Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Pulled over for headlights

Old 06-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ballistic is an unknown quantity at this point
Pulled over for headlights

Okay, so heres the story, at about 8:50 pm or so on 6/22 I was pulled over by a police officer for my yellow tint on my headlights, I got a ticket for $71.20 and 3 points off my license for this 'citation'. Now, I was under the assumption that if I were to be pulled over it would be a non-moving violation so I would not be subject to a points violation. Second, I would assume it would be a fix it ticket, since this is my first time ever getting pulled over, as well as being extremely cooperative etc, I even peeled off the tint right in front of him, and he still gave my the ticket.

This happened in Greenfield Wisconsin.

Also according to law your headlights don't need to be on until 30 minutes after sunset, which would have been 9:05 I would have to turn them on, if that makes any difference?

The law also states you may not have any other color visible from the front besides White and Amber, I do believe my headlights would fall under that category?

Any input in extremely appreciated, help me get this ticket dropped
Old 06-23-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Re: Pulled over for headlights

The problem was in your assumptions, you should have read the Highway Traffic And Safety Act prior to modifying important parts of your car. Well this is what the court system is for, just bring up all those points when you go to court and make sure you're actually right according to the law and not what you've heard on the street. If you find out you're wrong, just pay the ticket and accept it without wasting the court's time.

But the sun sets at 8:30 in Wisconsin? Damn, the sun is up here until at least 10:30pm. Must be because I'm farther north, I don't know.
Old 06-23-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

The problem was in your assumptions, you should have read the Highway Traffic And Safety Act prior to modifying important parts of your car. Well this is what the court system is for, just bring up all those points when you go to court and make sure you're actually right according to the law and not what you've heard on the street. If you find out you're wrong, just pay the ticket and accept it without wasting the court's time.

But the sun sets at 8:30 in Wisconsin? Damn, the sun is up here until at least 10:30pm. Must be because I'm farther north, I don't know.
Old 06-23-2009
Registered!!

Well, see the thing is, I did look this up and it's so vague it doesn't really say anything but you cannot have lights that resemble an emergency vehicle or police car etc which it didn't, and it says that the only lights that can be illuminated from the from are white and amber, which my headlights would fall into that category. I don't care about the ticket, all I care about is the points, I shouldn't have gotten points for this since it's not a moving violation correct?
Old 06-23-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I believe using off road parts on the road is a moving violation. Check the act for anything related to headlight modification. I bet there's something in there about not being allowed to apply a film to your headlights.....or even being able to modify them at all.
Old 06-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only a few states (IL is one of em) allow yellow headlights. in most states only white is legal, and ofcourse there are exceptions to account for different color temps, otherwise hid would be illegal since its a totally different type of white. a moving violation for equipment is just silly and the cop should know better. thats like getting points cause you have a burnt out bulb. that you will win in court for sure, the most you will get is a fine, but usually its just a fix-it ticket. and if you took the film off in front of him, you shouldve just got a warning. sounds like piggy was having a bad day.
Old 06-24-2009
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

look at 305.11... not legal

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/cod...s/trans305.pdf
Old 06-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rednwhite04

I understand this, but it also says, 'This paragraph applies only at times when the use of headlights is required.' Which would not include me, because sunset on that day was 8:35 and you have 30 minutes from time of sunset to put on your lights, I was still withing legal time to have them on.

Would this not make sense?
Old 06-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well i dont think it works that way, cause you had your headlights on and therefore the headlight rules apply, whether or not you are supposed to have them on is not the issue. alot of states also require headlights to be used when its raining and wipers are needed, even during the daytime. theres no doubt you are at fault, but it should not have been a serious situation with tickets and points being taken away.