Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'02 EP3 High Compression - Rough Idle - Lousy Heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Si is an unknown quantity at this point
'02 EP3 High Compression - Rough Idle - Lousy Heat

I've been trying to figure these 3 issues and wonder if they might be connected.
The manual says I should have 135 psi compression with open throttle. 3 testers all agree that I have 200-205 psi on all 4 cylinders.
The idle is slightly rough but was worse before I switched to 93 octane fuel. And the heat is warm at best. I have drained, flushed and back flushed the engine and heater core separately. I have changed the thermostat and the gauge seems to be at the right place once the engine finally warms up. I have also bled the cooling system using a radiator mounted high reservoir and used fresh Honda coolant.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I want to work on getting more power from the motor but have no idea what may have been done to the car before I bought it with 99,500 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1476.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	88477  
Old 01-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '02 EP3 High Compression - Rough Idle - Lousy Heat

3 testers all agree that I have 200-205 psi on all 4 cylinders.
Sounds perfect to me.

Not sure about roughness.

If heat is poor, sometimes you have to get the heater core and hoses burped manually.....air gets trapped in the highest points and you have to remove the hose(s) from the heater pipes at the firewall to get the trapped air worked out. I stick my funnel on the radiator and fill it so the liquid level is much higher than the heater core and hoses, then remove the heater hoses slightly so trapped air can be released. Push and move the hoses so any air trapped in high spots can be moved to the burp point.

Every car can be different, some are much worse than others to get trapped air burped out.
Sometimes a couple good blasts up to redline on the road can burp the core too. Not always.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Ezone fixed your problems. But at 100K and 14 year old car, I would drive it easy and forget any additional HP. Just my opinion. PS..did you use a OEM thermostat? Aftermarket stats are JUNK.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Pretty sure the heat is due to a bad thermostat again.
Much more concerned with the high compression and rough idle.
As far as the age and mileage go, if a car is properly maintained, age and mileage won't matter. I've had modified cars with over 300k miles that were driven hard daily without problems.
Old 01-29-2016
Registered!!

"3 testers all agree that I have 200-205 psi on all 4 cylinders. Sounds perfect to me."
If spec is 135 psi how is it that 205 psi sounds fine?

'
Old 01-29-2016
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ezone;4701772]Sounds perfect to me.

If spec is 135 psi how can 205 psi be fine?
Old 01-29-2016
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

If spec is 135 psi how can 205 psi be fine?

You're only worried about the lower pressure limit, not the upper. The more pressure you can hold back the better the seal. A higher pressure number means you have a better seal around your pistons.
Old 01-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Real world experience:

I expect 180+ on almost any Honda engine of recent vintage, and many will hit in the 200+ range if it's in decent shape and has good cranking speed.

If I only get 135 PSI using my testers and my methods, the engine has a huge problem.

Also, it is possible that if a cam has jumped time it can raise compression numbers, but I've not been witness to this. I've seen plenty with a compression loss when a cam is out of time.
Old 01-29-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Heavy Si
I've been trying to figure these 3 issues and wonder if they might be connected.
The manual says I should have 135 psi compression with open throttle. 3 testers all agree that I have 200-205 psi on all 4 cylinders.
Did you do a wet (with small amount of oil ) test too?

The idle is slightly rough but was worse before I switched to 93 octane fuel.
Read: http://www.whatcouldbegreener.com/14...will-cost-you/

And the heat is warm at best. I have drained, flushed and back flushed the engine and heater core separately. I have changed the thermostat and the gauge seems to be at the right place once the engine finally warms up. I have also bled the cooling system using a radiator mounted high reservoir and used fresh Honda coolant.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
You probably did this but I am going to ask anyway:
1) Bled air from coolant while front end is raised on jack stands
2) Bled air from coolant with interior heater on max heat
3) Bled air from coolant while pumping and feeling for heat either the lower and/or upper radiator hose
4) Flushed coolant system while thermostat was out
5) Insected/tested radiator cap, reservoir hose for clogs, reservoir inlet for clogs
6) Check waterpump by watching coolant flow in radiator while revving engine and at operating temp

I want to work on getting more power from the motor but have no idea what may have been done to the car before I bought it with 99,500 miles on it.
I am just regurgitating was it said over at the Honda Tech site when, on a daily basis, someone ask about power gains for 7th gen civics:
Turbo! Anything else is a waste of money. Bolt-ons will net you very little HP or torque.
Old 01-29-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

funny... most are worried about low compression...

also, could just be carbon buildup