Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2014 Civic suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edspyhill09 is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't a question about upgrading the suspension, just OEM.

Front wheels:
When I roll over a road crack or shallow pothole at very low speeds the front end bottoms out and sounds like the engine is falling out. It is a solid bang conveyed through the frame. It also happens at higher speeds if I fail to see a break in the road surface. It sounds like metal to metal.

Rear wheels:
The rear wheels bottom out with loud thumping banging noises.

The car was bought in Oct 2014. The dealer I bought it from (J.L. Freed) always has an excuse why they can't look at it.

Do I have a lemon? Is it possible this car was damaged in shipment? Time to abandon Honda?

Ed
Old 05-27-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2014 Civic suspension issues

Find another dealer while you still have 3/36.
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Going to a new dealer tomorrow. But does anyone have an idea what is going on? If this is how Civics drive, this is my last Honda. I was almost ready to buy a civic for my wife but not now.

Thank you,

Ed
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Front wheels:
When I roll over a road crack or shallow pothole at very low speeds the front end bottoms out and sounds like the engine is falling out. It is a solid bang conveyed through the frame. It also happens at higher speeds if I fail to see a break in the road surface. It sounds like metal to metal.

Rear wheels:

The car was bought in Oct 2014. The dealer I bought it from (J.L. Freed) always has an excuse why they can't look at it.

Do I have a lemon? Is it possible this car was damaged in shipment? Time to abandon Honda?

Ed
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point

Slow speed bumps are smooth, but high speed, especially with passenger, sounds like it's bottoming out. I thought I was in my old lowered Honda. Just in the front though. I don't know if its normal or not. I don't drive that aggressive, so it hardly ever happens.
Old 05-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Check tire pressures first.
Waaay overinflated tires might generate a complaint like yours.

If you have to adjust pressures, make sure to reset the tire TPMS calibration before you drive it, or else you will get that tire pressure warning message coming on.

EDIT: Make sure your car isn't overloaded. 4 decent sized adults might max out the load capacity of the car.

If that doesn't solve your issue, find another dealership.
The car is under warranty, right??

While you are at the dealer, you might test drive another car like yours and see if it acts much different on bumps.
Old 05-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Also, in case anyone wonders why this thread reads funny, two threads have now been merged
Old 06-12-2016
Registered!!

Herrld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edspyhill09
Front wheels:

Rear wheels:

Ed
Ed, what was the resolution? I'm having the same issue. Linda