Tranny Fluid...Read before you flame - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2006   #1
Registered!!

civichxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny Fluid...Read before you flame

Ok so I know what you are supposed to use for Tranny fluid and I know the recommended weight and all the Jazz but I have a little bit of information that may be of some use......before the incident which follows I used to experience the standard 01 civic popping in and out of 5th and 2nd gear syndrom. I never gave it any thought until I had to install new driveaxles a little while back and I noticed how thin the tranny fluid was for this a Manual transmission. I have had some regular cars and sports fast cars and always have had manuals and always had used a heavy gear oil for lube. So when I drained it all out to do the driveaxles I replaced it with 85w 140 gear oil (my standard choice). So after reassembly and driving the car around for a few days I noticed that the grinds had completly left me and to this day about 50k miles those ghosts have not returned. Wondering if anyone has tried this and if they met with success.
Thanx
Brian
civichxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #2
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I use the honda stuff. Never had a problem yet. I flush it like every five oil changes to check for signs of trouble. Its cheap insurance and it keeps it shifting nicely. I beat the CRAP out of my car, lol.
02fpcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #3
Registered!!

civichxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats good too I suppose but what I was getting to is I dont have to flush it out...havnt in around 50k. It actually got rid of some problems I was having too. Thought it may have been some useful info.
civichxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #4
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Yep. I wouldnt think flushing it as often as I do would be neccesay but IDK. I have heard good things about GM syncromesh but IDK if its suited for our trans.
02fpcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006   #5
Registered!!

Ricky is an unknown quantity at this point
it's best to just use the Honda oil it work good no problem here ...
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote