Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

DIY: blue glow needles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
stupidd--the bulbs in the cluster are incandescent bulbs and not leds. As far as I know, LEDs need resistors to work. I'm not sure exactly if the leds on that site are compatible with the regular socket. Hope that helps.
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i wouldn't have the ***** to do this type of mod
Then don't post anything here and get off my thread, noob. You better know why you deserve that comment.
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupidd is on a distinguished road
so you're sure those will fit?
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

I thought of something else. You want bulbs because the light has to diffuse through the light guides. LEDs are too directed and won't work right. I'm pretty sure the colored bulbs will fit the 01 cluster only. I looked at my 02 bulbs and they are bigger. I can't say for sure, cause there are no measurements of the bulb.
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

could you get me the measurments of the stock bulbs for the 01? cause i'm gonna email the guy about the ones on the site
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

http://autolumination.com/technical_data.html
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

Lol. I looked at the bulbs from the 01 cluster and it says 74 right on them. So those are the right bulbs to get. They're only $1 each, so if you don't like the blue, you could always try white.
Old 12-09-2003
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
so then you would suggest clearing the needles then VERY light white paint on them Then use incandescent bule bulbs in stock location to try first ?
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

Yes, but only if you have an aftermarket gauge face setup, or if you're following the DIY and you acetone the back of the stock face. Otherwise it will be dim and not the right color. Those bulbs are only good for the 01 cluster.
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

I just noticed that my fuel needle has a purple tint to it. The rest are blue except for that. Figures, cause at radioshack I got 5 from one bin and 1 from another (same part number). Oh well, lol. I'm tired of messing with it.

I already had to take everything out and scotch tape the wires down so the LEDs would stay in their holes.
Old 12-09-2003
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
cool thanx, me has 01'
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

Post some pics when you get them all installed. I think there are only 5 bulbs for the backlight.
Old 12-09-2003

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
playa6tnine is an unknown quantity at this point
gearbox, i think u should make a few of them n then sell them to the people who want them. seems like a lot of people like them, they just dont wanna do the work. u can make mad $$$
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

Nice idea, but I would have to have the actual cluster and play with it. I'd be too afraid to break something. They actually sell just the wired LEDs. They're called intelliglow needles, but very pricey at around $90. If anyone local in Illinois is interested, I could help out at the next DIY meet in spring.
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

They actually sell just the wired LEDs. They're called intelliglow needles, but very pricey at around $90.

Where?
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member

My bad. It's $72 plus shipping. I think it's basically a ring with LEDs on it that goes under the needles. Not bad if you don't want to mess with all the wiring and drilling. They say there is only a red kit for 01+ civics, but you can order a blue one and just not mention your car info. They have setups at the bottom. You would want two large and two small.

http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/Needles.htm

It's almost worth it, as supplies alone will cost you $50. Then there's tons of labor involved. The ones on there are really bright because of the needles with the white paint coating. I don't know what kind, but maybe fluorescent? Almost too bright. Someone try one

Last edited by gearbox; 12-09-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2003
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
is there a way to make the guages pure white? not amber.. and still make the needles blue? without the colors getting everywhere?
Old 12-12-2003

Boiler_Room is on a distinguished road
LOOKS AMAZING , I love it.
Old 12-12-2003
Premium Member

Impulse. There is a way, but then it won't match the rest of the dash lights (which will still be amber). I was thinking of retrofitting 194 bulbs to replace the 5 smaller cluster bulbs for backlight. Then you could use hyperwhite for those. I kind of gave up, but it could work.

Either that or I was thinking about red bulbs. I'm just keeping the amber because I don't see any way of making everything match on the dash.

Last edited by gearbox; 12-12-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2003
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
why would it be amber, if its replaced with white leds?
Old 12-12-2003
Banned

oh, and why cant the needles be done with an 02s ? cause of actual paint?

also... since u got the 01 cluster... Do u now have difference milelage? or did u swap that thingy too?
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by ImPulse
why would it be amber, if its replaced with white leds?
You can do that, if you don't mind the rest of your dash lights not matching your gauges. Like gearbox, I like all the lights in the interior to match.
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by ImPulse
oh, and why cant the needles be done with an 02s ? cause of actual paint?

also... since u got the 01 cluster... Do u now have difference milelage? or did u swap that thingy too?
You can't use '02 needles as they are not lexan glass (clear plexiglass), but rather a solid red/orange plastic which doesn't channel light as well as clear lexan needles. The '02 needles can only handle one color well and be dim with others. As long as you wipe off the red paint of the '01 needles you will have bright colors (can't do with a solid color plastic).
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by gearbox
My bad. It's $72 plus shipping. I think it's basically a ring with LEDs on it that goes under the needles. Not bad if you don't want to mess with all the wiring and drilling. They say there is only a red kit for 01+ civics, but you can order a blue one and just not mention your car info. They have setups at the bottom. You would want two large and two small.

http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/Needles.htm

It's almost worth it, as supplies alone will cost you $50. Then there's tons of labor involved. The ones on there are really bright because of the needles with the white paint coating. I don't know what kind, but maybe fluorescent? Almost too bright. Someone try one
Hmmmm, this looks promising, I think I'll give this a try and you all know how it goes.
Old 12-12-2003
Premium Member

Okay, I've been thinking more about this.

First, I still haven't solved the problem of the blue LED light spilling over and mixing with the backlight. If you bought that kit, I don't know how good it will be. My LEDs are right below the needles, since I drilled holes into the plastic. I don't know if their kit is more focused or what. It says it's based on a carbon fiber ring and LED circle lights.

Second, they do have instrument backlight bulbs for the 01 gauges that are hyperwhite from autolumination.com (#74 bulbs). The problem is it will be very difficult to match the other dash lights. If you use LEDs for gauge backlight, you will see even greater spots of light. You need bulbs so the light can diffuse throughout the cluster.

I'm gonna try and fix the light spillage first. Oh and somehow one of my blue LEDs has a purple tint even though it's the same number. Don't know why. I guess DIY stuff will always have problems.

The 02 gas and temp needles only are orange plastic and can't be used. The 01 needles are all clear. Ideally, the top part of the needle should be left clear, and the bottom painted with some kind of white fluorescent paint (which I could not find). The thin coat of white on top blocks a small amount of light. Most older models have the top clear and the bottom painted white (so you see the white from the back). I'll look into this some more. Looks like everything is coming back out again for testing.
Old 12-12-2003
Premium Member

Oh and the only things I took from the 01 cluster were the needles and gauge faces. Everything else is from the same 02 cluster I had already.
Old 12-12-2003
Banned

Originally posted by NorrinRadd
I like all the lights in the interior to match.
im doing my dash over again and making that white... getting white neons under the seats... thats why i was curious about making the WHOLE guage white... including needles i guess... u think that will look good? will be mad bright, right?
Old 12-12-2003
Premium Member

I'm just pissed now. One of the LEDs is purple and the rest are blue. I don't know about white. It's gonna be super bright at night. I scraped off that paint so now the needles are just clear. We'll see how it looks.
Old 12-13-2003
Banned

lol, sounds like u may be ****ing up your 01 cluster! *_* jk

and u didnt answer the important question... Did your milage get reset? can u swap the odemeter thing or w/e its called? its 1:02am... gimme a break =]
Old 12-13-2003
Registered!!

have you tried tin foil? might be worth a shot.

Quick Reply: DIY: blue glow needles!