Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2005   #1
Registered!!

specks is an unknown quantity at this point
how do i check to see if water pump is bad?

I own a 2001 civic lx 5-speed....my car has been overheating and i want to know how to check the water pump to see if it is bad. what do i check for, how do I do the proceedure, is there an aftermarket water pump i can use that is better than stock? here's what I've done: I changed the thermostat, the fan switch, the radiator, the hoses, filled coolant, bought a brand new stock radiator cap, and mechanic already checked the head gasket....its all good. which leaves me with the water pump. any help would help. thanks
specks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #2
Registered!!

tacheon is on a distinguished road
If your car is running, the water pump is working. A water pump fails when the bearing and shaft seal leaks. You'd be leaking coolant from the water pump weep hole at the pump. A competent mechanic should be able to troubleshoot an overheating engine. I don't understand why a mechanic would check a headgasket and leave it at that. It could be a mechanical or an electrical problem causing an overheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by specks
I own a 2001 civic lx 5-speed....my car has been overheating and i want to know how to check the water pump to see if it is bad. what do i check for, how do I do the proceedure, is there an aftermarket water pump i can use that is better than stock? here's what I've done: I changed the thermostat, the fan switch, the radiator, the hoses, filled coolant, bought a brand new stock radiator cap, and mechanic already checked the head gasket....its all good. which leaves me with the water pump. any help would help. thanks
Old 11-02-2005   #3
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Jrfish007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacheon
If your car is running, the water pump is working. A water pump fails when the bearing and shaft seal leaks. You'd be leaking coolant from the water pump weep hole at the pump. A competent mechanic should be able to troubleshoot an overheating engine. I don't understand why a mechanic would check a headgasket and leave it at that. It could be a mechanical or an electrical problem causing an overheat.

Yeah, like he said you'll notice something leaking. My question is how did a mechanic check the headgasket with removing the head? If you remove the head, you take off the timing belt, in which case it is good practice to change the water pump. A compression check may not find a leak in the cooling jacket directly out. I too question the mechanic in this case, get a second opinion from a well know shop IMO.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #4
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold
Get a second opinion....

not to thread hijack but is $200 unreasonable for a head gasket for our cars?
iPR #7
40 Gig Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox ZEN Xtra
Diana Ham.....rest in peace.....
shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02 , 2000 , 2005 , bad , check , civic , hole , honda , how , lx , pump , troubleshooting , water , waterpump , weep