7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

CLASSIC DIY: DX/LX head swap to EX vtec

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
CLASSIC DIY: DX/LX head swap to EX vtec

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY XPRODUCTIONZ

dang.. took us about 4 hours but we finally got it done... dont trust what everyone else says u need.. u dont need the ECU from an EX to convert over.. heres what u will need if you want to avoid getting an ECU from an EX and reflashing ur key

EX vtec head with solenoid
ex head gasket
and a vafc2

basically if you never have done a head swap before i highly suggest u take it to a shop to do it. we ran into i hiccup after completion cause i had some air bubbles in the coolant but we took care of that in about 10 minutes.. make sure u disconnect the battery before doing the the vafc install

and heres a picture of the cover taken off

so here is what the dx head looks like when its off

heres a picture of the ex head.. notice the hanging blue wire.. thats the vtec wire and solenoid...

heres the vafc2 controller.. this is the only way to bypass getting an ECU from an EX and getting your key reflashed

now heres the trick to wiring your ecu.. solder everything and no crimping.. i got a gas powered one so i dont have to worry about running extension cords

now while wiring the vafc2...

first tape off or cap the blue VTM wire cause u will not be using that... also tape off or cap the purple VTEC wire cause u will not be using that either (the DX/LX does not come with a VTEC solenoid signal from the ECU).... also tape the orange wire cause there is no VTC cam signal.. and for other people that are also running the VAFC2 on there EX's we do have a TDC wire on our cars... it would be on pin 26 on the first harness to the left... then follow the installation instructions according to the vafc2 manual using diagram H7-a and dont worry about the other DIY mentioned in another topic thats says to buy a diode.. dont need it... now all u gotta do is finish up ur head install.. as soon as thats done.. remember that blue wire hanging from the EX head.. well cut off the clip

and hard wire it (see the light green wire) from the engine bay into the car next to the ECU... then solder that wire to the pink wire from the vafc... almost there

clean up all ur wires and finish up anything under the hood... fill back ur oil.... add more antifreeze..and now ur car looks pretty much the same when u first started..

haha with the exception of the vtec solenoid and wire.. PLEASE NOTE that if u have had a DX intake then the place where it mounts has to be moved cause that bracket where it used to mount is now replaced with the vtec solenoid..

do the start up proceedures according to what the manual says for the vafc before starting the car... now as for me when i was done.. it took a few minutes before the car actually started... once it finally ran it idled pretty bad and fluctuated... then after a good 2 or 3 minutes the car ran perfectly fine.. my friend says the ecu is just adjusting to the new things we put on there... drove it around for an hour and set my vafc to kick the vtec from

Lo-->Hi at 4700
Hi-->Lo at 4000

just basic settings to get me started but its not even tuned yet and can feel the car pulling alot more when the vtec kicks in

hope this helps

Last edited by gearbox; 01-10-2011 at 10:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Universal (09-12-2023)
Old 08-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MURD3RXx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CLASSIC DIY: DX/LX head swap to EX vtec

no posts?? whattt

very well written DIY...

when i was reading the VAFC II Full Installation Info i got confused about the vtec solenoid input and outputs, you clearned this up..
thanks a ton...

can wait to get some bwaaah

reps for you
Old 09-20-2011
Registered!!

Gnips18 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been told that all 2000 and above honda civics have a vtec in it. is that true?
Old 09-20-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nope, only the higher models like the EX and SI have vtec.
Old 10-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

would this be similar to using an AFC NEO in place of the vafc2? same wiring?
where would the plug and play harness for the afc neo plug in?
Old 10-26-2011
Premium Member

does that have a vtec control setting? if so then you should be good to use it. if it has a pnp harness, it would plug to the main ecu behind the glove box like the vafcii does. and its always a good idea to get it dyno tuned once everything is installed for the best power.
Old 10-27-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

yea i guess its apexi's newer product for the vafc and the afc combined

this is all i know about it really
http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/...anagement.html
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

civiclx92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a manual 05 lx would this swap work for me please let me know asap.
Old 04-01-2012
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

yes it will
Old 04-01-2012
Registered!!

i have a complete ex d17a2 head for sale in ohio near dayton. pm me if interested. i do not want to ship though pick up only.

has ~30k miles on it and has been inspected. ready to swap.
i was going to do the swap on my 04 dx but it was wrecked before i did it.