Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 Ex auto, sluggish/no acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dantheman42 is an unknown quantity at this point
96 Ex auto, sluggish/no acceleration

My 96 ex will not get up to speed quickly at all. From a stop i need to almost redline to maintain a Normal acceleration. Hills are laughably bad. No *****. After getting up to 45 mph i can get off the gas a bit. But passing people is sad. Seems to only have issues under 3000rpm. Shifting fine. My exhaust manifold, cat converter, o2 sensors (up and downstream) have all been replaced. Also plugs,wires, distributer cap. Exhaust still leaks slightly near manifold. I can hear it "rattling" due to leak. No CEL. was told my transmission is 100% good. And that my downstream o2 sensor is "flatlining"
Can an o2 sensor fail without a cel? And can that alone be the cause of my civics castration? Is it JUST an o2 or wiring? Best way to test? Other possible causes? Was told by a different shop my tranny fluid was burnt. Does that mean my tranny could be a part? Also master cylinder is going bad ( sometimes sinks sometimes doesn't) locks on one side don't work, oil leaks blah blah. So is this even worth doing? 210 miles on her.
Old 09-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 96 Ex auto, sluggish/no acceleration

No *****.
Camshaft and ignition timing checks?

Can an o2 sensor fail without a cel?
Yes

And can that alone be the cause of my civics castration?
Probably not, but you can't say for sure until you find the true cause.
Could be a cause, or it could just be a symptom.
Could be doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

Best way to test?
Disconnect and drive, see if symptom improves
EDIT: Not necessarily the best way, but it's something.

Was told by a different shop my tranny fluid was burnt.
Is it?

Does that mean my tranny could be a part?
Not necessarily.

Why are you floating to different shops?

Last edited by ezone; 09-03-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 96 Ex auto, sluggish/no acceleration

Originally Posted by dantheman42
My 96 ex will not get up to speed quickly at all. From a stop i need to almost redline to maintain a Normal acceleration. Hills are laughably bad. No *****. After getting up to 45 mph i can get off the gas a bit. But passing people is sad. Seems to only have issues under 3000rpm. Shifting fine. My exhaust manifold, cat converter, o2 sensors (up and downstream) have all been replaced. Also plugs,wires, distributer cap. Exhaust still leaks slightly near manifold. I can hear it "rattling" due to leak. No CEL. was told my transmission is 100% good. And that my downstream o2 sensor is "flatlining"
Can an o2 sensor fail without a cel? And can that alone be the cause of my civics castration? Is it JUST an o2 or wiring? Best way to test? Other possible causes? Was told by a different shop my tranny fluid was burnt. Does that mean my tranny could be a part? Also master cylinder is going bad ( sometimes sinks sometimes doesn't) locks on one side don't work, oil leaks blah blah. So is this even worth doing? 210 miles on her.
You stated the transmission is shifting fine...however, a severely slipping transmission would emulate power loss because torque is not being converted properly. Doubt if that is the issue but no harm in doing an ATF drain and fill.
Exhaust leaks near manifold? If it's the exhaust manifold gasket or doughnut it could cause power loss: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+leak+symptoms and not throw a CEL.

If your car is low on oil the Vtec may not be engaging but, Vtec wouldn't make a difference at lower RPM's. You or a mechanic need to do some testing:

1) Cylinders compression test: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...-compression-1

2) Spark test :http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...blems-2919450/

Wouldn't be surprised if your distributor coil is weak and on it's way out..test first before replacement.