General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

under car neon kit legality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
under car neon kit legality?

obviously under car neon kits are illegal in most if not all states.. but does anyone know if they're a primary offense or if a cop needs to pull you over for something else first (like speeding or somethin) thanks, lata[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

BiGDoG is on a distinguished road
I think they are legal if u have them on while parked and illegal if ur drving with them on but not sure if its a primary offense...Hopes this helps a lil.
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

mochopechochochi is an unknown quantity at this point
just stay on private property and you should be ok.
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

Cross is an unknown quantity at this point
In Virginia and Florida they are totally illegal I believe. I know in Virginia you can't even have any neons on while parked. I know that in New York everyone has red and blue undercar neons on while driving, but since the cops are so involved in homicides noone has time to write tickets. I have had mine on alot and got warned 3 times by mostly state troopers. They say it's not illegal while parked, any color, but it's sorta illegal while driving cause it can cause a distraction. For example, some kid says look Dad Fast and the Furious and the dad looks and wham. That's what one state trooper said quoting in an example. So to be safe don't drive with em on, and if your parked light it up like a xmas tree.

Randy
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

yah, i dunno that id drive with them on... but at least flick em on if a possible competitor pulls up beside me
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

ecliptiCz is an unknown quantity at this point
Just get a radar scan. Turn the neons off when you hear some bleeping, flick em back on when the donut-car whizzes by.

Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

crazydragon is an unknown quantity at this point
In VA, your not suposed to have them, but if you don't have them on while the car is running all they can really do is just warn you. A bunch of my friends have pretty much betten the cops into submission, b/c they kept on getting pulled over, and told that their not supossed to have them, but we still have them on while parked, and the cops stoped pulling us over b/c it will just be a wast of time.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

CivicXS2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually they aren't that Illegal, you just gotta place them right! What I mean is if you have to get under the car to see the bulb or the toob you are fine, If you can see the neon toob from like 30-50 feet away then you have probs. ! Cops wont hassle you if you cant see the toob only the illumination! I know several Cops! Just dont try it at all in Florida!
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks like i missed something in my signature...
Old 01-30-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE!!!!!!!!!!!

Here in Texas, everybody says that they are illegal (unwritten law), I've looked up the Texas State Laws, and it says nothing about neon lighting!!!!!

I've talked with numerous policeman, I asked "Is it illegal to drive with these on", they said no,
(Plus i do know a few cops)

Check your local laws
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

SoCalCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
well right now im really just talking out of my a$$ but since everything is illegal in cali id have to say theyre illegal in cali
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
Joel,

They are illegal here in PA. As far as I believe up when were at the Pike, the Silver Spring cops don't say anything if they're on while PARKED. Start moving and its a fine for you. Same with washers. For you man, I wouldn't even dare flicking them on in Hershey...cops up there are **** as all hell. Other boroughs to watch for? Steelton, Middletown, Lower Paxton Twp. They see em, you get fined, and you get to rip it off in front of them. Better get em wired to a switch with easy access...
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
So where are they legal at? Doesn't look like many places, but I see why they would be illegal. I'd want some for my Civic. In Cali, any lights on the outside of the car that don't help you drive better (or others drive better) is illegal. I'd do it anyways, but not while driving cuz you can't see cops at night.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, don't even get me started on Hershey cops[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] One night i saw a car pulled over in downtown, one right by where the bushes say "HERSHEY COCOA", and one up on top of the hill beside spring creek golf course.... In other words they pulled 3 ppl over at the same time within a friggen mile!!! Ugh... Anyways, in Palmyra the cops are few and far between, however I was told they can be a pain in the a$$ too GRRR[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] oh well, my friend that drives the Cavy Z24 got em so I'll ask him if he knows of any "safe" places he used them that he didnt get pulled over lata all
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Neo, just a warning for ya... On 322 west beside Hummelstown(before you get to Hershey) there's a speed trap, except it's sneaky as hell!! The best way to describe this spot, is it's after the Middletown exit and before the on ramp from Middletown... There's a car on the side of the road that's abandoned with it's trunk open, i just found out that's a damn speed trap!! Sometimes there a Jeep that parks in front of it, to make it look like the ppl are just broken down or whatever and a cop uses a speed gun inside the Jeep. Then, if your *** is caught, another cop will come down from that on-ramp and pull you over... I'm not sure it this is true or not about being a speed trap, but just wanted to warn you incase it's legit... later
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

QCKSILVR is an unknown quantity at this point
I know that in New York neons and the windshield lights are an equipment violation and are a $55 fine. The police herre do not have to observe any other violations to stop the car, that is, a stop can be made solely on observing the lights...There are some officers in my department that will stop any car with them and issue summonses, however they do not really bother me that much.
Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

BlueMeanie is an unknown quantity at this point
well theyre not illegal in alabama, well bham at least cuz theres tuns of cars down here that cruze around a mall with cops galore that constantly ask you to turn down the stereo...soo ima prob get one...theyre so damn tight
Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i knew bout it...but I dont go near 322 cuz of the accident I got in where a woman ran over the median and hit me last year...I only take 322 when I ABSOULTLY need to [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2002
Registered!!

Belle is an unknown quantity at this point
the cali DOT specs don't say anything about lights lighting up the ground around your car. the closest it comes is you can't show red to the front or blue to the back or front. so i'm going to get mine green and argue it to the bone. if i can't get out of it, it's not a huge fine, somewhere around $50 and i'll just not drive with them on, just sit in the parking lot looking all poser wanna-be like.
Old 02-03-2002
Registered!!

TeamStylesRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] i live in california and i talked to a cop last week about them. he says they are legal only if the car is parked AND on private property. otherwise they are illegal