Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taehoshi is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Coolant

I checked my engine coolant today and noticed it was a bit under the minimum point. I bought some coolant today and was wondering if im supposed to just top it up to the proper level or remove the old coolant altogether. And if i have to remove the old coolant where is the plug release located? yeah, im a newb.

thanks for your help.
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
if it is below the minimum line, fill it up between the min and max line. You dont have to remove the old coolant, just top it off. Its better to buy a 50/50 pre mix of coolant vs. most that are just straight antifreeze.

Now if you want to drain the coolant from the overflow tank and refill, you can unbolt it and pull the tank out and drain it, or to remove the coolant from the radiator, there is a plug underneath the radiator to drain it. Also there is one on the block, but unless you have some good tools to remove that bolt and some patience, no need to worry about it. it drains the coolant from the block that is in there, but draining the radiator is ok.

the above is really is you are adding new coolant to the system.
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

taehoshi is an unknown quantity at this point
the coolant in my car is a few years old. is it ok to mix the existing coolant with the new coolant i bought today? theyre different brands. ty for your help, btw.
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
if you are just topping off the overflow tank then its ok, but if you are adding a bunch in there for some reason, I would just drain and refill.
Old 10-26-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
BTW, coolant is very toxic and sweet, so must animals will love to lick it up. If a dog walks through it, they can have enough on the feet that if they lick it, it will kill them, so be careful with anti freeze, unless you really don't like your neighbors dog.

You may want to look into why your coolant is low. Check it agian in a couple oif days and then agian in a few weeks, if it is low agian, start to worry about where the fluid is going.
Old 10-26-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I top mine off at the full mark when hot, and then always check when hot. Makes it easy to monitor. Outside temps cause some fluctuation.
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

GMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
The coolant/antifreeze should be changed periodiocally to renew the corrosion inhibitors.
Old 10-27-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CraigW
I top mine off at the full mark when hot, and then always check when hot. Makes it easy to monitor. Outside temps cause some fluctuation.
thats what i do. mine can be below the min. point when cold, but when the motor reaches normal operating temperature, it's fine.