Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

Newb in the house!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011
Clan Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TapOrSleep is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Newb in the house!

So I got a 95 Civic DX and have been loving it for 2 months! So now after the past week it has started smoking pretty rough when I get on the gas, now I'm heart-broken... What's you guys take on the cheapest way for a poor man to get this fixxed and back on the road? I'm soooo dependant on this car to get me back and forth to work and now I fear I will have to replace an engine....bty how nuch trouble to go VTEC head on my DX while I'm gonna have to eat this anyway? Or just leave the same? Any help appreciated! Also where to get all this cheap?
Old 04-22-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Newb in the house!

What color is the smoke? White is a sign of coolant being burned off, which usually tends to be a head gasket issue. Blue smoke means the car is burning oil. If it's the latter, you could do a compression test to get a general idea of how well each cylinder is performing. There are threads on head swaps floating all over the net. Hop on Google or search here and you're bound to find something.
Old 04-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,215 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well...
you can either:
1) rebuild the engine (more likely you will know what condition it will be, but no car for a while)
2) Get an used engine with low miles (if at all possible), test compression it and if good, drop it in the bay.
Then you will have a working engine and a spare to play with or slowly build.
I believe i had the EX head swap in me sig, but it is for 7th gen, some differences might apply.
3) Go nuts and try a B-swap (also some instructions in one of the links in me sig.)
Buut, much mroe complicated and expensive.
Old 04-26-2011
Clan Member

TapOrSleep is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love to go B16 swap but cuz of funds what would it take for a mini me swap on my D15???