Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Do It Yourself Spring Install - Detailed Info & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chuntera is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Do It Yourself Spring Install - Detailed Info & Pics

This DIY was extremely useful when I replaced my struts.

The upper seat (rubber) has an index/perch for the spring. Unfortunately my aftermarket springs (tokico) won't line up with both the bottom and the top perches. Is it important to index the top spring seat ?

Another question, do I have to line up the rear upper mount/upper seat ? I don't see any special markings on the rear upper mounts.
Old 01-23-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not sure, but i guess they start making noises if not indexed in stock. aftermarket... hunhnnnn...
Old 03-31-2012
Registered!!

japeabody is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this post is forever-ago old, but I want to say thanks because this is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

EM2Driver is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an awesome post and thank you for making it. I just put in an order for a set of KYB AGX with Strut Mount/Boot Kit and Eibach Pro-Kit.

I'm wanting to keep my stock components all intact so if/when I sell my car it will be a direct swap. My concern now is what additional components will I need ensure a proper installation of the new components?

I've been looking at the website Honda Automotive Parts: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...A5MT&catcgry5=

For the front struts I feel I'll need: Illustration #'s: 2,7, maybe 9.http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SHOCK+ABSORBER

For the rear shocks I feel I'll need:Illustration #'s: 8, 12...http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SHOCK+ABSORBER

Can someone advise which additional components I'll need?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Grey Ghost will become famous soon enoughGrey Ghost will become famous soon enough

Nice DIY. I will be doing mine pretty soon. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-13-2012
Adam Scheer

slowaimer is an unknown quantity at this point

So the problem that some are experiencing with the rear strut bolts is just the bolts locking up this can sometimes be solved with PB blaster and ALOT of heat, and other time it has to be drilled out or have the head broken off, PB blaster and heat seems to work for most. Hope this helps, im doing mine within the next few days crossed fingers that nothing locks up!
Old 12-16-2012
Registered!!

Mjaymd is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant find the DIY instructions.. Is it in the 1st thread?
Old 12-22-2012
Registered!!

Ketchup is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having trouble loosening the two rear 14mm nuts. What tool did you use to get leverage for those?
Old 03-27-2013
Registered!!

Oswald Rabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mjaymd
I cant find the DIY instructions.. Is it in the 1st thread?
Hi. Just new to the forum. Maybe you can point me. 2001 Civic EX with sloppy, clunky suspension. 140K. Need to regain solid footing with components and probably struts. I don't want performance upgrades, just solid stock (I think - unless there are some upgrades that everyone has gone to). I really want to buy and install all new suspension components - as many as possible in the driveway. Where to buy? What to buy? I saw one cool video on the forum showing how to replace 2003 front struts but couldn't find similar 2001. Same? A 2001 is a generation 7? Shoot - just getting started. Used to drive an Alfa and miss the handling. Not expecting the same, but at least back to solid and sure footed. Help!
Thanks. Jim Oswald, Monterey, CAL
Old 03-27-2013
Registered!!

paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oswald Rabbit
Hi. Just new to the forum. Maybe you can point me. 2001 Civic EX with sloppy, clunky suspension. 140K. Need to regain solid footing with components and probably struts. I don't want performance upgrades, just solid stock (I think - unless there are some upgrades that everyone has gone to). I really want to buy and install all new suspension components - as many as possible in the driveway. Where to buy? What to buy? I saw one cool video on the forum showing how to replace 2003 front struts but couldn't find similar 2001. Same? A 2001 is a generation 7? Shoot - just getting started. Used to drive an Alfa and miss the handling. Not expecting the same, but at least back to solid and sure footed. Help!
Thanks. Jim Oswald, Monterey, CAL
strut install is the same for 01-03 as 04-05 just you have a 14mm? knuckle not not 16mm. As for upgrading without going for coilovers or lowering springs you can buy civic si (ep3) suspension parts or rsx (DC5) suspension parts. just for the knuckle nuts you will have to get adapter washers, thats on here somewhere. Other than that everything is a direct swap. The si and rsx are sportier so you may get a stiffer suspension that way, not positive though. You can get strut bars, sway bars tie bars that kind of stuff as well. Other than that the only other thing you can really do is buy coilovers or lowering springs
Old 06-01-2013
Registered!!

Besimple1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I need Help! I have a 2003 civic hybrid and I have replaced the struts, shocks and springs.
List of parts/problems:
4 lotech struts/shocks
4 ebay special lowering springs
1 rear camber kit for rsx
I know I bought cheap crap but it's hard to find parts for a hybrid.

In the rear the drivers side sits an inch lower than the passengers side. I put the stock springs back in and it is totally jacked up. The ebay springs were to big around for the lotech shocks so I cut the flange off the stock shocks and used them like a big washer so the springs didn't slide off the side. Problem ebay springs solution: What lowering springs would work?

In the front it is a little different because it uses the struts from a 2002(14mm top nut) Right? When I installed them I have lost the ability for the steering to center itself around a corner. I know the tires are scrubing badly because I need an alignment. Would the need for alignment possibly be the only reson for the lost of centering capability? I haven't got an alignment until everything is ready for one.

The rear camber kit seems to work great. It's an ebay special, but I'm not sure. It had the same 1 inch difference with the4 stock camber bar.

I know most of my problems are because I have crappy stuff. The only reason I purchased it was because noone can really help me with the correct parts for a hybrid. Hence forth, I choose to try the cheepest way possible and work the problems out.

Any ideas on how to make this work would be helpful. I am not driving the car because my tires would fry off. I want to get new springs, but I don't know which ones would fit my car. Please help!!!
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

238k=mymls is an unknown quantity at this point

95 civic 2dr w/sunroof and moving any ideas for an affordable roof rack
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Cool, love dirty hand and parts..Put together real well