Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Wired my projectors w/ Relays, now they're buzzing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Wired my projectors w/ Relays, now they're buzzing.

I got a wiring idea off of another Civic site to do this so that my halogen hi beams would also have the HID low beams on when they're on. The diagram was shown for an older Civic, and the impression I have is that it was a setup where the negative always went to both lights (hi/low) and other two wires are positives going to each bulb. From testing with a multimeter and looking at my Haynes manual, I came to the conclusion that mine was actually a single positive, with a negative for each light (Can anyone verify this??)

Once I came to this conclusion, I rewrote the diagram to fit this, and it seemed to work very well. For a day I had no problems, and then today the relay on one side started buzzing when I turned off the lights. A flash of the high beams and it went away. Thinking it was a bad relay, I switched them, and now they're both buzzing. I'm guessing that the right one is causing the relays to go bad??

Any info would be awesome! I'm very new to relays, so I don't have any good amount of understanding on them. Here are the diagrams I used to wire them. I quadruple checked them, so I'm pretty sure they're wired according to the second picture, it's just a matter of if the diagram is correct.

Original picture (not the one I used)

Here's the one I used:
Old 03-22-2007
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Re: Wired my projectors w/ Relays, now they're buzzing.

Anybody? I'm really struggling here.
Old 03-22-2007
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you totally messed up the wiring. For SPST/SPDT relay, the one opposite to each other should be the same line. ie. 30 (+ from battery) and 87/87a are the output from battery too. Then 85 and 86 should one be grounded and another from light positive. I don't know why you want SPDT here. 01-03 cars are having SPDT in fuse box.
Old 07-18-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

did you get this figured out?
Old 07-18-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

I have no idea how many positive leads are coming from the stock headlight harness. But if there are two separate positive signal leads.... one for turning the headlights on, and another for highbeam, then this diagram that I put up can be used for the signal coming from your steering column to turn on the highbeam in such a way that both your high and lowbeams light up.

If there are two separate leads (one for highbeam and one for lowbeam as aforementioned), you would have to do a separate relay for the lowbeams only (HIDs).

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pa...lay_basics.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	71906   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay2.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	71907  

Last edited by armieo; 07-18-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by armieo
I have no idea how many positive leads are coming from the stock headlight harness. But if there are two separate positive signal leads.... one for turning the headlights on, and another for highbeam, then this diagram that I put up can be used for the signal coming from your steering column to turn on the highbeam in such a way that both your high and lowbeams light up.

7th gens H4 are ground switching, so that diagram wouldn't work there. how are you controlling just the low beams there? if they're just spliced into the low wires on that diagram, then your high beams will work when the low beams are on by backfeeding through 87. also, a 20A fuse would be pushing it to run 2-55w low beams and 2-60w high beams. that's 19.2A of light. if the fuse didn't blow from the start, it probably would over time. regardless, i would only use a diagram like this if someone is going from H4 to a seperate low and high beam headlight housing. to run the low and high beam filaments at the same time on an H4 bulb is dangerous and dumb.