7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 Civic CEL codes P1298 and P1457

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBRBlaize is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2003 Civic CEL codes P1298 and P1457

I had the CEL come on a few days ago and had the codes that came up were P1298 and P1457. The dealership quoted more than $800 to replace the ELD, EVAP Canister, purge solenoid and vent solenoid. What im wondering is if that the P1298 code could be caused by a failed solenoid because i'd like to not have to replace everything if I dont have to.
Old 07-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Civic CEL codes P1298 and P1457

to replace the ELD
You can buy a new ELD and DIY replace it, that should take care of the P1298 code.
EVAP Canister, purge solenoid and vent solenoid.
It probably needs the vent shut solenoid, and it probably needs the canister as the screws for the solenoid are probably frozen in place. Someone should have put the 2 screws on the parts list.
The purge solenoid is another common failure item, it can get restricted and causes the same code.

SO.. I think they may be covering their bases pretty well, and these are all fairly common needs for that car.

If you can DIY, the whole job can be done in your driveway, save cash and still be using genuine Honda parts.

Many Honda dealers sell parts online at wholesale prices

HTH
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

CBRBlaize is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably should have mentioned more about the research ive done but ive gone to different auto part stores for some opinions and they didn't know much nor did they want to sell me the parts. I also looked on the forum and no one really had another answer than to replace everything. I really want to know if a failed solenoid, making an open circuit, could be causing the ELD to throw a code, so the only thing I would need to replace would be a solenoid.
Old 07-15-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I really want to know if a failed solenoid, making an open circuit, could be causing the ELD to throw a code,
No, that's not how this works.
The ELD is bad, there's even a service bulletin specifically detailing the cause and repair. I might be able to link a copy if you need it.

Replacing the ELD cannot solve the P1457 code either.

HTH
Old 05-05-2016
Registered!!

blackem2 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so as for fixing the P1457 issue which I hear is by by the front of the gas tank? What would be needed to change it my self? And sorry for bringing back a dead post.
Old 05-05-2016

Originally Posted by blackem2
OK so as for fixing the P1457 issue which I hear is by by the front of the gas tank? What would be needed to change it my self? And sorry for bringing back a dead post.
Would you prefer to try to figure out what the actual cause of the code is, or would you prefer to toss a pile of parts at it?

Purge valve is on the throttle body
the rest of the parts mentioned are under the car in the rear by the drivers side tire.
Old 05-06-2016
Registered!!

blackem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the car has been sitting for 15 months and I just installed a new engine and had to replace a bunch of hoses and solenoids ect ect. Only issue remaining is p1457 code I changed the valve under the hood but I'm not sure which one underneath the car the charcoal canister is right inside the left rear wheel but I don't see the rest unless it is the unit directly in the middle of the car in front of the gas tank?
Old 05-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Change the EVAP by-pass shut valve and canister with OEM parts as per the attached TSB to solve the P1457 code.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
mil-comes-on-with-dtc-p1457.pdf (289.4 KB, 1554 views)
Old 05-06-2016

but I'm not sure which one underneath the car the charcoal canister is right inside the left rear wheel
I'm in the rust belt.
The CVS (Canister Vent Shut) valve is attached to the canister with a pair of (stuck) screws, and tends to rust through the sides allowing leakage. This has been the most common failure for me. Not the only possible failure, but I see it frequently.

Name:  MfQguaL.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  769.0 KB

This was a bench test with the whole thing under about 1 PSI pressure, sprayed with soapy water to find the leak.
Old 06-16-2016
Registered!!

jerro95 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same P1457 code, and have replaced everything from the solenoid in the front of the car, to the vent shut valve. I know for a fact that my gas cap is able to hold pressure. The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the charcoal canister in the bottom center of the car next to the gas tank. I've done some research and I've heard that it could be a leak in the EVAP lines. I've heard that you can check for leaks by using a "smoke machine". How exactly do I use the smoke machine to check for leaks? Can someone direct me to a link on how to do that.

I live in California which sucks because the state is hungry for whatever money they can get from you, (cough, cough, emissions, cough cough) I have to get my car smogged soon.
Old 06-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, testing for the source of the EVAP leak in the rear of the vehicle is ideal. The only component you did not replace that I did to rectify the P1457 code is the charcoal canister. The screws from the EVAP By-pass Shut Valve were so corroded into the canister that I replaced it as well.

Gas cap, filler neck and gas tank leaks are other areas to search for leaks.
Old 06-17-2016
Registered!!

jerro95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any suggestions on how to check for the leaks? How exactly would I know if It's leaking? Would the area generally smell like gasoline, or would I hear a hissing? This is the first time I've had to deal with looking for leaks around this area. But If you can help direct me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate the info. I'm quite eager to fix this thing so that I can hurry up and fix this problem so that I can smog the car.

I know my cap is able to hold pressure because I always hear the pressure release when I remove the cap. Can this suggest that the neck of the gas tank is not leaking?

Would you suggest replacing the charcoal canister if I can't find any leaks?

Last edited by jerro95; 06-17-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: addition of detail
Old 06-17-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jerro95
Any suggestions on how to check for the leaks? How exactly would I know if It's leaking? Would the area generally smell like gasoline, or would I hear a hissing? This is the first time I've had to deal with looking for leaks around this area. But If you can help direct me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate the info. I'm quite eager to fix this thing so that I can hurry up and fix this problem so that I can smog the car.

I know my cap is able to hold pressure because I always hear the pressure release when I remove the cap. Can this suggest that the neck of the gas tank is not leaking?

Would you suggest replacing the charcoal canister if I can't find any leaks?
Try spraying with soapy water?

As for the filler neck from what you're describing that sounds fine