Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pressure washed engine - running rough!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lancetailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Pressure washed engine - running rough!

Hello all,
I just recently bought a 2004 Civic EX and wanting to give it a good cleaning stopped at the DIY car wash bay yesterday. I noticed they had a selection for "engine degreaser" so I sprayed down the engine and then power rinsed it all clean. On my drive home it was "bucking" and didn't have very much power and the engine light came on and was flashing. It was about a 15 minute drive home and then it sat all night and this morning I cranked it and it was still running rough with the engine light on and so I didn't drive it today. I have since read online that you should never power wash the engine without covering delicate parts....argh stupid me! Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I take it to a local mechanic or is there something I can do to get it running strong again? I really hope I didn't damage anything on the car...yikes! Please help...thanks!!
Old 11-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pressure washed engine - running rough!

Pull all the coils out. It sounds like you got water in the spark plug holes.

You might be able to use compressed air to get everything dried out, but then again there could be damage such as carbon tracking on the porcelain and coil boots.
Old 11-15-2014
Registered!!

Thanks ezone, I did pull the coil wires and looked at all the plugs and they seemed to be dry. I took a compressed air hose and blew it all around the engine and I now have the car parked in the garage with a fan blowing on the engine overnight....see if that helps. Really hope I didn't damage anything too bad!
Old 11-15-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got codes?

Typical misfires cause the engine light to flash..... but pressure washing can force water into places it should never be, such as wiring connectors.
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Still running rough....what's the next step? Any suggestions? I don't know what to do....should I take it to a mechanic?
Old 11-16-2014

Got the codes from the check engine light? That would be a starting point.

Pull spark plugs and look for signs of carbon tracking on the white outer shells?

Driving around with a poorly running engine can ruin the catalytic converter.
Old 11-16-2014

Tracking like this occurs on both parts, the plug and the boot. If you don't replace both at the same time, it comes right back. One can cause the other.

Once you know what the codes are, if misfire codes you can swap parts from one cylinder to another to see if the code moves with the parts or stays in the same cylinder.

If you haven't got it figured out by Monday AM, then I'd suggest take it to a pro.
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Ezone, Thanks so much for the pics and the suggestions! I'm on it! I stopped by Advance Auto and they quoted me $69 for each coil which sounded a little expensive to me so I just purchased some spark plugs. I'll pull them out tonight and take a look at them and then if that is indeed the problem purchase the coils as well so I replace them both. Thanks so much!
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

So I just pulled all the coils off and the spark plugs out and they all look fine to me. Should I at this point bring it to a mechanic to see what the codes are showing? I'm at my wits end.
Old 11-16-2014

I figured you would have got water in the spark plug holes, that's real common when someone washes the engine.

Since it doesn't appear to be that.....

Finding out what the codes are is the thing to do.
That way we can know what the computer saw as wrong, no guessing.
Then figure out what to do about it....

Many auto parts stores will check codes for free, but they can't fix cars LOL
Old 11-16-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

erm, did you buy the plugs without checking them first?...

parts cannon...
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

I'll go to the parts store tomorrow and have them check the codes. Thanks again so much for all your help!
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

civicloco is an unknown quantity at this point

When water intrudes either by pressure washer or extreme puddles ignition components are the first to suffer. Start the engine with the hood opened in a dark place. Most times you'll notice high voltage arching fireworks around components.
Old 11-16-2014

Originally Posted by lancetailor
I'll go to the parts store tomorrow and have them check the codes.
Get the actual code numbers in the standard OBD2 "Pxxxx" format (i.e. P1457, P0325, etc.).

The "fault descriptions" some of those parts store code readers give are only designed to sell a shopping list of parts.
Old 11-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

high pressure water like that can very easily CUT hoses and wires, even in a matter of a second or two, this is going to be a nightmare to solve
Old 11-17-2014
Registered!!

Talked to my mechanic today and he said to spray WD40 into all the electrical connectors since it is a water displacement. He said also pull the coils and spray the boots with WD40. Does this sounds logical to you all?

I first took it to the CARQUEST Parts store and the guy there plugged it in to check the codes. I came up with PO300 (random, multiple misfire), PO301 (cylinder 1), PO302 (cylinder 2), PO303 (cylinder 3) and PO304 (cylinder 4).

Last edited by lancetailor; 11-17-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: further explanation needed
Old 11-17-2014

check the codes.
If it is still running poorly, it sounds like there's probably water still hiding in the coils.

WD40
I guess you don't have anything to lose at this point?
I'd be trying to dry it out using compressed air though.

You already checked on how much coils cost.....
Old 11-17-2014
Registered!!

I found a set of 4 coils online for $70 which is a great deal. http://www.am-autoparts.com/2004/Hon...19/373569.html

I will try the WD40 and see what happens.
Old 11-17-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

dont buy them coils before you test it!!!

ezone, where's your parts cannon picture?
Old 11-17-2014

Originally Posted by sdaidoji

ezone, where's your parts cannon picture?
It's in google image search LOL

Name:  SzALe.png
Views: 181
Size:  486.8 KB

Somehow, this one made it to the top line of the google image search

Someone order an airdrop?
Name:  PartsAirdrop.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  43.2 KB

Airdrop from a Stealth Bomber?
Name:  StealthPartsBomb.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  31.9 KB

dont buy them coils before you test it!!!
I'm still wondering if the engine still runs poorly at this point.

Since this car went to hell immediately after washing the engine, I think OP is probably on the right path with the coils but he just hasn't been able to see exactly how they got water in and failed yet.

The coils in the link....10 year guarantee? How long has that company been in business? How long before they shut down and reopen under a different name?
The "AM" in our name is a short acronym for "AFTERMARKET", as in Aftermarket Auto Parts.
I LOL'd.It's almost like the O.E.M. brand from Autozone et al.
Old 11-17-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

hahaha, great ones, ezone!

lancetailor, just try to find out more of the problem before shooting the parts cannon. it usually doesn't end well to your wallet.

of course ezone might be right (he usually is), but try the cheaper options indicated by him before buying parts.
Old 11-17-2014

but try the cheaper options
Find someone with the same car you can swap parts with?

Midnight spree at the Walmart parking lot?