7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Creaking front end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
Creaking front end?

I posted this in the problems ssection up top with no success, hoping someone can help me diagnose the problem

i first heard the problem monday, was fine tuesday and now today, wednesday is back. but it seems to only happen when slowly creeping up to a car ahead, like at a stop sign. but its usually only when its on a hill.

it basically sounds like something creaking, popping or flexing..

______
so ive done a search and nothing i searched seems to sound like the same problem im having.

i first noticed this today when i was in traffic approaching a red light. it sounded like my wheel well was rubbing or dragging on the wheel/ground. so i figured id pull over and look. every time i creeped foward i heard a clicking noise the faster i went the more frequent the noise happed so i know it wasnt engine related, it sounded as it was in the tire or something, so like i said i thought something was dragging.

i get into a parking lot and nothing was wrong, everything was in place. wierd. so i deciced to go around a few blocks to try to recreate the issue. once i noticed nothing was wrong i was thinking axel's. but when i first heard it was i was going straight and now is more notabable when im turning. its more of a creeking noise not clicking noise, so i was thinking suspension.

basically i just wanna know my axels arent about to go. i just got my brakes done a few days ago. and today was the first time i heard this noise.

but now it sounds more like a creeking when the wheels are turned and slowly accelerating, i dont notice any issues when going fast. it seems to be only when under 10mph.

thanks for any help
its a 2003 civic ex coupe with 100K
suspension never been touched. everything is stock
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Creaking front end?

it could be the upper strut bearings check into that.
Old 05-27-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

The upper strut mount could be the cause.
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

Mine makes a popping noise as well from the passenger side tire
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

yeah its a popping/creeking/ flexing sound. it just makes me feel like something could go boom. where would i find this bearing.. im kinda a noob when it comes to suspension stuff. and how much does that usuall cost?
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

the noise follows the pattern of when you put cards in your bike spokes. the faster you go the more noise it makes. almost like something is in my spokes of my rims. then it stops a second or 2 later.
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

Retell is an unknown quantity at this point

Would it happen to only happen when you accelerate?

I had this issue and it was loose bolt in the power steering.
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

Retell is an unknown quantity at this point

Just finished fully reading your post, it could be a loose bolt. I first heard it and was worried something was going to fall out of my wheel well. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

the upper strut bearing is number #9 in this diagram .the part online can go from $18 - $25 each try www.hondapartsdeals.com

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-26-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

yeah it only happens when i accelerate, but slowly. like creeping through a stop sign after the person infront of me just went, it seems to only happen on hills as of right now. the noise comes and goes. some days its fine. somedays ill hear it every so often. i can feel it in the accelerator pedal as well. the bearing theory is starting to sound like the problem.. hmm. this car has been nothing but problems. only 2 more years with it.
Old 05-28-2009
Registered!!

jagass is an unknown quantity at this point

Check for bearings...
Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

ok well this noise has changed and i dont think its getting any better, it now sounds like a wheel bearing wearing out. my moms 95 civic made the same noise but when u pulled on her wheel that was bad there was play. jacked mine up the other day and everything is tight as glue. there is no play in any of the 4 tires. is it possible to have a bad wheel bearing with no play?

im taking it back to my mechanic for the second time. the first time i took it in (since he had just done the front brakes) he said the head shield behind the rotor could have been rubbing or hitting the brakes (rotor or caliper or something) he adjusted it. it seemed to be fine, and now the other night i heard this wheel bearing noise... it only really makes the noise when your foot is taken off the accerator and the car is coasting. going in a straight line.. this tends to happen mostly over 40 mph but it sometimes happens going slower than 40. it doesnt do it when taking a right hand bend on the highway but only when going straight and worse when bending left.

sounds all like wheel bearing symptoms. the whom whom whom whom... but no play in the wheel. whats up with that?
Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

ok well this noise has changed and i dont think its getting any better, it now sounds like a wheel bearing wearing out. my moms 95 civic made the same noise but when u pulled on her wheel that was bad there was play. jacked mine up the other day and everything is tight as glue. there is no play in any of the 4 tires. is it possible to have a bad wheel bearing with no play?

im taking it back to my mechanic for the second time. the first time i took it in (since he had just done the front brakes) he said the head shield behind the rotor could have been rubbing or hitting the brakes (rotor or caliper or something) he adjusted it. it seemed to be fine, and now the other night i heard this wheel bearing noise... it only really makes the noise when your foot is taken off the accerator and the car is coasting. going in a straight line.. this tends to happen mostly over 40 mph but it sometimes happens going slower than 40. it doesnt do it when taking a right hand bend on the highway but only when going straight and worse when bending left.

sounds all like wheel bearing symptoms. the whom whom whom whom... but no play in the wheel. whats up with that?
Old 06-03-2009
Registered!!

could be an unbalanced tire or tires. I also thought my wheel bearing was bad and i was getting ready to change it, but then i got new wheels with tires and the sound went away. My car rides quiet now except when i make a turn over a bump then i here a creaking poping noise coming from the front end. I didnt notice it before because my tires were too loud
Old 06-03-2009
Registered!!

Problem solved. after taking a closer look 2 of the lugs on my front right wheel were never tightened... they became so loose i could tighten them with my fingers. went around and tighten all the lugs and she drives nice and smooth again. i guess when my mechanic changed the brakes he never tightened those 2 lugs.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-04-2009
Registered!!

^no offense or anything but ur mechanic is an idiot to let u drive with only 2 tight lug nuts.
Old 06-04-2009
Registered!!

westcali_playa is an unknown quantity at this point

haha same thing happened to me the other day after i was working on my suspension i drove down the block to and my wheel almost fell off, all 4 bolts were loose
Old 02-24-2016
Registered!!

Steven Eisler is an unknown quantity at this point

Loose lug nuts lol .. brutal mechanic.

Anyways, my front end has started creaking pretty bad. Ball joints are stellar and everything else checks out. I too have been told upper strut mounts etc. I see that you guys suggest replacing the bearing .. is it possible to lubricate the creaking ones? If so, what is the process? Thanks for the help