Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

AutoX discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
AutoX discussion

It seems like most everyone on this board has given up on our cars as far as performance goes, but hitting the autox track I realized that a cars potential does not lie in its 0-60, or quarter mile times. I was very impressed with how well my car performed and I would like to see us 7thgeners get some more respect out on the racetrack. I want to start a serious autox thread about parts, and performance. I want to know what works, and what doesnt, and how everyone is faring in their local chapters. I was thinking this because I know that those 90 Civic Si guys have winning down to a formula, and they know what spring rates, shocks, sway bars, etc they need to win, and I want the same for us. So basically, what does everyone have, how are they doing, and what is going to help them do better?

2003 civic ex coupe, k@n FIPKII intake, Revo SS, Neuspeed front strut, RSX rear sway, sportline springs, tokico d spec shocks, spc camber kit, 205/40/17's with wanli rubber.

My first autox went a lot better than planned. I beat a handful of people but I know I can do better. I placed towards the end of STS and I was about 12 seconds off of the leader, but I did cut 13 seconds from my first to last run. Over time I want to get a pair of 15 inch rota slipstreams with kuhmo mxs (need all seasons because I dont have room for two sets of wheels), a fatter rear sway bar, a rear disc conversion with hawk pads all around, and maybe go to some ground controls with custom spring rates. What spring rates would you all suggest, what other mods, what isnt working for me, what kind of camber adjustments should I make, tires, wheels??. Lets get the ball rolling!
Old 06-14-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah... don't do the rear discs. Its not worth it to run in STX. I only did it for open tracking.

Everyone pretty much knows my shiz by now, but...
Koni Yellows
Custom GCs - 375/ 525+1"
Tein Camber Plates
Hotchkis Rear Camber Arms
Comptech 22mm Sway Bar
Stock 25mm front sway bar
Neuspeed Upper Front bar
Cusco upper rear (not sure it does anything)
DIY lower rear tie bar
Hawk HP+ pads and Autozone rotors - front
Si Discs w/ honda pads - rear
Russell SS Brake Lines
15x6.5" Esses Speedmasters w/ Azenis

Alignment -2.25 F, -1.6R, no toe
Old 06-14-2005

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
What are your opinions on chasis reinforcements Boilermaker? I want to do the Nuespeed X brace, and a local company is developing bars that connect behind the front seats that I am interested in as well. Also, what are your opinions on tire width, would you go to 7 inches if you had the chance?
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

gangrel138 is an unknown quantity at this point
I ran with a 225/50/15 on 15x7 wheels my last AutoX. Although I had a lot of grip my tires stuck out farther and I found I was disturbing cones a lot more than usual. The other thing I'm working on is using the E-brake to slide the car a little better around the slalom sections. I still don't have it down yet but I think I could shave another second or two off my times at the next meet.
Old 06-14-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PoorCollegeBoy
What are your opinions on chasis reinforcements Boilermaker? I want to do the Nuespeed X brace, and a local company is developing bars that connect behind the front seats that I am interested in as well. Also, what are your opinions on tire width, would you go to 7 inches if you had the chance?
Technically, you can't do either of those if you want to stay in STS. Any bar has to go between the struts. I mean you can be a "cheater" but no one will complain unless you get competitive.

It depends on the class you want to be in. Mod for the class not for yourself or you will end up in a class where you are not competitive. Technically a CF hood will throw you into Street Mod against turboed vettes and swapped civics.

I would suggest 15x7 rims with some Azenis will really help.
Don't do the rear disk conversion - Get upgrade rotors (brembos/powerslots) and pads (Hawk, Axxis) and Dot 4 brake fluid.
Get an alignment close to what justin is running.

See how those things work first. Then start changing other parts. Don't get new springs/shocks if you don't need too. A larger rear sway is pretty good, but again wait until you have tested it with better tires and an alignment.
Old 06-14-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gangrel138
I ran with a 225/50/15 on 15x7 wheels my last AutoX. Although I had a lot of grip my tires stuck out farther and I found I was disturbing cones a lot more than usual. The other thing I'm working on is using the E-brake to slide the car a little better around the slalom sections. I still don't have it down yet but I think I could shave another second or two off my times at the next meet.
Who taught you to use the e-brake in autox. You should NOT be using the E-Brake in autox or even track days.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

I haven't been. But the guys at the track were suggesting it. I've been trying to use my brakes a little better and then gunning it once the car is straightened out. I tried the E-brake a couple times but it seemed to hurt more than it helped.
Old 06-14-2005

Thanks RobbClark. Im not really set on getting anything new, just want to figure out the absolute best setup for our cars, even if I wont be running it. I know everyones opinion on upgrading before you master the driving aspect of autox, and I intend to run out the rest of this season with my current setup, but there are some things I am considering changing for next season.
Old 06-14-2005

PS: how come the big three autoxers on this board all have silver coupes?
Old 06-14-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
Yea i'm really impressed with my car in auto x all I have is a 2.5" drop and a dc upper strut bar and she turns real nice
Old 06-14-2005
PC Tech / Autocrosser

PrecisnTec will become famous soon enoughPrecisnTec will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PoorCollegeBoy
PS: how come the big three autoxers on this board all have silver coupes?

Make it 4.

I loved the way my car handled just by adding a front sway bar and front set of Falken Azenis. I ran highly inflated street tires in the rear. For that extra oversteering effect. needless to say my 2nd autox out in it I took 1st place for HS.

Last edited by PrecisnTec; 06-14-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

SSHHH. It's a secret. LOL
Old 06-14-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
Mine is beige and I auto x
Old 06-14-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gangrel138
I haven't been. But the guys at the track were suggesting it. I've been trying to use my brakes a little better and then gunning it once the car is straightened out. I tried the E-brake a couple times but it seemed to hurt more than it helped.

Learn Left foot braking. its more controlable, and you can play the brakes off the gas for smoother transitions.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
i am a reformed newb. i have already purchased the i\h\e in an attempt to be another white boy from the burbs ricer. and have since gone back to stock and didnt notice any power loss. so i dont want to make the same mistake twice. if i upgrade my handling and suspension for auto-x what is the order in which i should purchase items? what brands are the best? what brands give the biggest bang for the buck? and which ones should we stay away from?
Old 06-14-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Stay away from anything APC
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
well yeah i know if they carry it at kragen its probably not a great upgrade. and dont they just make some sweet stickers!
Old 06-14-2005

What rotor and pad combos are working the best for everyone?
Old 06-14-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nick95673
i am a reformed newb. i have already purchased the i\h\e in an attempt to be another white boy from the burbs ricer. and have since gone back to stock and didnt notice any power loss. so i dont want to make the same mistake twice. if i upgrade my handling and suspension for auto-x what is the order in which i should purchase items? what brands are the best? what brands give the biggest bang for the buck? and which ones should we stay away from?

step 1. Go to an autocross with the car AS IS. infact go to a dozen autocrosses with the car as is. Learn the cars limits, learn your limits. Learn to adjust your driving to maximise the cars limitations.

Step 2. go out and buy some good tires. the right tires will do more to reduce lap times then any other part. for the stock or Modified classes check out Kumho Victoracers, V700's or V710's (V710s are the gripiest) or get some Hoosier A3S04 or A3S05's. For the Street touring classes your looking at Falken Azenis RT-615's, Kimho MX, and a few others that just poped up this year. for wheels, in the Modifieds I'd run 14X7's or 14X8's(if I could get the right offset. for Street touring run 15X7's.

Step 3. Buy a set of Koni Yellows. and Learn to tune with them.

Step 4. Get a good alignment.

ect ect ect.....

theres really too much to list.
Old 06-14-2005

It's all a crap shoot really. I mean justin, spencer and I all have different parts and different skill levels. You just have to mod somewhat for yourself and somewhat for the class. If you want a part, do your research and see what is the best for you and what will help you get better times within the rules.

Not to mention the competition in each area greatly differs. Justin and Spencer are lucky to have 10-12 people in STS, whereas here we have least 25 each time. If I had known about autox before I started modding, I would have done a lot differently. Now I don't have the money to change **** around, but oh well.

I have powerslot slotted rotors, axxis ultimates, and superblue DOT4 fluid. I need a fuild change, but other than that they have worked great. Any good (brembo, powerstop, powerslot, stoptech, etc) slotted or blank rotor will do. As for pads, stay away from EBC. Hawk, PBR (axxis), porterfield, cobalt have known to be good pads. Axxis are probably the cheapest out of all them and perform just as well.
Old 06-14-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never EVER use the e-brake in a competitive driving event.
Learn how to drive with 2 feet. Don't ever do something that intentionally causes a loss of control.
Old 06-14-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Another tip is to go slow your first go to learn the course some people gun it and get lost their first go... it's worth it to go slow figure out where your going then progress in speed in your next go's
Old 06-14-2005

Originally Posted by Day_Tripper
Another tip is to go slow your first go to learn the course some people gun it and get lost their first go... it's worth it to go slow figure out where your going then progress in speed in your next go's
My very first run I went slow and thought that I was just a really good driver until I finished with a time of 84 seconds, which was 24 seconds off of the leader in sts
Old 06-14-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

haha thats awesome
Old 06-14-2005

Jeeze, STS is a cluster f*** here in Denver with the top 4 drivers all being 89 and 90 civic Si's. There were at least 25 the other weekend.
Old 06-14-2005
Autocross Junky

It brings up the old saying "If you cant beat them Join them"... and considering an old civic can be had for less then $4,000.... theres really very little reason not to. personally, I'd like to find an 88 CRX si, Prep it for ST2, and go beat up on a bunch of miatas.
Old 06-14-2005

Seriously... if i didnt need a reliable daily driver I would look into getting an old miata, crx, or civic si
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

P40vic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, it's pretty clear that if you want to be driving new(er) cars, the stock classes are the place to be since modern cars keep getting better and better as far as handling. Shoot, the mini cooper pretty much owns 2 stock classes. There are a few newer cars in STS that look competitive nationally (Subi RS2.5, Celica GT) but it will always be hard to beat lighter older cars with such an outstanding front suspension ie 89-90 Civics/CRXs. And forget about DSP or FSP, you better have a old small light car or lots of $ for a BMW!

As far as suspension, some might disagree with me but IMHO it's all about front grip, and you can't do our struts the same as the old double a-arm civics because of our horrible camber curve. I'm think that if you're gonna go lowered, you better have big front spring rates, big front bar, and big front camber, ie Boilermakers setup. The national level WRXs have the same strut challenges, and they seem to do all three. IMHO the back is much simpler after the front is set, just match up spring rates and use enough bar to lift the inside rear on hard corners, tweek rear toe, etc. I'm gonna work up to big camber and big bars but no big springs because I don't think I could live with the ride. But the cheap mod is driving, I gave up at least a second on that bugger U turn at the last race!
Old 06-14-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
have you guys who auto X ever had trouble with your axles? My left axle was leaking and I was wondering if it was attributable to a driving style or whether it was just some bad luck. I'm at about 22k miles on the car.
Old 06-14-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

With 22K, its probably a stroke of bad luck. You probably hit something and nicked the boot. I'm at 53K, Zzyzx has to be nearing 80 or 90 by now and I haven't heard anything out of him either. Autox, or any other activity that builds lots of heat and makes you turn a lot will probably wear you're outer CVs pre-maturely, but you should still make it quite a ways without issue.

Quick Reply: AutoX discussion