Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

ECE vs. DOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
ECE vs. DOT

Do you know why ECE projector has a higher cutoff (compared to DOT), and it's designed to be brighter?
Old 05-21-2006
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
ece has less restrictions? who knows.
Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

I think I stated the statement wrong...Anyway, I am thinking that all European roads at lit (as well as in some ECE localities, such as Hong Kong), they all have lights even for rural 2-lane roads. So basically they don't have much glares needed (strictly no light above cut off if aimed properly) and have all the lights shining to the ground....
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

jay78 is on a distinguished road
ECE are brighter then DOT more colors then dot...
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
dot projectors are designed to have glare above the cut off so they can light up signs, since america is ghetto and doesn't have lit signs like they do in europe and asia. Thats why thats that dot line across the projector on dot projectors. This dot line also kills most of the colors from the cut off thats why ece has more color.

Dot is also specificed that glare or the intensity has to be reduce up close when passing on coming drivers. That why dot projectors look really intense from a distance and starts to tapper off as you get closer and ece is the same through out the range.

summary
ece > dot

there is a Hidplanet thread about ece vs dot. I'll try to find it.
Old 05-23-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yup exactly. ^
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

That only explains to me that if I am using ECE projector while driving in the desert at night is going to kill myself, unless I raise the projector to shine into other people's car (in order to read signs)...
Old 05-23-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya thats why. we dont have lit signs so dot headlight needs glare.
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

Glare comes out from the UPPER half of the projector lens (view in the front) and NOT amplified by the polycarbon lens (as the lower half does), right?
Old 05-23-2006
Premium Member

hmm yea i'm pretty sure the glare is direct reflected light (from the rear reflector) and not affected by the lens. ie, take off the projector and leave the shield, you should still have glare.
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

That's what I am thinking...My whole projector is lit up yellowish white when viewed at an angle from pretty close, but as my head going lower to half way down from the projector height, I clearly see a switch from yellowish color to some super bright blue then super bright white...I think that yellow color on top of the blue is DESIGNED glare. If Temjin is right, then it makes sense because I don't see any glare at up close but the signs from 100 feet to a quarter mile are lit up...They are just so bright that I am thinking I am having trouble with other people...

I got a complaint from my friend that when I am passing him, I lit up his interior, may be it's time to get an eyelid because of the vertical glare (??)...
Old 05-23-2006
Premium Member

see with my halogen tyc, i have zero light above the cutoff and they are dot projectors. what i usually see lighting up the bottom of signs is blue from the cutoff line. i've never been flashed, altho i really wonder what other people see me as, like do they see above the cutoff, or do they see blue at the cutoff, who knows? like the altimas are aimed a bit high and all you see is bright intense blue from the cutoff.
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
yeah the intensity one the ece is more of a casual transistion. The ones on the dot ones are sharp which sucks, cuz there less color. My lights are really bright from afar, but there kind of dull toward up close and two car lengths away. Further away you start seeing more of the intensity.

When i had them aimed too high was lighting up signs from 500ft away and lighting 6lanes across. Of course i was blinding everyone, but it was nice to see me parting traffic since no one wanted to be behind me lol.

long as you have them aimed correctly you should be ok. From afar you should be visiable for like 2miles lol. People expect a BMW or a mercedes because of the lights when your behind them and they just go WTF when a civic passes them by. I love seeing that look on people lol.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 05-23-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

Yea, WTF it's a Civic...

I have my lights like stated above and never got flashed nor got any attention from anyone so I am thinking it should be fine....

When I am driving at night, I see the reflection of my projectors from SUV's in front of me, which shines purple to blue...At up close it is more white....

Last edited by 82801BA; 05-24-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2006
Premium Member

yea someone should've flashed you by now if theyre bad. i know i always do to the other ricers around here.
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

Temjin, by the term "aiming too high" do you mean you aimed it so that the cut-off goes upward and light up the sign (so you light up the signs above by high intensity)? I aim my beam at 25ft horizontal (VOR for Valeo D2S DOT). The cutoff never goes up unless there is a bump. But I can still see signs up to half mile. WTF....

Originally Posted by gearbox
yea someone should've flashed you by now if theyre bad. i know i always do to the other ricers around here.
I flash you next time for no light above cutoff

Last edited by 82801BA; 05-24-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-24-2006
Premium Member

its weird, i should see how they look on a white wall. cause from just looking, they look like parking lights until you drop your head below the cutoff which is why i dont even bother turning em on during the day. maybe its aimed too low or something. i just eyeballed it and too lazy to do better haha.
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

True, when I was using helogen, I was like, "WTF, the white parking light is brighter" then I adjusted it and yes, it lights up signs half mile away too...

Well, how should I say lighting up signs? The signs are glow color and point a flash light at a correct angle to them will light the whole thing up...

Last edited by 82801BA; 05-24-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 82801BA
Temjin, by the term "aiming too high" do you mean you aimed it so that the cut-off goes upward and light up the sign (so you light up the signs above by high intensity)? I aim my beam at 25ft horizontal (VOR for Valeo D2S DOT). The cutoff never goes up unless there is a bump. But I can still see signs up to half mile. WTF....

I flash you next time for no light above cutoff

My vertical adjust broker in my headlights so it took awhile to fix. Basically i would light up people's interiors when i drove behind them. Thats what i meant by aimed too high...lol.

My projectors has the dot line across the projector. This causes a little bit of light to form a layer above the cut off line. My cut off is below the signs, but the glare from the dot line, lights up the sign if that makes sense.

if you aimed them correctly then it shouldnt matter. If you live in a big city with lots of street lighting then it doesn't matter. I don't really notice the glare from the dot line lighting up signs unless i'm in a dark area or i'm on the freeway by myself late at night. I used likaferio's diy for the aiming part. Its pretty good with lots of pics.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=152358
Old 05-24-2006
Premium Member

this thread could use some pics
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

Basically I will light up ppl's interior when I am very close to them. Then it diminishes as the distance are farther...

There's one concern that I think is very important, is that don't aim the headlight unless you know the headlight reflector/projector is either VOL or VOR. For VOL there's a 2-inch drop from the horizontal line at 25 feet away. VOR uses the right side cutoff (the one that's higher_/----, the dot lines) at 25 feet AT the horizontal line (not 2" lower). This way makes me think that VOR has more glare on the RIGHT side because the top cutoff line is pretty much shining straight ahead to theoretically unlimited distance. If a VOL type aiming is used in VOR, then the beam will shoot to the sky.....

If I do the aiming correctly (Valeo Audi D2 projector is VOR), I will ALWAYS see people's license plate, such as some Corolla, Accord coupe, which have the license plate mounted on the bumper, at a pretty far distance but I don't see anything around that car, up to 600ft....

Last edited by 82801BA; 05-24-2006 at 09:58 PM.