Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

A/C works, Heater does not

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nuke777 is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C works, Heater does not

after being in a small accident the left side of my front bumper had a little dent. I gave my car to a reputable repair shop. They replaced bumper assy and decided to replace a bunch of other stuff to make money of the other guys insurance, like head light assembly, head lights, door handle, repainted the door...etc. All cool...... up until I test my heater and it does not work.

I called these guys explained the situation and they told me to bring it in and they will asses if its an accident related or not. well it is not accident related since it worked fine after the accident.

The engine runs at a normal operating temps, I cheeked the coolant level and it was good, checked the temperature control **** and it moves when I switch between heat and no heat. the only thing that is left is either a bad thermostat or a cloged heater core. how do I test these two? also if my thermostat was at fault wouldn't a/c also not work?
Old 10-18-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C works, Heater does not

checked the temperature control **** and it moves when I switch between heat and no heat.
****? What ****? You mean the one on the dash that you spin, or the water valve out in the engine compartment?

the only thing that is left is either a bad thermostat or a cloged heater core.
There's a lot left.
Air lock in the core, bad water valve, water valve not opening, HVAC door or mode motor issues, straight undiluted antifreeze, maybe more.

Did the bodyshop have the cooling system open for any reason? Did it get a radiator replaced or something? Did it get the correct antifreeze, and is it the proper concentration?

how do I test these two?
By understanding how they work and observation/testing of temperatures at certain locations.

What's the temp gauge do? Does it show cold all the time?

What temps are the heater hoses at the firewall?

also if my thermostat was at fault wouldn't a/c also not work?
Only if the engine were overheating.
Old 10-22-2014
Registered!!

sorry for my late response i was so busy with the work that i completely forgot that I posted here.

****? What ****? You mean the one on the dash that you spin, or the water valve out in the engine compartment?
lol I spelled the word **** wrong or what?? never knew there is a swear word like that . the one that is out in the engine compartment.

There's a lot left.
Air lock in the core, bad water valve, water valve not opening, HVAC door or mode motor issues, straight undiluted antifreeze, maybe more.
oh boy this is way over my head, I hope it is just a thermostat. coolant is ok, I used 50/50.

Did the bodyshop have the cooling system open for any reason? Did it get a radiator replaced or something? Did it get the correct antifreeze, and is it the proper concentration?
they claim they only replaced radiator bracket, nothing more.

By understanding how they work and observation/testing of temperatures at certain locations.

What's the temp gauge do? Does it show cold all the time?
it's showing normal temps between cold and hot right on the middle.

What temps are the heater hoses at the firewall?
how do I locate that firewall?

today the heater started working again, I strongly suspect the thermostat is sticking.

thanks for your reply.
Old 10-22-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

how do I locate that firewall?
That's the vertical panel of sheetmetal between the engine compartment and the passengers compartment.
today the heater started working again,
Gonna make it tough to diagnose if it's working right LOL.

I strongly suspect the thermostat is sticking.
Try it and see, it's certainly cheap enough. I urge you to use a factory stat though.
Old 10-23-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That's the vertical panel of sheetmetal between the engine compartment and the passengers compartment.
Gonna make it tough to diagnose if it's working right LOL.

Try it and see, it's certainly cheap enough. I urge you to use a factory stat though.
bastard stopped working again . guess Ill have to wait for that thermostat to come in the mail, will change that and see from there.

again thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old 10-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Thermo is cheap enough, sounds like air. Sticking thermos usually aren't intermittent. Replace the thermo and fill the system up to make sure any air is out. It is commonplace for leaks to rear their head after a collision, don't rule it out.
Old 10-23-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Thermo is cheap enough, sounds like air. Sticking thermos usually aren't intermittent. Replace the thermo and fill the system up to make sure any air is out. It is commonplace for leaks to rear their head after a collision, don't rule it out.
good tip thanks, will do that once the thermo comes .
Old 10-25-2014
Registered!!

I replaced thermostat added coolant, purged the system of air and surprise surprise, it still does not work. after running the car for 25min I cheked the two hoses that connect to the firewall and they are cold. also the hose that is connected to the thermostat is cold also. any ideas?
Old 10-25-2014

Go back to posts 1, 2, and 3: What were you calling a "****" in the engine compartment?
Old 10-25-2014
Registered!!

Go back to posts 1, 2, and 3: What were you calling a "****" in the engine compartment?
I read online and some fool called it a **** but i think its called heater control valve. how much does heater controll valve move, mine moves only 1/4 inch.
Old 10-25-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nuke777
mine moves only 1/4 inch.
The one with the blue cable attached, on the firewall near the top ??
(01-05 models)

That may be the problem.
Old 10-25-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
The one with the blue cable attached, on the firewall near the top ??
(01-05 models)

That may be the problem.
I will take a picture tomorrow of when the heat is turned on and off.
Old 10-25-2014

I read online and some fool called it a **** but i think its called heater control valve. how much does heater controll valve move, mine moves only 1/4 inch.
NOW do you understand why I wrote what I wrote in my first reply?

The lever on that valve should move a quarter of a turn (90 degrees) going between full cold to full heat.
If it doesn't make the full quarter turn, you need to find out why.
Old 10-26-2014
Registered!!

NOW do you understand why I wrote what I wrote in my first reply?

The lever on that valve should move a quarter of a turn (90 degrees) going between full cold to full heat.
If it doesn't make the full quarter turn, you need to find out why.
wow 90 degree!! no way mine moves that much. the bloody thing is located in such a deep assholl that it will be hard to work in there. at least now I know which component is acting naughty with me.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

located in deep
What model year are we discussing here btw ???
Old 10-26-2014

Originally Posted by CraigW
What model year are we discussing here btw ???
I found 02 LX coupe in his handle history, I assumed this is about the same car.

OP: Whenever you start a thread, please state exactly what your car is in the first post. It makes things so much simpler.
Old 10-27-2014

Agree, ^^^

The 7th gens are right up top (have never found any info for a valve used on 06-11 models...and find that strange)
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

sorry guys, yes its 02 coup lx. I manualy moved that heater controll valve with a long screw driver and whala the heat came back. unfortunately if I turn heat off and put it back on its getting stuck so I have to move it with a screw driver again. Does it mean I have to replace that entire thing or maybe I can lube it or something?
no way in hell I'm replacing that one myself, its in a completely inaccessible place.
Old 10-27-2014

You need to figure out WHY the cable isn't moving the lever correctly.

Inspect at both ends of the cable, inspect the outer sheath of the cable for not being anchored in its little clips at either end, heater box linkages, etc.
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

You need to figure out WHY the cable isn't moving the lever correctly.

Inspect at both ends of the cable, inspect the outer sheath of the cable for not being anchored in its little clips at either end, heater box linkages, etc.
yeh I was also wondering if it's the cable getting stuck or the lever on the valve. I'll have to check that one out on one of these weekends, at least now I have heat.

thanks again.
Old 10-28-2014

Can you move it with your fingers ?? May be binding if you need a long screwdriver.

Would that valve try to move during the HVAC system test ???
Old 04-17-2015
Registered!!

well now its permanently stuck and I cant manually pry it with a long screw driver, so I'm stuck with no heat . is there a good guide on how to remove and replace that heater control valve for civic 2002. this valve is located in such a deep @!#hole that the sheer thought of trying to remove it scares the bejesus out of me.
Old 04-17-2015

is there a good guide on how to remove and replace that heater control valve for civic 2002.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...pdated-12.html
Old 04-26-2015
Registered!!

thanks