Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

pics of REALLY noisy rear brake - looks OK but....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorval Andre will become famous soon enough
pics of REALLY noisy rear brake - looks OK but....?

When this '05 turns left, there's a clunk-clunk-clunk every wheel revolution from the rear right. That makes sense, as the weight shifts to the right.

My mechanic said 'noisy backing plate' from just hearing my description.

But upon opening it up, I see nothing out of the ordinary. Anything here look off? I see no rub marks.

It DOES clunk pretty loud when turning left

your input is appreciated - thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1103.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	87831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	87832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1105.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	87833  

Last edited by Dorval Andre; 06-27-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pics of REALLY noisy rear brake - looks OK but....?

Shoes look fine to me, none look thin enough to worry about.

Look at the outermost circumference of the drum in the last pic, there is a rough but somewhat shiny area that is usually covered in rust.....It may have been making contact with the backing plate?

Hammer? There are threaded holes in the drum so you can use a bolt to push it off the hub instead of beating it.
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Shoes look fine to me, none look thin enough to worry about.
I replaced pads & rotors up front and also bought new shoes but when I saw that, I decided to just return the shoes.

Look at the outermost circumference of the drum in the last pic, there is a rough but somewhat shiny area that is usually covered in rust.....It may have been making contact with the backing plate?
If you heard the clunk clunk clunk at each wheel revolution, you'd agree that a single one of those clunks would result in more shiny metal if a little contact was the source of the noise. It runs almost quiet in a straight line but gets noisy when that right corner is under load (turning left)

To heck with it. I'm bringing it to my mechanic since we've procrastinated on getting the timing belt done since I bought it for her in April.

I'll record the sound and also what my mechanic does for it, in case this ends-up being useful for someone else out here.

Thanks Ezone

Hammer? There are threaded holes in the drum so you can use a bolt to push it off the hub instead of beating it.
Good eyes! I'd never beat on it. If a few little taps doesn't break it loose, I'd use a bolt. Oddly, I it popped-off by hand, without any tapping at all.
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

how many miles??

maybe change the hub! IMO brakes dont go click click on a turn

sway bar parts might need a look at!

brake hardware, wheel cylinder, and the rest should be changed so you dont have to think about the brakes again for a long time! i get drums & rotors on ebay under $20 ea

and no I dont support the "Parts Cannon" thingy cause daddy's little girl needs a safe car!!

Last edited by alex_nyc; 06-27-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

There's NO reason I can think of for a rear wheel to make such a racket so you may be on to something.

It only has 115K kms, or 71K miles. It's been driven 5000kms since we bought it in April and what started as a click click click as the wheel turned, has degenerated into a clunk clunk clunk.

When I had the drum off, I stared at it, trying to imagine what the heck could cause such a racket, given that there's no obvious huge contact / wear going on.

It's my little girl's car so it's not going anywhere until it's been checked-out by someone way smarter than me.

thanks
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i know this is a long shot but.....rear sway bar end links? wheel bearing?
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
sway bar parts might need a look at!
Originally Posted by mikey1
i know this is a long shot but.....rear sway bar end links?
It makes the clunking sound with each wheel revolution, when turning left / shifting weight towards the right side.

Can a sway bar make a noise that coincides with the wheel completing a revolution?

However: when we first bought it in April, we swapped-out rear way bar bushings (lower), since one had completely broken.
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

inspect the tire itself,

or maybe swap the two rear tires and see if the noise moves to the other side
Old 06-28-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
inspect the tire itself,

or maybe swap the two rear tires and see if the noise moves to the other side
Oooh, a rock stuck in the tread? Good idea.
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

I should have recorded the sound so you could hear the racket.

It started-off as a click click (I posted about it and you guys suggested it was a CV joint at the time link) and even that was too loud to be a a rock in the tire.

Now, another 2000 miles later, it's a much louder clunk clunk that you can perceptibly feel. It's definitely not a stone.
Old 06-28-2015

None of us can hear the noise yet either LOL.

I'm sure nobody realized your noise was coming from the REAR of the car in the previous thread, you never made any reference to such.
Seems like most noise complaints originate in the front, so that's where all our guesses went.

=============

Does the noise occur without applying the brakes, or do you have to push the brake to hear it?

Hell, swap the tires and drums side to side and see what happens?

MS Paint FTW"
Here I tried to mark the shiny spots in the edge of the drum in red, it looks like the areas have been rubbing against something (the backing plate??) to wear the rust off and make shiny contact points:
Name:  8Q3gqS4.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  1.54 MB
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

The sound is audible (barely) when driving straight. It starts REALLY clunking when driving around a left-hand turn, regardless of brakes being used or not.

I've heard a grinding drum many times - awful sound. Can't be confused with the clunk-clunk-clunk I'm hearing now

I noticed the wear you highlighted too but immediately dismissed it because a single one of those 'clunks' would result in more wear than is seen in the pic. Plus, that wear is dispersed around the drum - The car clunks at one distinct point, each wheel revolution.

And I assume it's relevant that the sound has gotten much worse than when I first reported it in April.

Anyway, I'm resigning myself from this until tomorrow. When my mechanic test drives it, I'll be in the back seat beside the offending wheel to record the event. I'll post the video/sound, as well as the official diagnosis.

More as it comes - thanks guys

Last edited by Dorval Andre; 06-28-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Dorval Andre
It's definitely not a stone.

it could be anything in the tire,

i have seen tires with razor blades in them, making the sound you describe

swapping the tires and inspecting them is worth the time, see if the noise moves with the tire
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

so your making this turn and it makes a noise... could it be your ABS kicking in trying to correct traction and theirs a problem with the wheel cylinder or something ABS related?

hoping ezone can answer this one!
Old 06-28-2015

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
so your making this turn and it makes a noise... could it be your ABS kicking in trying to correct traction and theirs a problem with the wheel cylinder or something ABS related?

hoping ezone can answer this one!
OP says the noise is in the rear, while the ABS pump would be in the engine compartment if equipped.
The car does not have traction control or vehicle stability control, so IMO the driver would have to be braking in order for ABS to do anything at all.

OP has not said if the noise only happens during braking though.
Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

ezone was right

Rust buildup. It was so bloody LOUD that I couldn't imagine that little bit of rub evident in the pictures to be the cause of the racket.

My mechanic cleaned it up and all is well. Thanks guys