Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible oil leak? Or...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shawn14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible oil leak? Or...?

So I haven't popped my hood since March, about 2,000 miles ago. I had to jump start a friends car and popped my hood today and saw some sort of leak/rust formation. It seems like it's an oil leak, but not sure how it got all over the engine area like this (see pics). I haven't found an honest mechanic around here in Atlanta so if anyone has any ideas what might be the issue please let me know. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7182.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	89009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7181.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	89010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7183.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	89011  
Old 08-21-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Possible oil leak? Or...?

...I have no idea what the gold/rust stuff is from.

But there is also a minor value cover leak... which is normal. Just monitor the oil level

-first every third day for a week
-then if all looks well every other week
-then every month

...if she isn't leaking out much oil by the end of your oil life duration You're fine.

If some oil is lost just top it up and keep driving as normal.

You could also replace the valve cover gasket if you like, It's pretty easy to do yourself.
Old 08-21-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
...I have no idea what the gold/rust stuff is from.

But there is also a minor value cover leak... which is normal. Just monitor the oil level

-first every third day for a week
-then if all looks well every other week
-then every month

...if she isn't leaking out much oil by the end of your oil life duration You're fine.

If some oil is lost just top it up and keep driving as normal.

You could also replace the valve cover gasket if you like, It's pretty easy to do yourself.

Thank you!! Yeah oil level is good, doesn't seem like I've lost any oil or noticeable amount. I am mostly concerned with the gold/rust stuff. Very strange.
Old 08-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Holy ship, that's weird. You need to open your hood more often!!
I really can't think of anything that color, that would leave a mess where pictured without defying gravity to get there.

What is in the coolant reservoir? Does the fluid in there look remotely similar to the color of the mess? (engine oil film floating on top of the antifreeze) Open the radiator cap, check the level and color of the fluid in there??
Old 08-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

wow. a real mystery. No clue here, sorry.
Old 08-22-2016
Registered!!

I took it to honda today and they said it is not rust, they said it's probably residue from condensation from the AC compressor. They said nothing was leaking. Does this make any sense?
Old 08-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shawn14
I took it to honda today and they said it is not rust, they said it's probably residue from condensation from the AC compressor. They said nothing was leaking. Does this make any sense?
Tells me whomever looked at it doesn't know what it is either.
And......it's not condensation from the AC...If it were then there would 6 million other 7th gen cars with the same crap showing up there, and you're the only one who has it.

Did you or anyone else clean off all of the mess?