7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clunking when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joe_cool97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clunking when going over bumps

Hi, I have a 2002 SI with 186 000km on it.

I am having a noisy and irritating issue with the front passenger side.

Whenever I go over any bumps, I'm getting a harsh clunky noise.
I have just replaced both front lower control arms (with new bushings), lower ball joints, and front stabilizer links. Basically the front end was (is) due for maintenance. Everything is looking pretty tired. NOW I want to eliminate the suspension noise.
Is it a possibility that I need to replace the front upper control arms? It sounded very much like lower control arms (hence the fix: they were looking pretty bad themselves). But I still have the noise.

I need to get my car in for an alignment, but I don't want to get an alignment and then have more front end work done to it, throwing it out of line again.

Any input? I'm going on a long car trip and want to make sure this baby is running smooth and straight!

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-18-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Clunking when going over bumps

Sounds like it could be a bad upper strut bearing/mount.

Support the car on jacks stands and take your jack and jack up the side that you think is bad (from the lower control arm). Not all the way compressed just a little. Turn the wheel see if you can hear the sound. Also maybe try to compress and uncompresse the strut to see if the sound can be heard.
Old 07-18-2013
Registered!!

Turn the wheel?

The harsh noise only happens when I run over sewers or small bumps on the road.
The left side feels great after the other work I did on the front end, but the right is still making the same noise it did before.
Is there a chance that it is the upper control arms? or can I rule that out.

I'm bringing it in to honda tomorrow to have an alignment. Is there something I should have them look at specifically? I want to make sure it gets fixed before they line the car up!

Last edited by joe_cool97; 07-18-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

There are no upper control arms so it can't be that. McPherson strut design in the front so there is only the lower control arm, end links, ball joint, tie rod end, cv joint and the strut with all of its components. Have the brakes been done recently? Something could be loose causing the clunking noise.

Usually clunking when you turn is a sign of the strut mount/bearing but I have seen them clunk when going over bumps in a straight line. While it is there for the alignment maybe have them investigate a little. Check if they offer an alignment warranty so that way if they align it and you fix the problem afterwards you can return it have them do it again.
Old 07-19-2013
Registered!!

Yeah, it doesn't matter if I am turning or not. If I am driving down the road and run over a large crack etc, manhole cover, I get the loud noise as if it is a control arm bushing, but it sort of sounds like it mmmight be coming from a bit higher up (but I'm not sure). The noise really does resemble the metal on metal of a pooched bushing. So have them check the upper strut mount?
Does anyone else have any knowledge on this subject, so I am sure to get it fixed?
Old 07-19-2013
Registered!!

K, so at the dealership, they said they couldn't spot anything. The tech working on it during the alignment said all he can think of is the strut mount, and recommended replacing the entire strut (which I don't think is totally necessary). Is replacing the upper strut mount a difficult job? Any suggestions on this would be great!
Old 07-19-2013
Prelude Owner

No it's not a difficult job. Just make sure you mark the mount and everything before taking the strut apart so that you can put it back together correctly. There is a DIY on indexing springs. No need to replace the whole strut. I would replace the mount and bushing. Bushing is not that much money.

You can remove the strut yourself and inspect the bearing and mount befor buying new parts.

OEM parts.

Last edited by GolNat; 07-19-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2013
Registered!!

Do these cars have sway bar bushings? Could they be making the noise?

How could I go about changing them?
Old 07-21-2013
Prelude Owner

Yea they do have sway bar bushings and end links which could make a clunking noise but not as likely.

To check you can either remove the front sway bar completely or disconnect the end links from the lower control arms and see if the sound goes away.
Old 07-22-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

most famous are the endlinks or top mounts. and golnat is right, after the 6th gen, these cars do not have double wishbone anymore. no upper control arms on yer car, sorry.
Old 07-24-2013
Registered!!

I've replaced the stabilizer bar end links, ball joints, control arms (with all new bushings), and the brakes were checked out and were fine.

Does this mean that is most likely the top mounts? Is there a DIY for this?
Anymore help on this mystery clunk/rattle/loud suspension noise would be great

and to clarify, nothing happens when I turn the wheels, I do not hear the popping noise from a bad strut mount.

Last edited by joe_cool97; 07-24-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2013
Prelude Owner

Top mounts are the only things left.

Here is a great DIY:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...fo-pics-9.html