Trans issue 03 LX coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-GoGo-coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Trans issue 03 LX coupe

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for reading and responding to my post. I am new to this forum and have found most information to be helpful just can't seem to get a straight answer on the issue I am having. I will try to make this as brief as possible. I recently purchased a 2003 lx coupe which on test drive felt solid and had no issues. But I've noticed that when the car is cold, and when I say cold I mean after not being driven long enough for the engine to cool down, the transmission will shift kinda hard into reverse and then from 2nd to 3rd it will slip briefly and then go into gear. (like it's a manual and will cause you and the whole car to "shift" with it). I did a drain and refill on it yesterday and used OEM fluid and it's still the same. I have read on here people having similar issues but could never find a remedy. When the car is warmed up and I've been driving for a while it doesn't do this at all. Are there any additives that will help with this problem? I have read on here that there were known issues with this year tranny but I don't think honda would do anything about it since it's got 188k miles. I spoke with the previous owner (bought car from a dealer and found the owner on facebook) and she stated she'd never had any issues with the tranny and this is a one owner car. I'm at a loss really.
Old 10-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trans issue 03 LX coupe

and then from 2nd to 3rd it will slip briefly and then go into gear
That's probably a "flare". Sounds like it is about time for a trans job.

but I don't think honda would do anything about it since it's got 188k miles.
Warranty was up long ago. You own the car, and you own any problems it has.

HTH
Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

Well thanks for getting back to me on that. I'll have to baby it until I can afford to have something done. More worried about the timing belt since the previous owner had never had it changed so I'm going to have that done first. I guess for $3k I have to expect some issues.
Old 10-02-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

How bad is the flare? How many rpms? A few members on here have the same issue ( gearbox being one) so it doesnt forsure mean your trans is gonna dye soon.
Old 10-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you might be able to baby it for a few more yrs. just depends.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

wake up the baby and get it fixed? You will make it worse!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

The flare is minimal really maybe 1 notch on the tach and it's. I have been letting it warm up for a little bit before driving it and that has been helping quite a bit. Do we know why this is happening? I have read a few things on here and design issues or something with the tranny and the internal "strainer". I was looking more towards getting a response letting me know what the possible causes were and maybe how to fix it.
Old 10-06-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

eventually will need to be rebuilt. it depends, but usually excess wear of the secondary clutch, torque converter issues, and clogged internal filter are to blame. hard to say how long but it could last another 50k or more before it wont drive.
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Thanks. I'll get with the shop to see how much a rebuild will be and go from there. I am picking it up today from the shop after having the timing belt, water pump, along with gaskets and seals replaced. There was also a recall on the headlight switch that they are replacing and fixing some issue with the seatbelt.