Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Cant see out of blacked out headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Beardsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant see out of blacked out headlights

Hey everyone, just installed new headlights off ebay that are blacked out. I like the way they look but i can't see a dam thing at night, i just have normal halogen bulbs off ebay that are hid look alikes or whatever thier cheep but i put the stock lights back in and same thing cant see at night. So basically im looking for a way to make it work like a brighter bulb or hids or somthing i don't no. My buddy thinks 55w hids or breaking off the reflector piece in the headlamp idk what do you guys think any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1112121626.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	84279  
Old 11-13-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cant see out of blacked out headlights

That's why blacked out headlight housings are illegal in most states. You can try a 55W HID kit but the bulb could get to hot and damage the headlight housing. It could not get to hot and be ok. In order to get the proper set up you need to get projectors and retrofit them into the headlight housing and then put the 55W bulb in the projectors.
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

Randomhero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris Beardsley
Hey everyone, just installed new headlights off ebay that are blacked out. I like the way they look but i can't see a dam thing at night, i just have normal halogen bulbs off ebay that are hid look alikes or whatever thier cheep but i put the stock lights back in and same thing cant see at night. So basically im looking for a way to make it work like a brighter bulb or hids or somthing i don't no. My buddy thinks 55w hids or breaking off the reflector piece in the headlamp idk what do you guys think any help would be great.
Damn, what did you expect? Idk whats dumber blackout headlights or tinted front windshields.

For real though, return the headlights if you can. Since you like the blacked out look. You could get black HOUSED headlights. Or you can take apart your OEM headlights and paint the inside, like a DIY black housed headlight.
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

Ok so I guess i might have to return em but i still think id like to try the hids and would i have to retofit it or would it work at all in the housing right now becuase have friends that have them in stock housings
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

Randomhero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris Beardsley
Ok so I guess i might have to return em but i still think id like to try the hids and would i have to retofit it or would it work at all in the housing right now becuase have friends that have them in stock housings
HIDs will work in the housings, you do not need to retrofit projectors. Just figure out what type of bulb to get. If HIDs dont work, and i doubt they will you now have an extra set for your OEMs or your next set of headlights.
Old 11-13-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Blacked out headlights just sounds like a bad idea. Blacked out housings, however, as mentioned before, is the more reasonable/safer choice. Trying to use HIDs too see better at night would be like trying to use a brighter flashlight to perform an eye exam while the person's wearing sunglasses. Just.. No..

I understand you enjoy the look, but there's a certain amount of function you can overlook before you start putting others or yourself in danger.
Old 11-13-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Randomhero
Damn, what did you expect? Idk whats dumber blackout headlights or tinted front windshields.
Did anyone expect an answer like ^^^this^^^ out of me?

I was gonna post this instead
Old 11-13-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
Did anyone expect an answer like ^^^this^^^ out of me?

I was gonna post this instead
I was gonna post that.. But was unsure if people were gonna nitpick at how a tinted windshield would be a more accurate analogy. I did, however, find myself singing that song while reading this thread.
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

Well thanks guys ill try hids and see what happens and if it doesnt work ill install my stock housings and use the hids in thier and look at maybe finding a black housing with clear lense or somthin well see thanks though