Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

anyone use H8 bulbs in their reflector fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
anyone use H8 bulbs in their reflector fogs?

i am getting a pair of ebay oem-style fogs and want that deep dark yellow look to go with my hids, but the H11 bulbs use up alot of power at 55w. instead, i ordered a pair of nokya yellow H8 bulbs. they are only 35w, like many lexus vehicles use, so they should be much richer in color. i think there is only minor trimming of a bulb tab to make it fit, possibly no trimming. i will see when they get here. even at 35w, the bulbs produce 700 lumens of light which is alot (only 500 less than H11 bulb). should save total of 20w per side and look much nicer too. i should also be safe using that clear protection film that would normally get burnt from 55w.
Old 09-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: anyone use H8 bulbs in their reflector fogs?

i wana see some one make a LED bulb for H8 or H11 that uses 1W or 3W luxor high power LEDs instead of the 3-chip SMT ones or the like.

like this.....only with luxor high output LEDs.
Old 09-25-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i thought about it, but it involves drilling and im not sure what would happen to the chrome inside once i broke thru. hi power leds will not work in that bulb configuration due to heatsinking issues. maybe custom, but the hole is too small by itself to fit any type of led and optic with heatsink.

and these ebay fogs suck, the chrome isnt even the same color on both sides, and i had to completely redo that spring mount with a solid bolt and nut so they actually stay in the same place. the beam is terrible but i think they should hold me over til i get some new oem honda fogs. still waiting on the yellow h8 bulbs and then i can post pics of how it looks after aiming these things. for $30 i cant complain too much i guess...
Old 09-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

You can always get a 35W H11 kit too....i think

The store I always buy HID's from on ebay has really decent HID kits for cheap
Dunno if they sell 3k though =/
Old 09-25-2010
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

gearbox i got some "OEM style" fogs for sale if u wana try those.
Old 09-26-2010
Premium Member

well i have some already too lol. so if i end up going oem, i may experiment on the ones i have. how much did you want for yours tho and are they in good shape? my initial idea was to use those ELEF 5w amber led bulbs and have the dim setting for fogs and bright setting for signals. i may have to just take a hole saw to the housings and see what happens. its just a complicated solution when i think i would be fine with the yellow h8 bulbs.

and there is no way i would put hid kit in these housings, totally pointless and illegal lol. there is already light everywhere in these "show" reflectors.
Old 09-27-2010
Premium Member

well the ebay fogs were terrible. during the day one side looked much darker, and at night the beam was just unacceptable. it looked like one side was way brighter. so ebay fogs are gone. i ordered expensive oem fogs and now im getting nervous trying to think of how to protect this investment. heres what i came up with. the fogs, even at 55w, are pretty useless for output. i only want the yellow color. i also want to protect the glass lens. one rock and the glass is dead. also if the fogs are on and cold water hits it, glass is dead. no using fogs in bad weather, lol. so i got lamin-x clear 20 mil vinyl film, but we all know the film burns at 55w. no good. so i am def using 35w bulbs (nokya yellows). this brings up another problem. what if the 35w is too hot and i still crack the lens or burn the laminx. what if i wired the fogs in series, then each side will only be 18w. but at that point, with the oem glare shield, im worried it will barely look like a park light. and the color may get weird. so i think i should give 35w a try first and see how hot the things get. if i can safely touch it, then its prolly fine.if too hot, i need to figure out other solutions either leds or 18w bulb (series). i hate to mess with the wiring any more than ive already done, but might have to...
Old 09-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

if you put them in series, yes, they'll be 18w, but that's only because they'll be at 6v. i think the 35w's will be fine. that's almost 50% less heat.
Old 09-28-2010
Premium Member

yeah thats what im hoping. cause with that stupid glare shield, i dont think lower voltage than that will be bright enough. and then the halogen cycle wont work below their rated wattage and black stuff will form. hopefully the nokyas are really stock wattage and dont run hotter than clear. i also forgot how dim they would be at 6v, prolly no more than 100-200 lumens. the 35w H8 as they are put out 700. H11 puts out 1200 lumens. so if the 35w works out, im only losing 500 lumens which shouldnt be noticable enough in the fogs.

if i had $$ i would get these nifty looking raybrig led bulbs, white with 6 leds. $100 for a pair lol.

Old 09-28-2010
Premium Member

got my oem fogs today, theyre missing the switch! lol. not that i need it, but still extra parts would be nice. im not sure if i want to cut the harness up just for the h11 plugs. the ebay ones i have now are so crappy they are gonna fall out. the oems nicely click into place. now i remember why oem is so much better. the fogs look amazing, made in japan quality. still waiting on my lamin-x and yellow bulbs.
Old 09-28-2010
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

sweet. post some pics when you can
Old 09-28-2010
Premium Member

yeah when i reassemble em. i found some good quality h11 connectors on ebay too that look like the oem ones.
Old 09-28-2010
Premium Member

wow you guys wont believe what i finally settled on. i was rethinking the yellow bulb thing, might get too hot, ruin chrome over time, crack lens from heat in winter, look ugly with yellow reflections and stupid yellow tip coating, etc... when i remembered i had a spare set of those led maxxima park light modules i used for my tyc park light. i love these because they only use 50ma and are still super bright and wide angle (uses 3 SMT leds behind a patterned lens). i used a chrome shroud for the ones in my retro, but i also found a set of rubber shrouds they came with. i stuffed it in my fog housing, PERFECT FIT like they were designed for it. the black grommet covers the entire bulb hole from the front, and from the back the grommet securely (tightly!) holds the led in place so no glue is even needed. and can easily be removed. only thing i have to do is put a small bead of 3m windoweld (also removable) around the bulb hole in the back because there are a few open holes. man this worked perfectly! and i can leave them on all the time as running lights. because of the wide angle, they light up so nice at night the whole reflector! pics coming tomorrow. still waiting on lamin-x tho before they go on but wow this is great.
Old 09-29-2010
Premium Member

okay my only beef is the chrome in the fogs is already hazy! mustve really been sitting in the box for a while. under the fluorescent lights there is alot of bluish and white haze but its not that noticable during the day at least. the color should be a perfect match with my tyc park lights that use the same module. here are some preliminary pics to enjoy just gotta put the lamin-x on and hardwire these things in place for the last time. finally!

there is a fair amount of light on the ground too, and a nice curved beam pattern. nothing that would be visible with hids on, but still good. depending on the angle of viewing you DO get reflections off the chrome. very clean looking. the metal glare shield is a bit dumb, but it doesnt get in the way much of the light. you can see the bluish messed chrome under the light

Name:  oemledfogamb1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  oemledfogamb6.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  oemledfogamb4.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  39.0 KB
Old 09-29-2010
Premium Member

this is what they look like in my headlamp park light

Name:  tycfinishedvaleosrtro10-4.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  52.8 KB
Old 09-29-2010
Premium Member

also fyi, i got these on ebay, just search something like '3/4 led' and they should pop up. its made by maxxima and has fully sealed module with rubber grommet. chrome rings are extra but wont fit thru the hole from the back. the rubber can be squished in, then you pull on the led til everything seats in place. they have these modules in clear lens (red, amber, blue, white) and also colored lens (red, amber, green). the white would look pretty sick in some setups, but i prefer the amber.
Old 09-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

nice. what's the spread look like on the road? are you wanting them to put off any usable light for foggy conditions?
Old 09-29-2010
Premium Member

nah no light. even the oems before with 55w bulbs barely put out 1 ft of light past the bumper. the leds put some light right near the bumper that oncoming traffic will prolly see and it will look like fogs, but they are about as bright a a normal park light. having more foreground just wasnt working out and i never used the fogs at all when i actually had good ones. at one point i had projector fogs with halogen H3 and catz zeta, it was much brighter than the oem headlamps lo beam and went further too, but it wasnt really useful at all other than being able to say i can drive better with just my fogs lol.
Old 09-30-2010
Premium Member

blah, well now i have people telling me that the lamin-x could cause the glass to crack! due to the heating and cooling of two materials with different properties, the vinyl could create hotspots in the glass and weaken it to the point of cracking, like when you spray them with cold water on a hot day. i know i only have leds so they wont get very hot, but im worried the lamin-x may actually worsen the problem now. so i think im just gonna throw em on naked and cross my fingers so the glass doesnt break. if it does, then i can just replace the lenses with lexan. i saw several diys where if you clamp the two sides to match the oem curved housing, then use a heatgun to soften the lexan, it will fall into shape. then just run some sealant around the lens and voila. no heat concerns with the lexan since im using leds.