Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Amsoil syncromesh

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Amsoil syncromesh

I thinking changing my tranny oil soon. I was considering getting amsoil syncromesh. According to the Amsoil catalog, the tranny fluid meets GM, and chrysler specifications. It doesn't say anything about Honda's.

Would it be ok to use this?? or not?? and also why??

btw, I'm looking for MTF, since my car is stick. Not looking for ATF.

Last edited by phuviano; 07-19-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
isn't it GM syncromesh? ... or are they the same?

if it is the same, then tons of ppl are using GMS on honda-tech
Old 07-19-2005

GM has syncromesh, but Amsoil just came out with Syncromesh too.
Old 07-19-2005
Registered!!

VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Just stick with the Honda stuff. I've never used Amsoil, but my car just didn't feel right with Redline in the tranny. I dumped it and went back to Honda Genuine, and it's all good again.
Old 10-25-2006

Well, I'm bringing back my own thread from the dead. Its been over a year since I started this thread. I had nobody put any useful info on my thread, so I figured I would answer my own question.

About 2 or 3 months I changed my tranny fluid for the first time. I used Honda MTF, obviously, because you can't go wrong with OEM. I read about people using Redline, and they would say Honda MTF works better. So I just changed the fluid with Honda MTF. For the first a couple of days, it would shift pretty smoothly. I still had the grinding feeling in 2nd gear sometimes. Everyone knows what I mean about the slight grinding feeling in 2nd gear. After about a month or so, the shifting seems to go back to normal as it was, before I did the tranny flush. It still shifted fine, I don't have any problems shifting. It just didn't feel as smooth as the first day I changed the tranny fluid. I know obiviously it won't feel as smooth over time.

I recently bought Amsoil MTF Syncromesh. I changed the MTF this Saturday, its Wednesday now. The shifts are very very smooth with Amsoil MTF. I don't feel the 2nd gear grind anymore. I'm very satisfied with Amsoil Syncromesh so far. The shift are even smoother than Honda MTF. I'm comparing the using Honda MTF on the first week versus, Amsoil Syncromesh for the first week. Obivioulsy I'm not comparing 2 to 3 month old Honda MTF to barely a week old Amsoil.

I will update this info on how well it works. If it ends up being crap, I will end up just changing back to Honda MTF and leaving it at that. So far, so good.

So has anyone else tried Amsoil Syncromesh in there 7thgen???
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Can't commend on the amsoil, but whoever says Honda MTF feels better than RL MTL needs to have their head checked.. the difference for me was night and day, RL was much better.
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

fatal Error is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Amsoil everything....use it it's the best stuff imo this is perfectly ok to use I've used it before and never had a problem...Good luck
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
cant go wrong w/royal purple, its all i use in my car
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
has this been updated? i wanna know i grind in 2nd rarely but mostly in 3rd
Old 10-25-2006

Originally Posted by ctx66
Can't commend on the amsoil, but whoever says Honda MTF feels better than RL MTL needs to have their head checked.. the difference for me was night and day, RL was much better.
Just to let you know, I wasn't referring to the comment above about the Redline by VTEC01EX. I've read many other comments by other members on this board, and most said Redline MTF doesn't work well.

I've read about redline MTF on other civic forums as well, and most people on those forums all say Honda MTF works better. I dunno though, because I have not tried Redline MTF.

If it works well for you, stick with it.

Originally Posted by fatal Error
I use Amsoil everything....use it it's the best stuff imo this is perfectly ok to use I've used it before and never had a problem...Good luck
Yeah I like Amsoil, that's why I'm trying it out. I'm currently using Amsoil 5w20 Motor Oil in my Engine as well.

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
has this been updated? i wanna know i grind in 2nd rarely but mostly in 3rd
Well, like I said before "So far, so good". So no problems so far, just improvements over Honda MTF. I'll post up here in another week to tell you if its working well or not.

Last edited by phuviano; 10-25-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I used this for ~15k miles ... very very good stuff ... very very smooth shifting.

I also used redline mt90 [recommended by crsx members] and I hated it ... there was a noticable difference in my acceleration [slower, actually.] ... stuff's too thick.

fyi, honda came out w/ a new MTF for their cars ... but they aren't selling any to the public until their old MTF supplies are exhausted ... ;P
Old 10-25-2006

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
fyi, honda came out w/ a new MTF for their cars ... but they aren't selling any to the public until their old MTF supplies are exhausted ... ;P
Good to know, but as long as I don't have the 2nd gear grind, I'm ok with Amsoil.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I'm adding my two pennies here too. I've changed my tranny fluid every second oil change since about 60000km. A little too frequent I know, but I figure as long as I'm tooling about down there, may as well do something more, and it's not even that expensive anyway. I've run the Redline MTF the last two times I changed my tranny fluid, and it feels pretty good, especially for the first 10000km's. Very smooth, more so than when I was changing with Honda MTF, but then again I haven't gone BACK to the Honda stuff since then so the comparison is a little skewed (engine/tranny showing a little more wear than the last time I used Honda). I'm going to try the Motul synthetic stuff for kicks this next time (maint light is now on). I think I'm turning into a Motul *****.
Old 10-25-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
if anyone used teh GM one and this....how would u compare it?
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

xkimsungminx is an unknown quantity at this point
just wondering.. how often are you supposed to change your tranny fluid? i probably dont have enough miles on my car to need a tranny fluid change, but just wana know for future's sake i guess.. thanks!
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Well, chances are they were using the wrong fluid like a poster used above. You're not supposed to use MT90, you're supposed to use MTL. MTL is an excellent fluid that i would recommend to anyone.

In regards to how to change your mtf.. it's pretty easy. You just drop the drain plug, drain the fluid out. Refill until you have around 1.6qt's or until it starts coming out of the fill hole. I like to use a suction gun to put the fluid in. It's also important for the car to be fairly level when putting the fluid back in so that you get the right amount in. Unless you have a premeasured amount of fluid in a container, then i suppose it wouldnt matter if the car was level or not.
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

MarkieMark will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
if anyone used teh GM one and this....how would u compare it?
i've used the gm syncromesh..
but not on the civic. i changed my dad's ol' 89' prelude 2.0si.
shifting before sucked a$$. it's hard to get into reverse, sometimes second
grinds a lil, and when it's cold shifting feels hard and notchy. you would have
to force it into gear. but after syncromesh def. noticed a change. pretty much
all the problems were solved. much smoother shifting.
Old 10-27-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by ctx66
Well, chances are they were using the wrong fluid like a poster used above. You're not supposed to use MT90, you're supposed to use MTL. MTL is an excellent fluid that i would recommend to anyone.

In regards to how to change your mtf.. it's pretty easy. You just drop the drain plug, drain the fluid out. Refill until you have around 1.6qt's or until it starts coming out of the fill hole. I like to use a suction gun to put the fluid in. It's also important for the car to be fairly level when putting the fluid back in so that you get the right amount in. Unless you have a premeasured amount of fluid in a container, then i suppose it wouldnt matter if the car was level or not.
yeah, I realized that much later.

I was reading reviews on clubrsx and more people preferred the mt90 over mtl ... I don't know why... so that's what I went off of.

Either way ... AMSOIL does great.
Old 11-08-2006
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
been running GM Synchromesh since i bought the car because alot of people on honda-tech and honda-acura.net have been talking bout how smooth it is...oh it is it issss lol
Old 03-11-2010
Registered!!

speedjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Amsoil syncromesh

My AMSOIL tranny fluid just came from GTASynthetics.com yesterday, so I had a chance to put it in and see if I could feel the difference on the way to work, and wow.. It's like a brand new car. Definitely going to stick with AMSOIL. I was using the Mobil 1 stuff before and it wasn't this smooth..