Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dash light issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003civicex5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
Dash light issue

Car details: 03 EX Coupe 5 speed. Car never in accident, flooded or had an electrical issue. Have had car since day 1. Car shows no other issues than those described below.

First noticed yesterday that the SRS, BRAKE, BATTERY and ABS lights have been coming on randomly on the dash. Just seemed to start about 24 hours ago. Also noticed that the headlights would get bright, brighter, brighter, then get dim and repeat. I realize these are the lights that come on when the car is starting, but I don't know the correlation.
For now, mostly because of the headlight thing I am going to change the battery. It's a little over 3 y/o, 76k and I'm in the Northeast. I've also had to jump a neighbor's beater car 3 times in the past week.
Any other ideas? I'd like to save a costly trip to the dealer since the car is long out of warranty. Thanks
Old 11-19-2006
Registered!!

2003civicex5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
update

A little update...

Stopped by Autozone today, and they load tested the battery and alternator. Battery shows fine, but alternator is putting out an average of 16.08 volts at 2,000 RPMs. It's also only putting out 54 Amps (70 amp alternator). Does this mean that maybe the alternator is screwed?
Looking for any input from people with knowledge of auto electrical systems. Thanks
Old 11-19-2006
Registered!!

Axe Man is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like the voltage regulator in the alternator has shorted out. The voltage should never exceed approx 14.5 volts. I would pull the alternator and have it bench tested.

And yes, jumping your neighbor's beater might have damaged your alternator if they have electrical problems.
Old 11-20-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
new alternator time