Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2010 hard downshift concern

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cabits is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 hard downshift concern

My 2010 EX coupe automatic has a harsh downshift if you use the brakes to slow the vehicle while driving in 5th gear. I have also had a delay in it finding a gear when slowing for a red traffic light and it changes to green but the car has not come to a complete stop yet. Is this considered normal?
Old 10-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 hard downshift concern

I KNOW I can feel the up/down shifts, but I expect to feel them and I pay attention to them.

If it has always done this, it is probably normal.

If the car is new to you, then go test drive an identical car to compare....before you think yours has a problem.

The car should have 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty (USA) if there is a real tans problem, and 3/36 warranty bumper to bumper if there is any real problem at all.

JMHO: Change the trans fluid more often than recommended. Use dealers fluid only (Honda ATF DW-1). Every 30k or sooner.
Old 10-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 hard downshift concern

technically those problems are "normal" for a honda. the hard downshift is the grade logic kicking in when you brake going downhill. on flat road or uphill, it wont happen. never figured out why they did that one. the clunk when slowing down from cruise to below 20mph (but not stopping), then pressing the gas is also technically normal for this trans and seems to have become a problem on 01+ civics. older ones quickly found gear without any jerking. minimize the roughness by gently easing on the gas when you start to go again.