DIY - DX/LX head swap to EX Vtec

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Nokturnl
umm, yeah. The head (esp. if milled) Will have a higher compression. With out vtec running you will have a better cam profile anyways to boot. The EX cam is hotter than the LX/dx ...not by much but every little bit helps!

Do not do this swap and NOT wire in a VAFC. Unless Vtec is engaged your only gonna have 1 intake valve open, Vtec is what allows BOTH valves to open.

I did my swap and had to wait a week for my VAFC and let me tell you above 5000 rpm to car did NOT have any power, again due to only 1 intake valve open. So boosting and not having VTEC makes no sence what so ever, it would probley cause harm to the engine if anything.
Old 04-11-2005
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DIZZLE
Do not do this swap and NOT wire in a VAFC. Unless Vtec is engaged your only gonna have 1 intake valve open, Vtec is what allows BOTH valves to open.

I did my swap and had to wait a week for my VAFC and let me tell you above 5000 rpm to car did NOT have any power, again due to only 1 intake valve open. So boosting and not having VTEC makes no sence what so ever, it would probley cause harm to the engine if anything.
can you elaborate
Old 04-11-2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
Originally Posted by dannn
can you elaborate
basically i had the same secenario at one point.. i was driving my car around too without the vafc control and it the same way it used to without the vtec... it weird cause when you go from dx/lx to ex vtec then go back again then you really notice a difference... if you want to elaborate more than go to this link

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=188161

cause they explain more about how vtec works on SOHC engines
Old 04-11-2005
Boosted 04

joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
i read threw a few pages on this and couldnt find it...sorry if it was already anwsered....can you just a use a vafc instead of a vafc2
Old 04-12-2005

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
Originally Posted by joshb_
i read threw a few pages on this and couldnt find it...sorry if it was already anwsered....can you just a use a vafc instead of a vafc2
go here
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=155261
Old 04-12-2005
Boosted 04

joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
thanks
Old 04-12-2005
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
i heard you cant use the vafc
somone said only the vafc 2 works for the swap
Old 04-12-2005
Boosted 04

really? damnit ill just get the vafc 2 to be sure then
Old 04-13-2005

Originally Posted by dannn
i heard you cant use the vafc
somone said only the vafc 2 works for the swap
who said that?...if you really want to get technical then "apexi" also said that the vafc2 doesnt work in our cars..... did we show them wrong.. but i think me and a few others have done the swap but we all have used the vafc2 and never tried using the vafc... as for using the vafc i know a few members on here that actually have used a vafc on there cars... thats the purpose of buying the diodes from radio shack to make it run properly.... but if you really want to save money then get the vafc and buy the diodes from radio shack.. there like a dollar and some change or something like that... but if you want to be safe then get the the vafc2... plus the vafc2 is already compatible and can also be used on your turbo setup and if you decide to do a motor swap down the road you can also use it for that to
Old 04-13-2005

anyways to stay on topic about the head swap.. my car is still running fine.. i even have video of it running last week at the races

http://www.xproductionz.com/mycar/mycivic.wmv
Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

Taz$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY - DX/LX head swap to EX Vtec

Hi am tryin to make a swap anybody got good idea on Wat to use for my honda ex 02
Old 03-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

A head swap?

The parts are all listed on the first page.
Old 04-17-2011
Registered!!

abbate2121 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am thinking really hard about doing this swap, im new to the honda realm, but can you use the same block?? how much gain is achieved? with a motor with 180000miles+ would there be any issues with that?
Old 04-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Taz$
Hi am tryin to make a swap anybody got good idea on Wat to use for my honda ex 02
?!?
dude...
you already have the head with vtec...
Old 04-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by abbate2121
but can you use the same block???
That's the whole idea of doing a head swap, non?

Originally Posted by abbate2121
with a motor with 180000miles+ would there be any issues with that?
You tell us. depending on how the engine is, you might better off dropping a used engine with less miles.
create a new thread explaining that you have read this thread, BTW. this thread is supposed to be for reference to others
Old 12-05-2011
Registered!!

Duffman1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old post but just wondering if anyone else has done it or if there is anything extra I should do. I am looking for a head now and I already have a guy lined up that will clean it up for me and do a good valve and spring job. Just looking for any pointer. Anyone know how much you can shave the head and deck the block and still be safe. Ive done jobs like this before but on the gm 2.2. We had a 96 head on a 2000 block. It had 245 lbs of compression but only made about 6 races.
Old 12-05-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Duffman1977
I know this is an old post but just wondering if anyone else has done it or if there is anything extra I should do. I am looking for a head now and I already have a guy lined up that will clean it up for me and do a good valve and spring job. Just looking for any pointer. Anyone know how much you can shave the head and deck the block and still be safe. Ive done jobs like this before but on the gm 2.2. We had a 96 head on a 2000 block. It had 245 lbs of compression but only made about 6 races.
id replace all the gaskets and cam seal, timing belt and water pump if your close to needing it anyways.
as for power you could do a cam upgrade to stage 1, stage 2 if you have kpro or aem ems and upgraded valve springs. if you REALLY want u could add high compression pistons and valves but i dont think that would yield enough power to justify all that work.
Old 12-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you do not want to mill the head past the service limit, esp not to raise compression. you will blow the gasket in no time. 128psi is the stock compression rating, and any knowledgeable machine shop should know the service limit for milling if the head even needs it. i can try and search for it in the service book, but its not much at all. i think one milling is pretty much it before you have to junk the head.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Duffman1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not looking for super high compression and I know its not going to give it that much more power. The problem we had with the gm 2.2 is the rods keep breaking. I havent had a D17 apart but I know some of the older honda motors came with extra meat you could cut down. We fixed one guys d16 and he ended with 170lbs compression. Its been 2 years later and still running strong. Im not spending the money on new rods and pistons, like pwnsauce said not enough power to justify the cost but I do have a new set of bearings ready to throw in while I have the head off. I just did the timming belt and water pump 10k ago but Im the type of person that if I have something apart then I replace what I can while im there.
Old 12-13-2011
Registered!!

droptop1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

im getting ready to do the swap but im swapping in the whole motor needed a transmission got a ex package deal i couldn't pass up i am planing on doing it with the vafc2 i am just a little curious what the sensor under the vtec plug is and does it have to be used or just left open thanks
Old 12-13-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its an oil pressure sensor and is required for vtec to work.
Old 12-25-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

WARNING! this is not for the faint of the heart, have not been finished yet and not worthy if you do not have the rocker arms, cams, vtec solenoid laying around, but very interesting project that another forum member is trying to do.
http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25485

he is trying to convert a LX head in a EX head! only for the mechanical savvy guys, not for the runts that need to ask how-to. if you feels like asking, then it's not fer yah! you will be disqualified right there.
Name:  5ebd9fb0.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  87.8 KB

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-25-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2013
Registered!!

yazanm is an unknown quantity at this point

how you will connect the vtec wiring??
i changed my motor with a vtec one.. but i dont know where to connect the EGR and the vtec valve??
can we connect them externally ??
Old 07-24-2019
Registered!!

crazicardi is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a long shot but can the images be mirrored someplace? Seem to have been lost.
Old 07-24-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,150 Likes on 804 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I was gonna see if it was just a hot linking issue. I've been able to resurrect pages when that was the issue. Unfortunately, Mike (I think that's what xproductionz's irl name was) hosted it on his site -- that he doesn't have anymore. He also had a comprehensive k20 swap diy guide on his site, but now it gone. Sorry bud.
Old 07-24-2019
Registered!!

crazicardi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I was gonna see if it was just a hot linking issue. I've been able to resurrect pages when that was the issue. Unfortunately, Mike (I think that's what xproductionz's irl name was) hosted it on his site -- that he doesn't have anymore. He also had a comprehensive k20 swap diy guide on his site, but now it gone. Sorry bud.
No problem man hahaha this thread is years old. Figured it's been lost in the internet void by this point! I might check the way back machine tomorrow and see if it might've picked it up. Thanks man!
Old 10-04-2019
Registered!!

Corey Clark is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a d17a1 and my buddy crashed his d17a2 can i take the head ,ecu , harness, and immobilize and slap it into my car without having to flash the key ? and is there any thing else i would have to take to make it work?