7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

break my chasis when jack up my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windsnow is an unknown quantity at this point
break my chasis when jack up my car

I tried to lift the front wheel on the passenger side.
Because of choosing the wrong spot for the jack stand and the top part
of the stand went into the chasis.
How it happened was the front passenger wheel got lifted up a bit, but it sinks
slowing and the top part of the jack stand went into the chasis and making a hole there (flat metal sheet got bended).

I wonder what's inside the chasis? and will there be a problem for my car?

thanks
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: break my chasis when jack up my car

i think it went into your floor board not your chassis . whats going to happen is water is going to get in and possibly start to rust your floor boards and the carpet is going to get all wet and moldy. i would lift up the carpet and hammer the hole flat and fill it in with something like JB WELD then spray the bottom with under coating.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i think it went into your floor board not your chassis . whats going to happen is water is going to get in and possibly start to rust your floor boards and the carpet is going to get all wet and moldy. i would lift up the carpet and hammer the hole flat and fill it in with something like JB WELD then spray the bottom with under coating.
thanks.
So you mean when I lift the carpet in my car I can see the ground?

I didn't expect that I made such a mess.
Let me take a look at it tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Lots of us have done that, don't stress to much about it.
Old 12-12-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I was fixing my gas/trunk lever and realized I was able to see through the floor pan of my car.. So I'm imagining you're able to see something like this
Name:  IMG_2431.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  85.8 KB

I hammered out what I could, and cut out the deformed metal surrounding the hole, and patched it with fiberglass, both in and out of the car. After it cured, I sprayed a black rubberized coating on both sides of the fiberglass patch
Old 12-12-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its not a big deal. if there is a big hole, try and cover it up with some metal weld putty. most of my car is bumpy and messed underneath. honda shouldve made a longer jack point.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

or you could use it to throw your drugs out if you get pulled over.
Old 12-12-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they might notice when it goes under the rear tire and explodes all over the place
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

What_It_Do will become famous soon enough

I don't see what's the big deal with jacking the front end of your car up.
If you don't have access to a hoist.
Use a floor jack and raise both wheels off the ground from the front center subframe, and use jack stands (I prefer to place a small towel on the arms to prevent metal on metal) on the side rockers right behind the front wheels.

Why you would use any other method or location is beyond me.

Last edited by What_It_Do; 12-12-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I only use the factory jacking points, and sometimes sub-frame to jack up the front. That said, imagine my surprise when I found the hole in my floorpan
Old 12-12-2010
Premium Member

it only works on the front. what if you need to raise the rear?

also yeah i find random holes too esp in the trunk where the wheel wells are. looked like some rocks came in.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
what if you need to raise the rear?
Jack it under the hook, like the manual says.
Old 12-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I'm pretty sure mine happened when I was on a deployment, and someone thought the drain plug would be a good jacking point on my car..
Old 12-12-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
and someone thought the drain plug would be a good jacking point on my car..
permanent drain
Old 12-12-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lazlong
i use the rear LCA frame

also yeah i find random holes too esp in the trunk where the wheel wells are. looked like some rocks came in.
same here, sometimes the trunk is kind of wet after a rainy day... afraid to look, but when i am back in TN, will need to after all the salt up north... anyone up for a TN great shape shell car?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-12-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

thanks guys for all the suggestions.
I can see a big bump in my car.
I will hammer it and patch it to repair the hole.
hope I won't make further mess on it.
Or any suggestions how to fix it are welcome
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Exact same thing happened to me. I had a hole in the floorboard, like everyone else says, i hammered it back down and patch it.

I was worried when it happened so i took it to carstar and they said that they wouldn't let me pay them to do a job like this cuz i could do it myself xD
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

+1 rep for carstar. Gotta love an honest businessman.
Old 12-12-2010
Premium Member

i maxed the jack out and the car was too low for stands to fit on each side in the rear. its barely enough to lift the front.

Originally Posted by lazlong
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

i maxed the jack out and the car was too low for stands to fit on each side in the rear. its barely enough to lift the front.
lol. Get a real jack. One with at least 20" of lift. I got the $20 2-ton jack at Oreillys and ran into the same problem.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

never heard of carstar but i also found holes in my trunk i can see rite threw to the pavement i noticed that there were little black things that look like your suppose to tie things down in the trunk i unscrewed them and filled the holes with JB weld.
Old 12-13-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

checked my car for holes, nothing, then again its only gone into the air via rotary lift (you don't make mistakes with using a lift or your car falls off)
Old 12-13-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
Exact same thing happened to me. I had a hole in the floorboard, like everyone else says, i hammered it back down and patch it.

I was worried when it happened so i took it to carstar and they said that they wouldn't let me pay them to do a job like this cuz i could do it myself xD

nice to know that you can do it by yourself.
When putting the patch on, do you just do it from inside the car or under the car as well? Any brand of patch that's good?
Old 12-13-2010
Registered!!

Actually this is not my first time jacking it up.
but somehow I still made this kind of mistake.
thanks again guys.
Old 12-13-2010
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by windsnow
nice to know that you can do it by yourself.
When putting the patch on, do you just do it from inside the car or under the car as well? Any brand of patch that's good?
Well i guess being able to do it yourself depends on how big the puncture is.

I didn't have time to do it so i asked my dad to do it for me, he's asleep now so i'll ask him tomorrow what he used lol
Old 12-15-2010
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

This is tricky **** on our civics.. I always make sure i dont put jack under the floor of the car, I always put it under the metal piece that looks like this ===..