Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 ex Vtec faulty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ubnpast is on a distinguished road
2004 ex Vtec faulty?

I got an 04 ex civic 2 months ago, it has 80k miles. I cant feel vtec (or even notice any difference in the speed of the rpms). I know its not going to throw you back in the seat, however I looked at an 01 ex today and you could feel the vtec and also watch as the rpms move quicker from 5-7k, that car had 103k miles.

Is there any kind of test I could do to see if it is working?
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2004 ex Vtec faulty?

does that means you did drive that 01?
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
does that means you did drive that 01?

Yes I drove the 01, I was suprised that it was noticable unlike my 04.
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh, did you do any maintenance on the car since you bought it?
Oh, and was the 01 with any mods in the car? or just stock?
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

hunh, did you do any maintenance on the car since you bought it?
Oh, and was the 01 with any mods in the car? or just stock?
I only had the car for 3k miles, when I got it I changed the oil and then just did it again. My car was stock, and so was the 01.
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

one way is to check for filters, spark plugs, etc, the normal stuff, so you unlock the original "supposed to be" "power" of your engine.
Another could be that your car could have been driven by an grandma pace, so the car never ran high, so it will not run as well in higher RPM - yes, that happens.
Usually, you don't really feel well the V-TEC engaging, though. the EX just changes from 3 and a half valves to 4 valves - yes, that's how our v-tec works.
just check if everything is working well, all the parts are ok, and rev more to see if the engine will unlock itself.
My car always worked happier after a long 600 mile trip, when it ran in higher rpm for a longer time. Ah, don't forget to use the fuel cleaner from time to time, like the STP's or similar.
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

to be sure, you can also do this. Google is your friend!
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=26576
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ight-pics.html
But always start from the obvious first, the engine could simply not getting enough air from a clogged air filter!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-23-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

usually honda designs the vtec system to seamlessly deliver power at higher rpms, so you do not feel any kick or change-over.
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

check ongoing thread here as well
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...help-vtec.html
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
usually honda designs the vtec system to seamlessly deliver power at higher rpms, so you do not feel any kick or change-over.
Im not looking for the big kick but I dont notice any changes in the rpm, usually vtec will move a bit quicker after 5k (like the 2001 that I test drove today).

My moms rsx type s has a very noticable vtec engagement.
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

Ill take a closer look at my car tomorrow. I did put a new clutch in a few days back, but its always been the same non noticable vtec engagement..
I dont see how the ECU relearn procedure could affect this?
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Im not looking for the big kick but I dont notice any changes in the rpm, usually vtec will move a bit quicker after 5k (like the 2001 that I test drove today).

RSX type S are a completely different animal than the EX engine. They change the camshaft timing, while the EX civic change from 3 and a half valves to 4.
Ours D17A2 engines (SOHC, economy VTEC), the RSX are K20 (DOHC, real VTEC, there are a lot more other types of K20, actually).

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-23-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

I dont see how the ECU relearn procedure could affect this?
?!? why ECU?
Old 08-23-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but you only have a 100 hp motor, theres only so much power you can feel. mom has a 200hp motor and a much better vtec system, completely different from the civic.

Old 08-24-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah but you only have a 100 hp motor, theres only so much power you can feel. mom has a 200hp motor and a much better vtec system, completely different from the civic.
lol i know about power I had a 96 lt4 vette that ran low 11s off of n20(and was looking to go faster), brother in law is part owner in turbo trix.

I know it’s an economy car, but all I’m saying is that the rpms increase at a steady consistent rate, when I drove the 01 ex I was surprised because I watched as the rps rose from 1-5k evenly then rose 5-7 noticeably quicker.
Old 08-24-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

You shouldnt really notice a change in your car with the vtec. If your not throwing a code for vtec then you are fine. Stop worrying, vtec isnt everything.
Old 08-24-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
You shouldnt really notice a change in your car with the vtec. If your not throwing a code for vtec then you are fine. Stop worrying, vtec isnt everything.
Im not worried, just curious to as why 2 cars are different, mine runs great & got it from the original owner.

The other has had 4 owners, it seems stock on the outside except for a short shifter (I mean short as in 2" long, not short throw lol), (maybe a cam?).

I took off my vtec solenoid today, it works when power is applied. I cleaned it off, painted it and now it looks like new
Old 08-24-2010
Registered!!

nevermind

Last edited by ubnpast; 08-24-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

I was just looking through my haynes manual to get tq specs for the timing belt that I am changing tomorrow, and noticed that it said the vtec solenoid has a screen, mine does not have a screen, is that normal?
Did you take off your vtec solenoid and check. If you really dont have one then that is not normal.
Old 08-24-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Did you take off your vtec solenoid and check. If you really dont have one then that is not normal.
Nevermind, I just did a search for a pic and realized that I only removed the top 3 10mm bolts, and not the entire assembly that bolts to the back of the block
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

My understanding is that the economy version (on the D17a2) just doesn't "kick" like the regular versions.
That's about as technical as I can get on that, though. lol