Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Autocross...Help me get started

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005
Diamond Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Autocross...Help me get started

Ok so I've been trying to read up on autocross events and how to get in, but in actual fact I'm starting to get more and more confused.

I really want to test myself out on a track, and I know my civic is basically stock but it sounds fun. So with the help of boilermaker and zzyzx I went to www.solo2.com .

They have events near me, and I really want to join. But there are a few things I don't understand, or at least would like to clear up.
There is always a practice day before the competition day?
You have to work at the track on the practice day so you can compete the next day?
How do I learn to work on the track? Most fearful of this one, cuz I think im going to get run over.
How do I tell solo2 i'm going to want to register to pratice? Don't really want to compete.

thanks for your help...
Old 04-05-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Put in autox forum

Every place is different. Usually, there is no practice event before the "real" event. That would be like setting up two events and each even takes a long while to plan, especially the more drivers.

1) You won't get run over. You are strategically placed at light poles or other non-race spots. If you have to get a cone, get it, set it up and get the hell out of there. Do not linger. If you do linger, there are people with red flags to stop the cars. You learn course working from the other guys/gals at your pole. There is a pole chief at every pole to coordinate.

Contact your local rep and ask how to go about the process. It seems as though you area has practice events. Here, we don't have that.

http://www.solo2.com/MiscDocuments/GuideCard.pdf
Old 04-05-2005
Diamond Member

Sorry about this miss post robb...I thought the Track/Street/Strip was for stories about racing, didn't know there was a sub forum on autox.
Old 04-05-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of things...

Some regions have pratice days some dont... Your's apparently does. (Mine doesnt)

Events are Run/Work... Meaning if you run at the pratice event, you'll also be required to work the pratice event... same goes for the Compititon event.

Regarding working the event.... heres a few things that may help you

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm
http://www.autocross.com/autoc/cworkers.htm
Keep your eyes on the cars around you and you'll be fine...

On the CSCC S2 site, they have a Novice Coordinator... Email him ( Zak Gutman)
http://www.solo2.com/contacts.asp He should be able to help you with every thing you need to get in to the sport.
Old 04-05-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Boggie1688
Sorry about this miss post robb...I thought the Track/Street/Strip was for stories about racing, didn't know there was a sub forum on autox.
Now you know and knowing is half the battle .

I agree with spencer. Contact the novice coordinator. If you are worried about "jumping in" then attend some events without racing. Speak to the novice coordinator and ask him if he knows people that you can "sit in" on while they race. You also can "volunteer" without actually racing. They will send you out to a pole and the pole chief will tell you what to do, but you are not obligated to be there. This way you can get accustomed to it before you start racing.
Old 04-05-2005
Diamond Member

Good idea about contacting the novice coordinator.

I think i'll go talk to him, and definitely show up a few times before I race. I'm not super afraid of getting hit a by a car, but then it can happen...and I wanna know what I'm suppose to be doing soo that if a car comes my way, I can runaway. LoL

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-07-2005
Registered!!

gangrel138 is an unknown quantity at this point
You can always run. The trick is to set yourself up on the inside of the corner. Most drivers, when they make a mistake, will slide to the outside of the corner.

Oh, and don't go for a cone until the car has cleared your area. I had a Corvette spin out, overcorrect, and come sliding back in my direction before he stopped. Made me do the backpedal in a hurry
Old 04-07-2005
Diamond Member

LoL so you almost got run over huh? see my fears aren't stupid! IT COULD HAPPEN!
Old 04-07-2005
Registered!!

gangrel138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Naw. He stopped about 15 feet from me but it looks pretty scary when a ton and a half of metal is coming your way.