Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Will this ticket affect my insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006
Su Mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
Will this ticket affect my insurance?

So I was in downtown Raleigh this past weekend going to a bar with a bunch of friends for my roomates birthday.

I was the only sober driver, driving his car with 3 other intoxicated friends. As i was following 2 vehicles, I see the one in front is about to make a right hand turn. So I check my blind spot behind me, look back and I notice the street light turns red right as i was crossing the pedestrian crossing lines. I didnt have time to stop, if I would have slammed on my brakes I would have flew through the intersection anyways. Few seconds later i see the lights behind me and I pull over and get a traffic ticket for running a red light.

Heres the question: I have a Maryland license and am insured in Maryland. Since I got the ticket in North Carolina, will I get any points on my driving record? Will this affect my insurance premium?

I was told by two police officers, one from NC and one from MD that it WOULD NOT affect my insurance. As these tickets do not "carry over states."
I talked to my insurance agent this morning and he told me it doesn't matter where the ticket was, a ticket is a ticket and yes it will affect my premium. Is my agent bsing me and trying to make money off me? Which one is the truth? Just want to know whether or not I should just pay the ticket and move on, or actually go all the way back to Raleigh on my court date and try to get the points off my record.

Also, does anyone know what the court system is like in NC? How strict are they with minor traffic tickets if i were to plead guilty? I know in MD most of the time if the cop doesn't show up, they drop everything. How is it in NC?
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

eharkins will become famous soon enougheharkins will become famous soon enough
I don't know anything officially. But I have got a ticket in Georgia, Maryland, and Delaware and none of them have shown up on my Alabama license or insurance. A cop in Delaware told me the same thing you were told, that it wouldn't get sent to my home state. I also did some research on the internet and I found a couple of sites that said there are only a couple of states that report your ticket to your home state, New York and New Jersey being the two that I remember. But the ticket I got in georgia was back in 2003 and it still hasn't shown up. But, I have never called my insurance and ask them, or changed anything in my policy for fear that it'll show up. Sorry for the long post. Just my experience.

EMiLY
Old 02-06-2006
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
I hope i didn't hurt my chances by speaking with my insurance agent.
Old 02-06-2006
Banned

djrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to all
up here in jersey is if you get any movin violation....... its points or pay $250 per point....... i got a careless drivin which wouldve been 2 points..... i paid 500 but no points
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

mikenam is an unknown quantity at this point
no they show up. Most of the time the DA tries to cut u a deal but u still have to pay but it won't show up on the insurance. they just want your money. every time ive been there the DA reduced my ticket to something else. one time i had to take classes.
Old 02-10-2006
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
In NJ, if you get a violation in another state, and the state reports it to NJ, you will get a generic "out of state violation" on your record, and I believe it carries two points.

The states must talk to one another about violations, or DUIs and DWIs from other states wouldn't cause your license to be revoked, or influence subsequent in state violations that may cause suspensions.
Old 02-10-2006
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, like everyone else said... most states have reciprocity for things like this, so that it may get reported. Also, it'd depend on your insurance company (is it a smaller, more local one vs. a national chain - more likely to find out). I'm pretty sure if insurance finds out about it, then it'll hit you w/ points no matter where it took place.