auto x question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004
Bushido

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
auto x question.

This is for all you seasoned autoxers.

As you all know the Civic has very little low end torque.

My question is on a track setup with a lot of hairpin turns(I think that is the correct term) which involves you to slow down how do you take the turn with the rpms in peak torque range?
Old 09-10-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Left foot braking.

I really need to learn this.
Old 09-10-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
well, you should be down shifting for these turns...

Esentially you should down shift to the gear your going to need to keep the car in the torque curve for corner exit, Just before you turn in.

so, your going to need to learn to Heel Toe shift......... as in, Learn to use 5 controls with 4 appendages all at the same time :P

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html

Left foot breaking is also a good thing to know....
Old 09-10-2004
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the down shifting, however I am in second gear by the time i approach the turn.

The tranny will not let me downshift in to 1st unless my speed is dead slow.
Old 09-10-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
You shouldnt have any problem down shifting form 2nd to 1st... you just need to rev-match well enough and it should drop right in. Thats what I do at least. (I can actually match the 2nd to 1st down shift better then any of the other gear down shifts... )
Old 09-11-2004
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
heel toe
Old 09-11-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
You shouldnt have any problem down shifting form 2nd to 1st... you just need to rev-match well enough and it should drop right in. Thats what I do at least. (I can actually match the 2nd to 1st down shift better then any of the other gear down shifts... )

Same here..just push that throttle a bit harder, with yer heel, and you should have no problem's going into 1st from 2nd. I don't, and with that lil throttle blip...it's all the TQ you need to get a decent corner exit.
Old 09-11-2004
Registered!!

trance4mer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
koool ima try that. ive never tried revmatching
Old 09-11-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
Same here..just push that throttle a bit harder, with yer heel, and you should have no problem's going into 1st from 2nd. I don't, and with that lil throttle blip...it's all the TQ you need to get a decent corner exit.
ive tried that but i need ALOT more practice. it just didnt feel right....
Old 09-11-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by trance4mer
ive tried that but i need ALOT more practice. it just didnt feel right....

Yeah, it's kinda goofy at first pushing the throttle with your heel, while depressing the brake with the ball of your foot (toe)...but you'll get used to it...and get GOOD at it.

Honestly...I am decent at it, but I'm still not confident in my ability, so I don't use the technique during an AutoX run.....that and I have only downshifted ONCE in my year long career...so it's not really necessary IMO for AutoX (at least the courses we get....damn John Ames)

I usually just do a bit of trail braking with my left foot, while keeping the revs up with my right. It's a decent way to stay fast enough...but it's not the FASTEST, and with a decent rear sway bar, it's a good way to rotate the car a bit more than usual. lol

Just try it on your way home from work, but make sure nobody is behind you ('cause you WILL SLAM on the brake the first time, everyone does it)..and keep practicinig. When you finally get it, it's TRULY an artform. Smooth as an A/T, and MUCH better entry/exit because you know you can dive into the turn a bit more than usual.

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 09-11-2004 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
Yeah, it's kinda goofy at first pushing the throttle with your heel, while depressing the brake with the ball of your foot (toe)...but you'll get used to it...and get GOOD at it.

Honestly...I am decent at it, but I'm still not confident in my ability, so I don't use the technique during an AutoX run.....that and I have only downshifted ONCE in my year long career...so it's not really necessary IMO for AutoX (at least the courses we get....damn John Ames)

I usually just do a bit of trail braking with my left foot, while keeping the revs up with my right. It's a decent way to stay fast enough...but it's not the FASTEST, and with a decent rear sway bar, it's a good way to rotate the car a bit more than usual. lol

Just try it on your way home from work, but make sure nobody is behind you ('cause you WILL SLAM on the brake the first time, everyone does it)..and keep practicinig. When you finally get it, it's TRULY an artform. Smooth as an A/T, and MUCH better entry/exit because you know you can dive into the turn a bit more than usual.
thnx ill try that..