Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Retrofit time

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Retrofit time

If you've seen my build thread recently then you know i bought black housing headlights. Well, the light output its literally the worst thing ive ever seen and to push me over the edge, one of my bulbs burnt out today. So im going noob mode and asking a few questions. (Everything i found online was for an 01-03 civic)

Are the morimoto minis a direct plug and play for the 04-05 headlights?

Should i get the H1's or the D2s's?

Is DDM around anymore? if not, what HID kit should I get?

Thank you in advance
Old 11-14-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Retrofit time

I'm in the process of starting my retrofit also. Gen 7 civic uses a 9003 bulb which is what the moto H1 kit is for. DDM is still around, $35 for hid kit plus shipping so its around $50. From what I found the 9003/H4 kit is the one I need.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 11-15-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Gotcha thanks for the link! According to the sylvania guide my em2 uses the 9005/9006 bulbs/connectors. https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...el=518&make=37

So the HID kit connects directly to the 9006 factory connector?

It shouldnt matter if you get the H1 or the D2S right? its just a matter of ordering the right bulb with your HID kit?

Which projector (the H1 or D2S) has better light output? or is it just different bulb sockets

Sorry for all the questions! Anyone with an 04-05 done this retrofit?

Last edited by rjones7755; 11-16-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

The h1 projector has been said to have a more consistent ouput, and is more recommended than the D2S projectors. Your best bet is to get everythign from the retrofit source - the morimoto ballasts are great for the price, and the site has OEM ballasts as well if you want to step up your warmup speed. The relay harnesses they sell are tough stuff too.

Muirsy has retrofitted 05 headlights, but they are S2k projectors, and he didnt to the retro, but with the morimoto mini H1s, its a really simple tast to install them.
Old 11-15-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

h1 mini is far better
Old 11-16-2012

Okay H1 it is, is the DDM kit acceptable? tired of spending money on the vic lol
Old 11-16-2012
Registered!!

DDM is fine...a bit slower to warm up than the morimotos, but not by much. I've have ddm 55w and 35w ballasts for 2 years now, and I've never had any issues except for one, which was with the wiring harness, and not the ballasts...so FYI, if you want them to last, get the harness that the retrofit source sells - it's way more robust, and not much more expensive.
Old 11-16-2012
Registered!!

SSMCivicCoupe will become famous soon enough

How hard are the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors to install? I always wanted to do a retrofit but was afraid to mess up. I have taken apart my headlights before and its not really that hard but whats needed after that?
Old 11-16-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The H1's are suppose to be an easy instal. All you need to do is cut out the hole in the back of the housing. Here is a DIY on a retro. It's a TYC projector but same idea with less modifying.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...cs-inside.html
Old 11-16-2012
Registered!!

SSMCivicCoupe will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GolNat
The H1's are suppose to be an easy instal. All you need to do is cut out the hole in the back of the housing. Here is a DIY on a retro. It's a TYC projector but same idea with less modifying.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...cs-inside.html
Can I use my oem headlights or would I need to get headlights that already have projectors in them and remove those?
Old 11-16-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ there goes the "i am lazy and don't wanna search" again
Old 11-16-2012
Prelude Owner

You can use your OEM lights. That's what I am going to do when I do mine. It might just require a little more cutting. There are a few DIY's on the web for other cars so you can see what is required. The morimoto h1's are suppose to be the best fit for 7 gen civic and they come with adapters to make it easier.
Old 11-16-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

oem headlight is easy with mini h1. if you can open the headlights, thats really the hardest part. you then remove the glare shield and then mount the projector right in the stock bulb hole with the lock nut. no cutting or any other modding, an dthe only other thing is to check the aim on the car before closing back up. usually they are already aligned using the adapter plate.
Old 11-17-2012
Registered!!

^ What he said. It's a really simple install, especially if you're comfortable opening the headlights.
Old 11-18-2012

Okay so obviously the morimoto minis are bi xennon....so how do i get the shutter to raise when I activate the high beams? Ive been looking for hours and cant find a straight answer. Im planning on buying this harness- http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3182
will i need this splitter to make the shutter work? -http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=9717

and when I get the H1 morimoto minis I need to order an H1 bulb with my HID kit correct?
Old 11-19-2012
Premium Member

tap the solenoid wires to your hi beam wires.
Old 11-19-2012

Okay i could use the splitter harness from trs to do that right? And the ballasts will stay on after turning on the high beams cause when our hi beams are on our low beams stay on yeahh?
Old 11-20-2012
Premium Member

well the whole idea is to wire the hids to a new relay harness with its trigger attached to the +12v oem h4 headlight wire. thats either red or red/yel depending on the side. that way it keeps the hid on all the time, even when hi beam is used. i have halogen highs but the solenoid would wire the same way. if you have 04-05 civic, then you already have separate hi beam and can simply tap the solenoid to the hi beam + and - wires. the solenoid does not draw much power so you will be fine with the stock wiring. and then that gives you double hi beams (xenon and halogen).
Old 11-20-2012

Okay thanks for all your help! Got everything ordered today...should be here in a few days!! Last question, should i get some more butyl to reseal the headlights? ill be putting these projectors into the ebay headlights i just bought. Ive heard good things about the nissan butyl but would butyl from say oriellys get the job done?
Old 11-22-2012
Premium Member

eh the best is prolly koito or nissan, the black stuff works too but only from 3M. the cheaper ones dont always stick enough.
Old 11-22-2012

Ok ill keep that in mind thanks!!