7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

Power Steering Flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Power Steering Flush

I flushed my power steering fluid today.

You will need:
Jack
2 jack stands
3 pints of Honda Power Steering fluid
Pliers
cork from a wine bottle
razor knife
A rag or two (there are always spills and drips)

Lift front end off ground, use jack stands.

You will need to disconnect the return hose from the reservoir. This is the one toward the rear of the reservoir. Before you do, you will need to remove the majority of fluid in the reservoir with turkey baster bulb. Use your pliers on the return hose clamp and remove the hose. Put the hose in a container. I used an old 2 liter bottle.
Plug the reservoir with the cork. Shave down the end with a razor knife to make it fit.
Remove as much of the remaining fluid as you can with the baster bulb.

Fill with new fluid.

Keep engine off! Insert key into ignition and turn to the On position so your steering wheel lock doesn't engage. Turn the wheel all the way left and then all the way right. Or go right and then left... doesn't matter. I was able to peek under the open hood and see the power steering fluid as it was pumped into the bottle.
Keep your reservoir filled with fresh fluid and keep working your steering wheel until the fluid coming out of the return line looks like it is fresh from the bottle. After about 2 pints I emptied my bottle often to keep an eye on the fluid.
When your fluid comes out of the return looking pristine, your flush is done!
Attach the return hose to your reservoir with the clamp. Top off your reservoir to the full line. You should have about half a pint of new fluid left.

I advise taking your car off the jack stands before driving. Do not use the turkey baster on turkeys anymore. Keep it with your automotive tools. Get a new one for the turkey, don't be a cheap skate.
Old 11-24-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Power Steering Flush

thanks!
Old 11-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda in Chile is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Power Steering Flush

That's great information. Here in Chile Honda stuff costs an arm and a leg. One bottle is about $11 and I was going to buy five bottles. But you saved me 20 bucks. Thank you

If you ever think of doing an ATF complete flush and fill let me know. I did one with an excellent video and even found a few things to make clearer for the viewer

Old 11-05-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Power Steering Flush

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Do not use the turkey baster on turkeys anymore. Keep it with your automotive tools. Get a new one for the turkey, don't be a cheap skate.
oops