7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Squeal when AC is on

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Squeal when AC is on

Recently, whenever my AC is on, it makes this horrible squealing sound. It immediately stops if I turn of the AC (press the AC button and the green light goes out) or if I turn the vent speed to zero, all the way counter clockwise.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

I searched the forums for a while and couldn't find anything that sounded like my issue, but I could have not been using the correct words.

Also, I had a similar (almost exact) issue on my 1999 Nissan Frontier. For that, it turned out (after taking it into the shop several times), that the AC unit needs some more oil. And this was after replacing all of the belts.
Old 11-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeal when AC is on

makes this horrible squealing sound.
This complaint is usually caused by a loose belt.
Old 11-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yup tighten your belt up there's a wingnut around the alternator that tightens the belt.

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-19-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

belts. common. to any car.
Old 11-26-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

after you tighten is, you might want to spray some belt conditioner on it to clean it up.

also WD40 works as well.
Old 11-26-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
after you tighten is, you might want to spray some belt conditioner on it to clean it up.

also WD40 works as well.
Bad advice IMHO; Belts are supposed to be dry. No oils of any kind, that can drastically shorten the life of the belt.

Tighten if the belt is good, replace if the belt is bad. Clean and dry. (water is not harmful though)
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

dcogan85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Bad advice IMHO; Belts are supposed to be dry. No oils of any kind, that can drastically shorten the life of the belt.

Tighten if the belt is good, replace if the belt is bad. Clean and dry. (water is not harmful though)
I am having the sane issue, we have to tighten the belt every month it seems. We've changed belts once already and they keep coming loose. Any idea on that?
Old 09-17-2014

Originally Posted by dcogan85
I am having the sane issue, we have to tighten the belt every month it seems. We've changed belts once already and they keep coming loose. Any idea on that?

(Assuming it's the alternator and AC belt on a 7th gen car)
Some things come to mind:

Alternator hardware wasn't tightened properly allowing the alternator to slowly move, belt now loosens as the alternator moves inward

Cheapo belt, some of them tend to stretch after installation

Contamination (oil), leaking power steering pump or something?

Belt simply wasn't tight enough to begin with

HTH
Old 09-24-2014
Registered!!

dcogan85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
(Assuming it's the alternator and AC belt on a 7th gen car)
Some things come to mind:

Alternator hardware wasn't tightened properly allowing the alternator to slowly move, belt now loosens as the alternator moves inward

Cheapo belt, some of them tend to stretch after installation

Contamination (oil), leaking power steering pump or something?

Belt simply wasn't tight enough to begin with

HTH
I'll check the alternator. Thanks. Also,.doubt It's a cheap belt. We bought the most expensive belt they had.

Last edited by dcogan85; 09-24-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2014

Originally Posted by dcogan85
Also,.doubt It's a cheap belt. We bought the most expensive belt they had.
My use of the term 'cheapo' has little to do with retail price.