket kit. it has a driver and a spark plug socket, with a rubber insert to hold onto the spark plug.

something tells me you've already found this info out, as I'm trying to respond to a 5 day old post.....

ctx66 03-23-2006 12:30 PM

85,000 miles on the oem denso plugs. ill be replacing them with the same, they have done their job well thusfar, no reason for me to change. and you should gap them .044