Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Setting Threads

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
manfredww1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting Threads

I screwed (no pun intended) up the threads inside the hole for the bolt for a front engine motor mount.
How do I fix this and if I take it somewhere what do you suspect it will cost me? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Setting Threads

I would re tap it.

There also thinks called Helicoils for fixing threads. I have never used one personally.
Old 07-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

You have to run a bottom tap through it and re-cut the threads. A heli-coil may not be necessary. You'd have to tap it before installing a heli-coil anyway.

Do a part lookup on the motor mount bolt, as if you were going to order one. It will tell you the thread size. Get the same size tap from harbor freight, northern tool, or whatever store you want.

Run the tap through slowly. As you run the tap through, when it feels tight, reverse direction a turn or so. Its cutting the threads, so when it gets tight, back up, don't keep going or you may break the tap. Then you'll have a tap to remove before you try it again.

See if you can find some videos on youtube to watch about tapping.
Old 07-12-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Use an oil while running the tap!