Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   Squeal when AC is on (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/357743-squeal-when-ac.html)

Fuego 11-19-2013 06:55 AM

Squeal when AC is on

Recently, whenever my AC is on, it makes this horrible squealing sound. It immediately stops if I turn of the AC (press the AC button and the green light goes out) or if I turn the vent speed to zero, all the way counter clockwise.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

I searched the forums for a while and couldn't find anything that sounded like my issue, but I could have not been using the correct words.

Also, I had a similar (almost exact) issue on my 1999 Nissan Frontier. For that, it turned out (after taking it into the shop several times), that the AC unit needs some more oil. And this was after replacing all of the belts.

ezone 11-19-2013 12:25 PM

Re: Squeal when AC is on

makes this horrible squealing sound.
This complaint is usually caused by a loose belt.

lowlife9 11-19-2013 06:29 PM

yup tighten your belt up there's a wingnut around the alternator that tightens the belt.

sdaidoji 11-19-2013 07:50 PM

belts. common. to any car.

sl33pyriceboi 11-26-2013 08:47 PM

after you tighten is, you might want to spray some belt conditioner on it to clean it up.

also WD40 works as well.

ezone 11-26-2013 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4652945)
after you tighten is, you might want to spray some belt conditioner on it to clean it up.

also WD40 works as well.

Bad advice IMHO; Belts are supposed to be dry. No oils of any kind, that can drastically shorten the life of the belt.

Tighten if the belt is good, replace if the belt is bad. Clean and dry. (water is not harmful though)

dcogan85 09-17-2014 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4652946)
Bad advice IMHO; Belts are supposed to be dry. No oils of any kind, that can drastically shorten the life of the belt.

Tighten if the belt is good, replace if the belt is bad. Clean and dry. (water is not harmful though)

I am having the sane issue, we have to tighten the belt every month it seems. We've changed belts once already and they keep coming loose. Any idea on that?

ezone 09-17-2014 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dcogan85 (Post 4671410)
I am having the sane issue, we have to tighten the belt every month it seems. We've changed belts once already and they keep coming loose. Any idea on that?

(Assuming it's the alternator and AC belt on a 7th gen car)
Some things come to mind:

Alternator hardware wasn't tightened properly allowing the alternator to slowly move, belt now loosens as the alternator moves inward

Cheapo belt, some of them tend to stretch after installation

Contamination (oil), leaking power steering pump or something?

Belt simply wasn't tight enough to begin with

HTH

dcogan85 09-24-2014 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4671429)
(Assuming it's the alternator and AC belt on a 7th gen car)
Some things come to mind:

Alternator hardware wasn't tightened properly allowing the alternator to slowly move, belt now loosens as the alternator moves inward

Cheapo belt, some of them tend to stretch after installation

Contamination (oil), leaking power steering pump or something?

Belt simply wasn't tight enough to begin with

HTH

I'll check the alternator. Thanks. Also,.doubt It's a cheap belt. We bought the most expensive belt they had.

ezone 09-24-2014 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dcogan85 (Post 4671740)
Also,.doubt It's a cheap belt. We bought the most expensive belt they had.

My use of the term 'cheapo' has little to do with retail price.